The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

I think I can identify one of your pictures, but I know that I can`t identify the other. 

I`m reluctant to inadvertently spoil things by disclosing my thoughts, but wonder if the ships travelled in packs?

If I am wrong, my cryptic question will make no sense at all to you. 

Yes NF - the gaspers is the clue to the steamer.

I think I'm in the same boat [or, not] as NF. Those funnels do look awfully like cigarettes but I don't know what ship it is.

Edited by seaJane

2 minutes ago, seaJane said:

I think I'm in the same boat [or, not] as NF. Those funnels do look awfully like cigarettes but I don't know what ship it is.

We should get together sometime and exchange information ;)

29 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Yes. NF has I think identified Studdert Kennedy; the ship's appearance gave it a nickname amongst sailors of the Royal Navy.

Edited by Uncle George

So we are not looking for the name of the specific steamer in question?

2 minutes ago, neverforget said:

So we are not looking for the name of the specific steamer in question?

The ship went by two separate formal names, as well as the nickname given it at Gallipoli.

Was it to do with Studdert-Kennedy's nickname too?

I don`t think I`ve any chance of naming the particular steamer, but I`ve just stumbled across the fact that our Tommies were also nicknamed "Woodbines" by the Diggers. 

2 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Woodbines

Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy=Woodbine Willie

HMS Bacchante- "Packet of Woodbines" 

If you`re correct, I think you`re one fag short of a full pack of five. :)

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

If you`re correct, I think you`re one fag short of a full pack of five. :)

Then-at a guess- I must also include the Formidable class pre-dreadnought, HMS London, - to bring it up to the  5 in a packet of Woodbines Nickname="The Smoke"

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Woodbines

Geoffrey Studdert Kennedy=Woodbine Willie

HMS Bacchante- "Packet of Woodbines" 

Correct of course on Woodbine Willie;

correct on 'Packet of Woodbines';

incorrect on HMS Bacchante.

Two out of three ain't bad.

44 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Then-at a guess- I must also include the Formidable class pre-dreadnought, HMS London, - to bring it up to the  5 in a packet of Woodbines Nickname="The Smoke"

Sorry - not HMS London either. She was a ship of the Imperial Russian Navy, seized by the Royal Navy after the Revolution.

Of course,Askold-Glory IV   Should have counted the number of funnels at the start.

Just out of curiosity-which part of Devon?  Sorry,"God's Own Country"

Edited by Guest

11 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Of course,Askold-Glory IV   Should have counted the number of funnels at the start.

Yes! I first came upon her in the author Charle Barry's rather curious memoir 'Unsought Adventure' (1939). Barry is writng of Murmansk in 1917:

"It was here that I had my first sight of the 'Packet o' Woodbines,' the five-funnelled Russian cruiser whose real name was the Askold, which had been re-christened by our men at the Dardanelles. I was to know her again later as the 'Glory IV.' Now she was riding in the roads at Murmansk, her fires drawn."

Her nickname is mentioned here:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russian_cruiser_Askold;

and her Gallipoli service here:

http://australiarussia.com/ascoldENFIN.htm

Edited by Uncle George

19 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Just out of curiosity-which part of Devon?  Sorry,"God's Own Country"

I was brought up in Plymouth, in the house where my Grandmother was born in 1902 (when the house stood in Demport - I was made to feel this important distinction). 

But now I live in the charming Market town of Tavistock.

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I was brought up in Plymouth, in the house where my Grandmother was born in 1902 (when the house stood in Demport - I was made to feel this important distinction). 

But now I live in the charming Market town of Tavistock.

Me-Plympton.  Dad from Demport- Packington Street, Stoke. I try to be careful to refer to the "Three Towns" as the City of Plymouth-not just plain Plymouth. And to remember that Plymouth stood for Parliament in the Civil War (which gives us Prince Rupert Road, Lipson-also Prince Maurice Road-and,of course, Freedom Fields)- and when Plymouth became a City, it's charter was granted by Parliament, not the King in remembrance of this

Robert Browning wrote that if there was one thing you could be assured of in England and that was that it was raining in Tavistock.

Well I'm a Brummie through and through, but lived as a child in Tavistock Road, Acocks Green, so there's a coincidence. 

P.S. Woodbines can never fail to remind of my dear old Grandad, (seen on my avatar) so it's been a nostalgic trip all round for me this afternoon. ?

12 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Me-Plympton.  Dad from Demport- Packington Street, Stoke. I try to be careful to refer to the "Three Towns" as the City of Plymouth-not just plain Plymouth. And to remember that Plymouth stood for Parliament in the Civil War (which gives us Prince Rupert Road, Lipson-also Prince Maurice Road-and,of course, Freedom Fields)- and when Plymouth became a City, it's charter was granted by Parliament, not the King in remembrance of this

Robert Browning wrote that if there was one thing you could be assured of in England and that was that it was raining in Tavistock.

Well I didn't know that, about the charter, or that, about Tavistock. Thanks. My Dad is also from Demport - Penlee Road - neighbours they were! 

Local history is a passion of mine. I have written about Demport on the Forum here:

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well I'm a Brummie through and through, but lived as a child in Tavistock Road, Acocks Green, so there's a coincidence. 

P.S. Woodbines can never fail to remind of my dear old Grandad, (seen on my avatar) so it's been a nostalgic trip all round for me this afternoon. ?

For me too. What a joy this Forum can be.

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

For me too. What a joy this Forum can be.

Absolutely! And you can't beat a nice trip down Memory Lane. 

My other half was living in Tavistock when I met him and I have a distant cousin in Colebrook.

My sister and her husband live in Tavistock. I may well be visiting her later this year.

Ron

Speaking of Charles Barry (as I was on #5918), who are these two, and what do they [and Barry] have in common?

image.jpg

image.jpg

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

I have a distant cousin in Colebrook.

In the Colebrook Inn perchance??   See The Times 3 Saturdays back- "Weekend" for stays at Boringdon Hall, half a mile north of Colebrook.

And he left Tavistock!!  Gosh-he must be rather fond of you.

29 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

My sister and her husband live in Tavistock. I may well be visiting her later this year.

Ron

DO!!