The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

24 minutes ago, seaJane said:

That is the literarily prolific William Le Queux.

Well done-  Author of "The Invasion of 1910" (now not a common book)  - which,as Mr.Broomfield might say, must have been organised by South West Trains, as it actually arrived in 1914

Well done-  Author of "The Invasion of 1910" (now not a common book)  - which,as Mr.Broomfield might say, must have been organised by South West Trains, as it actually arrived in 1914

Available on kindle for 91p. I must say to my slight surprise I rather enjoyed it

David

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Another prophet here. Or was he?

image.jpg

Well if he is looking into the future he clearly doesn't like what he's seeing!

A clue, then, for this prescient politician: he was the last Russian Imperial Minister of Interior to die from natural causes. His six successors were all assassinated or murdered.

Meanwhile, what business does this chap have, here on this theme of Great War soothsayers, seers and prophets?

image.jpg

Hmm! He's not Sergei Witte is he? I know he thought the Tsar mad to go to war both with Japan and Germany

David

PS by the way I love that picture of WSC he just radiates energy, vitality and intelligence. In many ways I'm not a big fan but you just have to admire his whole force of nature personality

Edited by David Ridgus

1 minute ago, David Ridgus said:

Hmm! He's not Sergei Witte is he? I know he thought the Tsar mad to go to war both with Japan and Germany

David

Not him, no. My chap wrote an eponymous Memorandum for the Tsar in early 1914.

Of course the Durnovo Memorandum. That goodness none of my A Level class are on the Forum, I actually teach them Russian history from Emancipation to the Revolution! 

David

Edited by David Ridgus

Churchill- possibly his contribution to the 1931 volume of essays, edited by J.C.Squire-"If It had Happened Otherwise". Churchill's essay was on "What if lee Had Not Won at Gettysburg"- really just an excuse for a ramble about Anglo-American relations and how they might develop.

The book was a commercial flop and for many years it adorned the shelves of "dogs" in many a tired old bookshop-along with such other contenders as "The Kangaroo Keeps On Talking" and "Around the World With a Dictaphone"

It is a fascinating document. Above all it is his almost uncanny predictions about the start and the end of the war. His unpicking of the alliances is a tour de force. You just wish he had been foreign minister and not that clot Sazonov

David

Churchill- possibly his contribution to the 1931 volume of essays, edited by J.C.Squire-"If It had Happened Otherwise". Churchill's essay was on "What if lee Had Not Won at Gettysburg"- really just an excuse for a ramble about Anglo-American relations and how they might develop.

The book was a commercial flop and for many years it adorned the shelves of "dogs" in many a tired old bookshop-along with such other contenders as "The Kangaroo Keeps On Talking" and "Around the World With a Dictaphone"

No - I'm specifically referencing the Great War. 

Blimey I always thought Lee lost at Gettysburg!

9 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Blimey I always thought Lee lost at Gettysburg!

It was a literary artifice for Churchill to have the excuse to waffle about Anglo-American relations.

Anyway,how could Lee have lost at Gettysburg? Surely he had been offered command of the Union armies???

8 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

No - I'm specifically referencing the Great War. 

Didn't an historian find a bunch of letters he wrote in about 1912 predicting the date and nature of the war?

David

edit: just checked on the extensive library and yes he wrote to his cousin the Duke of Marlborough saying there was going to be a crisis but not to worry as would save the country and empire! So WSC

Edited by David Ridgus

Just now, David Ridgus said:

Didn't an historian find a bunch of letters he wrote in about 1912 predicting the date and nature of the war?

David

Well, not letters, but another (after Durnovo) remarkable Memorandum, written in 1911:

https://hubpages.com/education/World-War-1-History-Churchill-Described-the-1914-German-Invasion-of-France-in-1911

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Well, not letters, but another (after Durnovo) remarkable Memorandum, written in 1911:

https://hubpages.com/education/World-War-1-History-Churchill-Described-the-1914-German-Invasion-of-France-in-1911

This is different, earlier and much more precise than what I was referring to.

What a far-sighted chap he was:

" ... This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year ... "

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

What a far-sighted chap he was:

" ... This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year ... "

And such a turn of phrase. Small wonder we have had so many WAIWAs from him over the years on this thread

I suppose it might have been predicted, that this chap would be posted:

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

So this is Jan Bloch presumably?

David

I had the privilege of hearing this man speak at a meeting nearly 40 years ago-and spoke briefly to him afterwards. A man of absolute integrity. With a distinguished record in the Great War

(Archibald) Fenner Brockway, Baron Brockway, by Bassano Ltd, 19 May 1930 - NPG x31242 - © National Portrait Gallery, London

Edited by Guest