The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Not Bone, mon Oncle.

The drawing 'Waiting for the Wounded' which your link takes us to is wonderful.

Thanks (or should I say 'Cheers!' ? No, best not.)

My man is American.

5 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Then it must be Harry Crookshank- now a largely forgotten figure- save only for the nature of his war wounds. A salutary reminder that each wounded veteran's wars continue every day of their lives, not just until the ink of the politician's pen signs off a peace treaty.

Let us remember him- as this is GWF- as Captain Harry Crookshank, Grenadier Guards and latterly the Honourable and Gallant Member for Gainsborough.

Those Pals who still have copies of old programmes from the 1953 Coronation might like to find the group around the throne during the homage. Among the robed and coronetted peers there is one man wearing a blue coatee with gold embroidery on the front, and white breeches and stockings. That is Harry Crookshank, who at the time was Leader of the House of Commons and Lord Privy Seal, and hence one of the Great Officers of State.

He received a viscountcy on retiring from the Commons, and is buried in Lincoln Cathedral.

Ron

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Not Bone, mon Oncle.

The drawing 'Waiting for the Wounded' which your link takes us to is wonderful.

Thanks (or should I say 'Cheers!' ? No, best not.)

My man is American.

Is he the proto-Prohibitionist and Founder of the Anti-Saloon League, Howard Hyde Russell?

http://historyinthecity.weebly.com/prohibition-and-world-war-i.html

Edited by Uncle George

11 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Those Pals who still have copies of old programmes from the 1953 Coronation might like to find the group around the throne during the homage. Among the robed and coronetted peers there is one man wearing a blue coatee with gold embroidery on the front, and white breeches and stockings. That is Harry Crookshank, who at the time was Leader of the House of Commons and Lord Privy Seal, and hence one of the Great Officers of State.

He received a viscountcy on retiring from the Commons, and is buried in Lincoln Cathedral.

Ron

I saw this poignant note on Wikipedia:

"He had been offered a peerage by Churchill in February 1940, but considered it at the time an insult as his First World War wounds had left him incapable of fathering any heir to a title."

10 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he the proto-Prohibitionist and Founder of the Anti-Saloon League, Howard Hyde Russell?

http://historyinthecity.weebly.com/prohibition-and-world-war-i.html

No, but you are on the right tracks. My man held the office which makes him an appropriate WiT subject from 1913 to 1921. On 1 June 1914 he became involved with a General - in a roundabout sense, so take that clue in a cryptic sense - which has ongoing repercussions, and which provide the motive for the puns.

14 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

On 1 June 1914 he became involved with a General - in a roundabout sense, ...

I'm getting colder now, I can tell ...

Edited by Uncle George

Josephus Daniels,  the "progressive" Democrat who issued the "General" Order on 1st June 1914 that makes the US Navy "dry".  Obviously not progressive enough-  The Royal Navy has achieved far more through History by being completely p**ssed.

47 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Josephus Daniels,  the "progressive" Democrat who issued the "General" Order on 1st June 1914 that makes the US Navy "dry".  Obviously not progressive enough-  The Royal Navy has achieved far more through History by being completely p**ssed.

Well done Monsieur Arouet. Daniels was Secretary of the Navy.

Edited by Stoppage Drill

Possibly that none of the 3 went to school in England???

First is Kitchener- (Montreux)

Third is KG5-  Private tutor and Royal Navy

Only works if the middle one is Richard Burdon Haldane- Gottingen????

29 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Possibly that none of the 3 went to school in England???

First is Kitchener- (Montreux)

Third is KG5-  Private tutor and Royal Navy

Only works if the middle one is Richard Burdon Haldane- Gottingen????

No - see the first two words of the post: the connection falls within the 'Dry' theme.

Didn't the King give up alcohol during the war? Are these well known teetotallers?

David

They were not teetotallers; however, they signed up for Ll.G's 'King's Pledge' scheme for the renunciation of alcohol for the duration of the War. Roy Jenkins, in his biography of WSC, takes up the tale:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well done!!!   Devious-but good history.

Just a note on the previous WIT- the miserable wretch Josephus Daniels who quite unwarrantably denied American  sailors of a well-deserved snifter. Wouldn't it be nice to discover that he was known in life by the dimunitive of his first name........ a man promoting abstention called "Jack Daniels" would be a delicious irony indeed

6 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

When there's a USN ship in the Solent there's a regular shuttle by oar to anything RN in the area. :)

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

When there's a USN ship in the Solent there's a regular shuttle by oar to anything RN in the area

How refined- in Plymouth/Devonport, the USN head for anything RN-or licensed.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Who are these two? Seers both.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Not sure, but I think the first one could be Bernhardi; author of "Germany's next war."

No idea who the second one is. 

Ah, you bring out the old bookseller in me:  The first is indeed Bernhardi- whose book added to the scaremongering before 1914.

The other is Norman Angell, whose book "The Great Illusion" proved a bestseller- and might well be the reference for "La Grande Illusion" to cineastes among us.

Angell's book was first published-largely at his own expense- as "Europe's Optical Illusion"-and it was a flop. Angell gave many of them away as gifts to the great and the good -  My memory is that he used his original name of "Ralph Lane". I have had several copies across the years.-each with a presentation inscription,so I am not sure how many were actually sold

There must be something about scaremongering-both the Bernhardi an the Angell were published in red covers, although success came to Angell when he changed both the title and the colour of the cover to green

Yes NF and GUEST. Barbara Tuchman writes about both in her masterpiece 'Guns of August' (1962). 'The Great Illusion', she tells us, "proved that war was impossible". Bernhardi's book 'Germany and the Next War', says Tuchman, "was to be as influential as Angell's but from an opposite point of view." 

That is the literarily prolific William Le Queux.