The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

10 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

I had the privilege of hearing this man speak at a meeting nearly 40 years ago-and spoke briefly to him afterwards. A man of absolute integrity. With a distinguished record in the Great War

(Archibald) Fenner Brockway, Baron Brockway, by Bassano Ltd, 19 May 1930 - NPG x31242 - © National Portrait Gallery, London

He looks very like Tony/Hilary Benn - Tony's father William had a very distinguished GW (and later) career; but this is not him. But is there a connection?

23 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He looks very like Tony/Hilary Benn - Tony's father William had a very distinguished GW (and later) career; but this is not him. But is there a connection?

It's not  Benn- but you are in the right end of the political spectrum. Both Tony Benn and his father knew this man well.

11 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

It's not  Benn- but you are in the right end of the political spectrum. Both Tony Benn and his father knew this man well.

Is he Fenner Brockway?

Hover over the picture, and you will find that it is!

Ron

11 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Hover over the picture, and you will find that it is!

Ron

Ron-You cheat you- Just because I can't find a JPEG function on my aged MS Professional!!!

Yes, dear old Fenner Brockway- old when I met him at a by-election meeting in Ilford in 1978-but still sparky, principled and fluent. And a leading C.O. of the war. 

Ps Try not to cheat on the other one-you should be able to work out the St.Pancras without moving the mouse!!!

Quite so - which is why I did not identify Fenner Brockway first, and why I am not identifying the gentleman connected with St Pancras.

Ron

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Our long-standing (but so often disregarded) self-denying ordinance applies. 

You know I am 100% with you on this one Uncle George. 

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Quite so - which is why I did not identify Fenner Brockway first, and why I am not identifying the gentleman connected with St Pancras.

Ron

Good man, Ron.

3 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Ron-You cheat you- Just because I can't find a JPEG function on my aged MS Professional!!!

Yes, dear old Fenner Brockway- old when I met him at a by-election meeting in Ilford in 1978-but still sparky, principled and fluent. And a leading C.O. of the war. 

Ps Try not to cheat on the other one-you should be able to work out the St.Pancras without moving the mouse!!!

It might be a good idea if you can rename the picture before you post it Mr. V. I didn't even have to hover or click on the picture. The information was there on my email notification.

Thus:Screenshot_20170331-141325.png.1fe5c2cefdaeaa3ced41275946dac8ae.png

Now then; I'm sure that you will quickly suss who said this:

"Austria has forced Serbia to make a humiliating retreat. There is no longer any reason for war. I am prepared to negotiate for peace."

Ah,Yes-  Technology and I oft adrift.  Right then-  off to get some "stinkers" set on JPEG.

But the St.Pancras one is only partially solve with even the most obliging mouse or e-mail.......

33 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Now then; I'm sure that you will quickly suss who said this:

"Austria has forced Serbia to make a humiliating retreat. There is no longer any reason for war. I am prepared to negotiate for peace."

Berchtold?

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Berchtold?

Not him Uncle. Ever so slightly more English than him, but as I don't wish to mislead, not an Englishman.

13 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Not him Uncle. Ever so slightly more English than him, but as I don't wish to mislead, not an Englishman.

The Kaiser (half English as he was)?

2 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Well, perhaps we can say, one quarter!

Just now, Uncle George said:

Indeed. His eleventh hour message to Austria, which was purposely delayed by his ministers. 

Quote taken from "Royal cousins at war."

Just now, Uncle George said:

Well, perhaps we can say, one quarter!

Yes. Probably he was probably more English than Queen Victoria. (He said flippantly ?)

Now for a bit of head-scratching. Does anyone know which medic's memoirs or published letter actually has a reference to the death of the Kaiser??????? I remember reading this years ago but cnnot remember exactly where.

I believe that it is a reference to Private A.Kaiser, 13th Bn. Middlesex Regiment, who died on the Somme in August 1916-aged 41-  and buried at La Neuville

13 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Yes. Probably he was probably more English than Queen Victoria. (He said flippantly ?)

I read somewhere that the last English King/Queen of England was Edward the Confessor! (Harold II being Danish, apparently).

Image result for lord chetwode

Now-just to muddy the waters a bit. We have had the 3 abstainers of the war years-Now, this chap had a strong family connection to beer........  

And during the Second World War, he was involved in how to get gold to the Nazis......  I don't think the story is well-known but it was done with the best of intentions and with the approval of the authorities. Now just identify him,get the St.Pancras connection and all will be explained....

25 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Now for a bit of head-scratching. Does anyone know which medic's memoirs or published letter actually has a reference to the death of the Kaiser??????? I remember reading this years ago but cnnot remember exactly where.

I believe that it is a reference to Private A.Kaiser, 13th Bn. Middlesex Regiment, who died on the Somme in August 1916-aged 41-  and buried at La Neuville

The Kaiser’s Own

In previous posts we have seen how some ‘alien enemies’ were attacked by their fellow Londoners, and how others joined up to fight for Britain. Others, naturalised citizens or British-born with parents who were aliens ended up as labourers in the Middlesex Regiment’s Alien Labour units.

In 1916, Army Orders established two new battalions in the Middlesex Regiment. These would contain recruits who were British citizens but the children of immigrants from nations with whom Britain was at war; the men were promised that they would not have to bear arms against the enemy. The units were named the 30th and 31st battalions and they served only in the UK. Some additional similar Labour Companies were also formed in 1917 and served in France. The units were known (rather cruelly) by some as “The Kaiser’s Own”.

29 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I read somewhere that the last English King/Queen of England was Edward the Confessor! 

Now I understand why he was called Edward the Confessor. Clearly the first Royal to come out of the closet.

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Now I understand why he was called Edward the Confessor. Clearly the first Royal to come out of the closet.

Excellent!

17 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Image result for lord chetwode

Now-just to muddy the waters a bit. We have had the 3 abstainers of the war years-Now, this chap had a strong family connection to beer........  

And during the Second World War, he was involved in how to get gold to the Nazis......  I don't think the story is well-known but it was done with the best of intentions and with the approval of the authorities. Now just identify him,get the St.Pancras connection and all will be explained....

Is he Montagu Norman, Chairman of the Bank of England, who arranged  for Czech gold to be sent Adolf's way in 1938?

42 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Montagu Norman, Chairman of the Bank of England, who arranged  for Czech gold to be sent Adolf's way in 1938?

Alas, not Monty Norman (the step-dad of Perry Worsthorne of the DT).  Let's make it a lot simpler-as I have added to the mysteries:

"The safety, honour and welfare of your country come first, always and every time. The honour, welfare and comfort of the men you command come next. Your own ease, comfort and safety come last, always and every time." 

24 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Has no-one recognised this chap from #5828?

image.jpg

Not me I'm afraid 

He's a very well known German philosopher: his friend and collaborator is a famous resident of Highgate Cemetery.