The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

4 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Blimey that was a (unsuccessful) search!  But I learnt something new: paper money in its early years went by the delightful (for the etymologists among us) name of Notgeld.

That translates directly from German as "Emergency money."

And who is Feldwebel-Leutnant Robert Monteith? And in which army did he serve?

Ron

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Alfred Lichenstein. KIA September 1914.

Well spotted. Alfred Lichtenstein.

He foresaw his own death in a couple of poems written in August. 

'Leaving for the Front' is dated 7 August, and he predicted in the last line,

"In thirteen days I will probably be dead."

In fact he survived 7 weeks.

On 12 April 2017 at 18:23, Fattyowls said:

a cad and a bounder 

Talking of which:

[Pete I am mortified to think that I might have offended you by my post #6104. They say if a joke needs to be explained, it has failed. So I won't try. But, my sincere apologies.]

image.jpg

Charles a Court Repington?

Ron

25 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Charles a Court Repington?

Ron

Yes that's him Ron. " ... a famous bounder, a gossip, a fight-picker and feud-feeder."

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Yes that's him Ron. " ... a famous bounder, a gossip, a fight-picker and feud-feeder."

Normal career army officer of the time then?

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

[Pete I am mortified to think that I might have offended you by my post #6104. They say if a joke needs to be explained, it has failed. So I won't try. But, my sincere apologies.]

Mon oncle, absolutely no need to apologise; I got the joke and really enjoyed it. I just need to know who Colin thingy is. We are after all virtually good mates. Always work on the assumption I am not being serious about anything; I was serious once, it was a Tuesday in 1982 if I remember correctly. Lasted for about an hour, didn't take to it to be honest.

Pete.

P.S. Presumably this is Repington in is younger svelte days in 6161. I've seen him described as elephantine in print, might have been in Horne's 'Price of Glory' although I can't think why.

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

P.S. Presumably this is Repington in is younger svelte days in 6161. I've seen him described as elephantine in print, might have been in Horne's 'Price of Glory' although I can't think why.

A quick search of the extensive library shows your memory to be well up to snuff Pete.

Horne refers to him as elephantine whilst delivering a very back handed compliment about his astuteness as a military critic being somewhat surprising as his main talent was for purveying dinner table tittle tattle. The context was Repington being impressed by Castelnau saying, on the way to dinner at the Ritz, that the French race would die on the battlefield rather than succumb to slavery under the Germans.

David

21 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

the French race would die on the battlefield rather than succumb to slavery under the Germans.

David

Taking into account the fact that my civvy role is as toolmaker in a company that produces the new BMW mini, I can totally sympathise with this sentiment. 

Talking of which; one more night to go and then I am temporarily relieved for 4 days from my "incar"ceration.

Who's this ? ? ?

He was what my role model Terry-Thomas might have called, "An absolute stinker of the first order." 

image.jpg

42 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He is Alfred Redl. "Redl has been called one of history's greatest traitors, since his actions caused the slaughter of half a million of his countrymen."

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alfred_Redl

Shame about the lack of response with this interesting chap. I recognised him as someone I had posted a long time ago, but felt I had to sit on my hands as per the current protocol.

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Shame about the lack of response with this interesting chap. I recognised him as someone I had posted a long time ago, but felt I had to sit on my hands as per the current protocol.

But the film about him, with Klaus Maria Brandauer paints a different tale- that late Imperial A-H wasn't a very pleasant place to be.

Wasn't aware that there was a film about him. Wouldn't mind seeing that if it's available somewhere as the espionage aspect of both wars is of particular interest to me. 

My understanding is that he "batted for both sides" (not in the biblical sense).

EDIT:  Okay, in the biblical sense as well.

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

... as the espionage aspect of both wars is of particular interest to me. 

"Batted for both sides (in the biblical sense)" - what a glorious mangling of idioms! 

Anyway, I posted Hoare's memoir a little while ago, and post it again in case you missed it:

https://archive.org/stream/fourthseal031079mbp#page/n43/mode/2up

15 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

"Batted for both sides (in the biblical sense)" - what a glorious mangling of idioms! 

Anyway, I posted Hoare's memoir a little while ago, and post it again in case you missed it:

https://archive.org/stream/fourthseal031079mbp#page/n43/mode/2up

Many thanks for the link. The book looks like it is right up my street so I will order it later this afternoon. ?

"Thou shalt not take up bat for one side and yet bat concurrently therewith the other side; it is an abomination."

(Leviticus 18:23)

To be read (and lived) in conjunction with:

"Bowl not lest ye be bowled."

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

"Thou shalt not take up bat for one side and yet bat concurrently therewith the other side; it is an abomination."

Besides which, it's just plain greedy. 

Predictable that I should now post a spy.

Who is he???

20170420_130303.jpg.72e699d51260e5431d2efc5278e2cc64.jpg

Pathetic attempt on my part to throw you off the scent.

It is in fact a lady. 

Brother and father both succumbed to nocturnal stabbings. 

One of the first women of her country to acquire a university degree, she was known as a doctor, and was appointed chief of operations in Antwerp. 

Edited by neverforget

6 hours ago, neverforget said:

Wasn't aware that there was a film about him. Wouldn't mind seeing that if it's available somewhere as the espionage aspect of both wars is of particular interest to me. 

NF

the film is called Oberst Redl and is available to watch with subtitles on YouTube.

Brandauer is brilliant in it 

David