The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

4 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Pity he wasn't RFC.

Pretty much everything but. 

He was sacked from his intelligence role in ww2 for breaking the rules regarding obtaining intelligence and dispensing "summary justice".

Mary Hayley Mills and John Mills come to mind, but that doesn't mean i know who this is!

3 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Mary Hayley Mills and John Mills come to mind, but that doesn't mean i know who this is!

You're half way there SJ. Just need to find granddad now ?  

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

You're half way there SJ. Just need to find granddad now ?  

According to the master of all knowledge (Google) Sir John Mills' father was Lewis Mills?

5 minutes ago, steve fuller said:

According to the master of all knowledge (Google) Sir John Mills' father was Lewis Mills?

Quite so; which rules out one granddad?

7 minutes ago, steve fuller said:

lol! Excellent! So that makes him Colonel Francis Haley Bell?

And here he is - https://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Hayley_Bell-7 0 I'll have a look for him in my files tonight, curious now!

That's the one. Well played http://www.ww1infantrycos.co.uk/bell.html

1 minute ago, steve fuller said:

Good story too, bit of a character by the looks. 

Certainly was.

I think I need a little lie down now after that one ?

50 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I think I need a little lie down now after that one

A pot of tea, I think, should do it-Nice day, sun has got his hat on,etc- so a nice easy one between the sips of Earl Grey

Somerset LI -for those scrabbling for their reading glasses

Image result for arnold ridley

Argh! I know I know, but I can't remember!

Somerset, not Harry Patch is it?

Edited by seaJane

Is this Arnold Ridley? If it is, it's his third appearance (same photo every time)!

EDIT - it IS Arnold Ridley.

Edited by Uncle George

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Arnold Ridley? If it is, it's his third appearance (same photo every time)!

EDIT - it IS Arnold Ridley.

Yes, of course. But still worth the re-visit- a  good-hearted man  and a wounded veteran. The truth of his war service and wounds on the Somme must always colour his portrayal of Godfrey- positively,of course. The episode of "Dad''s Army" entitled "Branded" was an excellent commentary that not only the toughs and brutes served with distinction in the trenches.

You are allowed a second cup of Earl Grey as reward

Image result for john eden 1914

This chap may have been up before. Strikingly similar to his younger brother,who achieved more fame- although, characteristically, made no mention  in his memoir of the war of winning the MC for bringing  in his wounded platoon sergeant

Oh-and this chap should be familiar:     Image result for john reith

Important connection with The Savoy

Edit-No,it's not a relative of Brian Rix

Edited by Guest

9 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Here's an interesting article on John Lauder, which says that he was despised by his men, who may have murdered him:

http://www.firstfoot.com/Great Scot/lauder.htm

I remember this being discussed when he first came up on the thread UG. I recall the general view was that there was no other evidence to support it.

I must say its good to see what I'm sure a number of us Inmates and Witters still regard as our favourite thread having another little outbreak. My being reduced to the ranks at school thus summer should mean I have time to update the database of names that have appeared here. The statistics still continue to boggle with over 1500 recorded by last summer, so I would imagine we are well beyond that now. The posts on WIT ??? and it's predecessor have just passed 14,000 and the combined views are over 169,000. The juggernaut rolls on.

David

8 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

I remember this being discussed when he first came up on the thread UG. I recall the general view was that there was no other evidence to support it.

I must say its good to see what I'm sure a number of us Inmates and Witters still regard as our favourite thread having another little outbreak. My being reduced to the ranks at school thus summer should mean I have time to update the database of names that have appeared here. The statistics still continue to boggle with over 1500 recorded by last summer, so I would imagine we are well beyond that now. The posts on WIT ??? and it's predecessor have just passed 14,000 and the combined views are over 169,000. The juggernaut rolls on.

David

It's what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. More power to it. Good to see you mate ?

I'm impressed that the admirable Arnold Ridley should have appeared three times. As we have some new recruits joining the more longstanding inmates (and contributing some good stuff) I think this is a Good Thing. We perhaps need another of our self denying ordinances that if we recognise someone from last time (or increasingly from the time before) we sit on our cyber hands for a while and maybe contribute the odd clue. What does the team think?

Pete.

Edited by Fattyowls
To remove a WiT? as there are already two on the go, I'll save it for later.

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

If it isn't a close blood relative of Brian Rix then it should be. As an alternative is this the Reverend David Railton?

Pete.

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

The damaged face gives it away, it is John Reith. Unusual to see him smiling. Perhaps his resemblance to Brian Rix has just been pointed out to him

David

5 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Image result for john eden 1914

This chap may have been up before. Strikingly similar to his younger brother,who achieved more fame- although, characteristically, made no mention  in his memoir of the war of winning the MC for bringing  in his wounded platoon sergeant

Pretty certain this is a new one, although his brother featured quite early on. This is John Eden, elder brother of the Prime Minister to be, Anthony Eden. John was killed early in the war and the youngest brother, Nicholas, was lost with the Indefatigable at Jutland. What with his own harrowing experiences on the Western Front, and his subsequent gruelling work in the Second World War, I sometimes think it is hardly surprising Eden's judgement was so flawed when he was PM.

David

Edited by David Ridgus

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm impressed that the admirable Arnold Ridley should have appeared three times. As we have some new recruits joining the more longstanding inmates (and contributing some good stuff) I think this is a Good Thing. We perhaps need another of our self denying ordinances that if we recognise someone from last time (or increasingly from the time before) we sit on our cyber hands for a while and maybe contribute the odd clue. What does the team think?

Pete.

This part of the team agrees Pete. Although with my track record of failing to recognise people the second time that I had identified or even posted the first time around (as kindly pointed out by our comrades nf and UG) it means I was probably going to do it by default anyway!

David