The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Not for long I hope. But recent bĂȘtises deserve a temporary holiday in Limoges (as Joffre would have put it!)

David

Perhaps Stellenbosch or however you spell it could be an alternative vacation destination? Don't be too hard on yourself mate; staring at spreadsheets does that to you. I was 6 foot 2 and enormously popular before I discovered Excel and now look at me......

Perhaps the team would consider the identity of this gentleman since the oval ball is currently in vogue in these parts......

Pete.

post-101238-0-12502700-1407706948_thumb.

Perhaps Stellenbosch or however you spell it could be an alternative vacation destination? Don't be too hard on yourself mate; staring at spreadsheets does that to you. I was 6 foot 2 and enormously popular before I discovered Excel and now look at me......

Perhaps the team would consider the identity of this gentleman since the oval ball is currently in vogue in these parts......

Pete.

It's Dave Gallaher - "The father of All Black Rugby".

It's Dave Gallaher - "The father of All Black Rugby".

It sure is; I just liked the photograph and kept it but subsequently I have found that Gallaher served in the 2nd Auckland with some of my amateur footballers. He had previously served in the Boer war and was mortally wounded on the Gravenstafel spur on 4th October 1917. He was 44, although he had lied about his age and his grave in Nine Elms says he was 41. Three of my footballers fell in the same period, one on the same day.

Pete.

It sure is; I just liked the photograph and kept it but subsequently I have found that Gallaher served in the 2nd Auckland with some of my amateur footballers. He had previously served in the Boer war and was mortally wounded on the Gravenstafel spur on 4th October 1917. He was 44, although he had lied about his age and his grave in Nine Elms says he was 41. Three of my footballers fell in the same period, one on the same day.

Pete.

This is from The Free Lance, one of New Zealand's most popular newspapers, 19 October 1917:

Dave Gallaher, soldier, champion footballer, good citizen, and a manly fellow, has paid the supreme sacrifice, viz., that of losing his life in the service of his country.The writer has known this Auckland footballer for many years, and has always held him in the highest respect, principally on account of his prowess as a footballer, and as a leader of men. Dave Gallaher will be remembered as long as Rugby football is played as the captain of the famous "All Blacks", who had such a phenomenally victorious tour of the British Isles in 1905. He was appointed leader of this team by the New Zealand Rugby Union, that body deciding that he was the strongest man amongst those selected to act as leader. That he justified their confidence is a matter of history now, and that he knew the game of Rugby from A to Z - a necessary qualification in a capable captain - is proved by the standard work, "The Complete Rugby Footballer", compiled by Dave Gallaher in collaboration with W.J. Stead, the vice-captain of the "All Blacks".

Besides his connection with the "All Blacks" Dave Gallaher played a strong part in helping on the fortunes of Rugby football, more particularly in Auckland. For many years he coached the Auckland Grammar School in the ethics and practice of the game, was sole selector of Auckland representative teams, and assisted in the selection of North Island and New Zealand teams. In the meantime he represented Auckland in its interprovisional games. The Ponsonby Club in Auckland has now lost three fine fellows - New Zealand representatives the three of them - in Dave Gallaher, George Sellar and Frank Wilson.

Dave Gallaher went through the South African War, returning from that contest a regimental sergeant-major. After the return of the "All Blacks" he settled down and married a sister of A.H. Francis, a fine Auckland and New Zealand representative forward. With the rest of us he was looking forward to the end of the war, and did not anticipate that his turn to go would come for some time. But one day the cable brought the news that his younger brother had been killed in action, and Dave promptly enlisted. It hit him hard indeed the loss of his bright young brother and the fighting spirit in him would not be denied. And now he has "gone west" himself. Our sincere sympathies are extended to his wife and other relatives in the passing of a fine upright man and a true blue sport.

Thanks for that helpjpl; there is something about contemporary reports that I really appreciate. I'd forgotten to mention about his brother too.

Pete.

Inmates and Witters

I promised a report when I got to 750 people on the spreadsheet (whether you wanted it or not!).

My via dolorosa has now reached page 273 of WIT? which is around the start of June and about 6800 posts in. Since the end of March highlights have included the painting (#5094) which Martin identified and which earned the Forum (if not the thread) some publicity in the Daily Mail and on the BBC website. It also saw the first post by thread stalwart Uncle George (#5296) and Stoppage Drill's resignation as thread Super-villain with a ceremonial handing of the keys of his fake volcano to neverforget following NF's byzantine clues for the writers of Mutiny on the Bounty having tormented Witters for nigh on a week. However following a Cromwellian quotation we saw SD invested as WIT?'s Lord Protector by Fattyowls (#6808).

The 753rd WIT (#6817) was the first WAIWA (Who Am I Writing About), a brilliant innovation by Uncle George that opened up a whole new avenue of opportunity as it allowed Witters to post descriptions about Great War personalities too visually well known to have been featured otherwise.

Unfortunately this period also saw a suspected second outbreak of the visual recognition software that threatened to sink the thread way back in January. As before the signs were a 100% hit rate and a simple announcement of the name without preamble or back story. A pithy comment by the Lord Protector seemed to do the trick however and of course we will never know for sure whether there was a problem or not.

The period also saw the normal bewildering range of WITs including any number of identikit moustachioed Frenchmen that Pete continued heroically to argue did not look like each other and Robert Nivelle. There was also the usual range of fauna with a lion cub, several dogs and a small deer being identified with bewildering speed by neverforget and CarylW. There were less TEL related pictures than normal as Ghazala was hors de combat for a while but the King of the Belgians and Georges Carpentier continued to make more comebacks than Sinatra.

For my pick of the WITs for April and May I am going to be self indulgent (as if this wasn't enough of an act of self indulgence already :hypocrite: ) and pick one of my contributions - Edward Fegen VC

post-66715-0-19822300-1407790918_thumb.j

Fegen's Great War exploit of rescuing men from a burning ship showed tremendous seamanship but his single handed defence of a convoy was simply epic. Captain of an armed merchantman 'Jervis Bay' he fought a three hour battle with the pocket battleship Admiral Scheer, before going down with his ship. 31 of the 37 convoy ships escaped because of the time he bought them. That has got to be one of the best naval VCs. Worth reading the full story in the extensive library.

Well I promise not to inflict any more updates on you until I reach the end of WIT? although I do hope to analyse WIT??? as well before the end of the hols.

David

Are you publishing your research, David ? There's been too many books on "100 objects" etc linked to WW1, why not 100 "obscure" people ?

While we consider Carl's clues (a somewhat generous description, I feel) and photo here's one we've had before to test your memory David. I thought it was difficult but it went very quickly.

post-48281-0-34757900-1407791460.jpg

As you'll have gathered from recent posts Steve, my memory is not what it was apparently. However I don't think I've come across this chap yet. Did he appear post 3rd June?

David

PS Where do I begin in the publishing game: 'The Great War in 100 French Generals', 'The Great War in 100 animals', 'TEL and the principle of 6 degrees of separation in the Great War', 'Hussars I have known by Steven Broomfield' ?

Suggestions?

The Great War in 100 Cute Donkeys gets my vote. We really do need to get out more; that said I went outside once, the graphics weren't great.

another one

who is this ? (connected to a famous nurse and a famous ship)

Carl

Okay Carl, I tried to cold turkey but can't. So here goes. Is the famous nurse Edith Cavell? I don't know any famous Belgian ships so is the famous ship Titanic or Lusitania?

David

The Great War in 100 Cute Donkeys gets my vote. We really do need to get out more; that said I went outside once, the graphics weren't great.

:lol::lol:

"The Great War in a 1,000 Faces" (careful on the spelling !)

Mine was definitely pre June 3rd but he was killed much later in the summer of 1914. His old "regiment" will commemorate the centenary of his death on 12 September this year.

"The Great War in a 1,000 Faces" (careful on the spelling !)

The frightening thing is that that might just work! We could even have Centurion's original chap as the 1000th face with a prize for any reader who could identify him.

I think I probably need to lie down in a dark room somewhere

David

I've just remembered I had a quiz question to ask relating to the thread that I meant to include in my summary:

What do Chris Baker, Stephen Fry, Teddy and Phoebe Corrigan have in common?

David

Okay Carl, I tried to cold turkey but can't. So here goes. Is the famous nurse Edith Cavell? I don't know any famous Belgian ships so is the famous ship Titanic or Lusitania?

David

:lol:

Could the "Belgian" ship be SS Brussels (Captain Fryatt)?

Ron

Can`t make head or tail out of any of the outstanding offerings, including David`s quiz question, but wanted to say what a sterling job our "Thread-keeper" is doing. Fantastic effort, I must say, and can`t wait to be privy to the final masterpiece. (Part one, of course!!)

Don`t know if I should say this really, but your tormentor from Steve was actually post June 3rd. (Post July and August 3rd too, come to that.) :whistle:

No, not him.

The poem I refer to is about a woman who, against advice, strays into an urban no-go area, and disappears.

The poem is titled 'Disobedience'.

another one

who is this ? (connected to a famous nurse and a famous ship)

Carl

Is it Dr Antoine Depage, Belgian Royal Surgeon?

He founded the Berkendael Institue and appointed Edith Cavell matron.

His wife Marie, a nurse, died in the sinking of the Lusitania.

If people go down to the end of the town, well,

what can anyone do?

Clouseau: "It is my business to know. I gather the facts. I sift the clues. And before you know it [he clicks his fingers]: the case is solved."

EDIT: helpjpl has correctly identified A.A. Milne.

Don`t know if I should say this really, but your tormentor from Steve was actually post June 3rd. (Post July and August 3rd too, come to that.) :whistle:

Well I must be going blind as well as forgetful NF because I can't see that picture anywhere, unless he is the subject of a painting

David

I said we'd had him before, not that particular image. Here's another one of him (before I post the one of him that I thought was difficult and went very quickly)

post-48281-0-46748600-1407876210_thumb.j

Well that looks like Guynemer to me

David