The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

16 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Reminds me of van Gogh but can't be :)

Actually he does rather? but you need to look further afield. In fact, on another continent. 

2 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Is he from the Latin America region, looks a bit of a Mexican stereotype from the spaghetti westerns of the late 60's

Now we are on the right continent.

Should be pretty easy now.

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he a veteran of the Spanish- or Phillipine-American War?

He was involved in his country's fight for independence from Spain.

After this was realised he became a leading politician. 

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

He was involved in his country's fight for independence from Spain.

After this was realised he became a leading politician. 

Presdident Mario Menocal of Cuba?

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Presdident Mario Menocal of Cuba?

Well played U.George. Declared war on Germany a day after the US, and then on Austria/Hungary in December.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_García_Menocal

A quite interesting article in his own words on the matter here:

http://jfredmacdonald.com/worldwarone1914-1918/latinamerica-18cubas-part.html

Who's this chap? Disliked by Hankey and Ll.G, rated by WSC. He fell under a tube train at the age of 89; and at 91, he fell out of a tree.

image.jpg

6 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Who's this chap? Disliked by Hankey and Ll.G, rated by WSC. He fell under a tube train at the age of 89; and at 91, he fell out of a tree.

image.jpg

No idea yet, but I'll have a pint of whatever he's drinking please ?

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

No idea yet, but I'll have a pint of whatever he's drinking please ?

He was disliked by Beatty, rated by Carson.

Was his name Marmite by any chance?

Pete.

Was it Reginald Custance?

Sir William Greene

Yes: Sir W. Graham Greene (the uncle of the namesake author). As Permanent Secretary at the Admiralty since 1911, he "holds in his hands all the strings of the Admiralty, and [...] exercises more actual power than any of the Sea Lords, including probably the First Sea Lord himself." Hankey and Ll.G secured his resignation in 1917, when he became Permanent Secretary at Munitions. 

Quote from 'From the Dreadnought to Scapa Flow' (1966), by A J Marder.

A classic 19th and 20th century civil servant's career path through the levels driven by hard work, no family life and a degree of buggins turn. My first boss was just like him.

The author Graham Greene was his nephew and wrote about him in his autobiography. His falls in later years came about because he was blind but basically ignored the fact and continued much as he had always done. He pruned trees despite not knowing what he was pruning. Once he thought he was trimming a Virginia creeper but was instead destroying his sister's favourite fig tree.

Of course this may be all tosh as Greene's book is renowned for its inaccuracies (think Clive James' Unreliable Memoirs but without any laugh out loud stories)

David

Edited by David Ridgus

4 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

A classic 19th and 20th century civil servant's career path through the levels driven by hard work, no family life and a degree of buggins turn. 

Beatty: "One of those half dead men." 

"One of the ablest civil servants of his generation." - Sir Vincent Badderley (who he? - Ed.)

The fullness of History suggests that,in a tight spot, it would be better to have Greene at one's side than Beatty. I suspect Greene was well aware of Beatty's limitations-and Beatty knew that he knew. Beatty's  supposed energy and dynamism were only alright if there was someone else there to pick up the pieces (ie Jellicoe) or take the blame ("Flags")

I agree GUEST. I would see 'disliked by Beatty' as a badge of honour that put you in some pretty distinguished company

David

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Beatty: "One of those half dead men." 

"One of the ablest civil servants of his generation." - Sir Vincent Badderley (who he? - Ed.)

One of Greene's successors as Perm Sec Admiralty, and as dry, driven (and almost as long lived) as his predecessor

While Graham Greene is fresh in our memory: who is this?

And at risk of annoying Ron, here too is what perhaps I can call a prose poem of his:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Well, no prizes for me for sussing he's a "yank".

Don't recognise him or his writing though, which seems rather religiously inspired to me. I wonder if that in itself may be a bit of a clue?

7 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well, no prizes for me for sussing he's a "yank".

Don't recognise him or his writing though, which seems rather religiously inspired to me. I wonder if that in itself may be a bit of a clue?

American, yes. The uniform and spelling tell us this. I don't think religion is much of a clue, save that he wes born and brought up ('raised', perhaps I should say) in the Bible Belt.

18 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

American, yes. The uniform and spelling tell us this. I don't think religion is much of a clue, save that he wes born and brought up ('raised', perhaps I should say) in the Bible Belt.

Okay, thanks for sparing me my characteristic long trek down the wrong path.

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Okay, thanks for sparing me my characteristic long trek down the wrong path.

I've mentioned Graham Greene. Like Evelyn Waugh (or rather, unlike Evelyn Waugh) on a later occasion, he was a Marine.

14 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I've mentioned Graham Greene. Like Evelyn Waugh (or rather, unlike Evelyn Waugh) on a later occasion, he was a Marine.

William March?