The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

7 hours ago, RaySearching said:

Spot on 

Link

Interesting. Wikipedia reports that another uncle was the Richard Dadd who was committed to Broadmoor after murdering his father in 1843.

36 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Interesting. Wikipedia reports that another uncle was the Richard Dadd who was committed to Broadmoor after murdering his father in 1843.

Well, well. I don't know why but I'd always assumed it as a coincidence of names.

David

44 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Quite normal, according to that nice Herr Professor Doktor Freud.

(This is a reply to post 5875)

Is the Durand Group named after him?

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

12 hours ago, seaJane said:

And who came to posthumous public attention a few years ago when a large painting of his, depicting an oasis at night, was identified on The Antiques Roadshow as a lost masterpiece. It was bought for the nation at the valuer's estimate of £100,000.

Ron

• Admin
2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

And who came to posthumous public attention a few years ago when a large painting of his, depicting an oasis at night, was identified on The Antiques Roadshow as a lost masterpiece. It was bought for the nation at the valuer's estimate of £100,000.

Ron

I have a print of DaddsThe Fairy Fellers Masterstroke in my hall. Wonderful detail, and the subject of a song by Queen. There were also two relatives of his, Edmund and Julian  who served in the RWF in the Great War.

4 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

(This is a reply to post 5875)

Is the Durand Group named after him?

Ron

Probably not.  The painting I put up was of Carolus-Duran -the French painter and teacher of John Singer Sargant (hence .."painted by Sargant" was the oblique clue to "Gassed")

The Durand Group  (with a d) go digging on the Western Front- seems that their name was after the first tunnel excavated-built by the French- who their Durand was I don't know!!

(There is also a Duran Group which makes scientific stuff). Not forgetting The Durand Line up on the North-West Frontier  (of India, not Carlisle)  - And, of course, Ron -we all know that your enthusiasm for Gilbert and Sullivan is just a bluff to conceal your true passion.....Duran,Duran

As played by Milo O'Shea, of course.

Ron

21 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

As played by Milo O'Shea, of course.

Ron

Ron-this gets worse.  Trying to deflect attention onto dear old Milo O'Shea and his portrayal of Dr. Durand Durand in Barabarella wont fool us-  Let's face it -the chief attraction of the film-which tends to hold one's attention-is Jane Fonda

What are these gentlemen wielding, and who is credited with their conception???

serve.png.fe2a32662189f37b9966ef52f241836a.png

They look like  Bangalores and if so they were devised by a Captain McClintock

David

1 minute ago, David Ridgus said:

They look like  Bangalores and if so they were devised by a Captain McClintock

David

Spot on Mr. Ridgus. An amusing evaluation of them here from the incomparable Frank Richards:

20170402_201038.jpg.249dfca193c9bfae54eddc1807cf9cc1.jpg

NF 

That is excellent! I really must reread Old Soldiers, it's such a terrific book.

i have to admit although I recognised them as Bangalores it took the extensive library to furnish the name of their creator

David

3 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

NF 

That is excellent! I really must reread Old Soldiers, it's such a terrific book.

i have to admit although I recognised them as Bangalores it took the extensive library to furnish the name of their creator

David

Fair play David. I'm on my first read of it at the moment, and I'm absolutely loving it. What a terrific character he was. It's the most entertaining account of WW1 that I have come across so far. 

11 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Image result for john morley 

And this chap has links to the late Robin Cook-but why???

This is Lord Morley, one of only two members of Asquith's cabinet to resign in protest at the declaration of war in August 1914 (the other was John Burns).

the link to Robin Cook is that Cook resigned from the Labour cabinet in protest over the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

David

And of course it was even more specific, both Morley and Cook were Lord President of the Council at the time of their resignations

David

Edited by David Ridgus

Very impressive lads, especially the Cook/Morley connection. By remarkable coincidence I've just posted about Frank Richard's literary advisors in soldiers. It's one I really must read. (Namedropper Alert) Martin Middlebrook recommended it decades ago but I've never actually got around to following his advice.

Pete.

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Very impressive lads, especially the Cook/Morley connection. By remarkable coincidence I've just posted about Frank Richard's literary advisors in soldiers. It's one I really must read. (Namedropper Alert) Martin Middlebrook recommended it decades ago but I've never actually got around to following his advice.

Pete.

Pete. It's available on Amazon now at less than 4 quid a copy (New, not used) from the Wordery, library of Wales. 

Pete

This is definitely your 'I've never seen Star Wars' moment. I'm amazed you haven't read it but you certainly have a treat in store. I have a spare copy which I will pass on to you.

David

David Ridgus-well done, that man.

Now,  one of "my" local casualties ,in the process of being written up, was Captain Loscombe Law Stable, KIA 1914, with 2 RWF. Dunn-"War the Infantry Knew" has next to nothing on him. But I have "Old Soldiers" in front of me-as well as "Old Soldier Sahib" (for Stable's time in India/Burma)- If you read one, then don't forget the other.

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

Pete

This is definitely your 'I've never seen Star Wars' moment. I'm amazed you haven't read it but you certainly have a treat in store. I have a spare copy which I will pass on to you.

David

David, you are a diamond geezer. There are a lot of things that I should have read which I haven't; many of them recommended by the aforesaid Middlebrook M, in fact thinking about it Martin used to recommend Undertones of War, There's a Devil in the Drum, Old Soldiers Never Die and I've not read any of them. I can see him looking at me disaprovingly over the top of his reading glasses even now.

Pete.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

What is the connection here?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I think I can identify one of your pictures, but I know that I can`t identify the other. 

I`m reluctant to inadvertently spoil things by disclosing my thoughts, but wonder if the ships travelled in packs?

If I am wrong, my cryptic question will make no sense at all to you.