The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

20 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

NF

the film is called Oberst Redl and is available to watch with subtitles on YouTube.

Brandauer is brilliant in it 

David

Thanks for the nod, David. I'll watch that on Sunday night when I'm back at work, breakdowns permitting. One of the compensations of working 12 hour night shifts. ?

That said, the phrase "kiss of death" leaps to mind.

Just now, Uncle George said:

Elsbeth Schragmüller

Is the correct answer. Well played. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elsbeth_Schragmüller

He writes of his time at Chelsea Barracks, "where young officers began to 'pass off the square' more rapidly and to complete the courses that were considered necessary before they could be sent into battle. My lack of proficiency in drill had already put me behind some of my military contemporaries, and when these began to go to France and get killed I became impatient for my time to come."

Who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

Hm, is it a Grenfell?

(Alfred) Duff Cooper - 1st Viscount Norwich from his book Old Men Forget.

And this VAD is ...

IMG_20170420_230443.jpg

23 minutes ago, seaJane said:

And this VAD is ...

IMG_20170420_230443.jpg

Duff's other half - Lady Diana Cooper (nee Manners)

David

Can I request a slightly more generous clue in order to progress with #6187 please.

In the meantime; in contrast to our little run of espionage persona, who's role was to supply accurate information, we have this chap, who was head of a team responsible for something rather different. 20170421_081116.jpg.73c051baa5e952f82c286e683307db46.jpg

American ? Journalist? Propoganda? First name George

Edited by johnboy

On 21/04/2017 at 00:21, Stoppage Drill said:

Another writer:-

fred.png

Fought in WW1 as a major. Very Humble chap !

1 hour ago, johnboy said:

Fought in WW1 as a major. Very Humble chap !

Well done. No further clue required - amazing.

C.H. (Charles Humble) Dudley Ward, served with Welsh Guards and wrote their history in a similar style to Kipling's Irish Guards effort, also wrote a few Divisional histories.

I was stimulated to present him as a subject by Ridgus's comments on the lovely Diana Manners/Duff Cooper. She was a possible spouse for the Prince of Wales. 

'David', however, was smitten by the married Freda Dudley Ward, at least until he met 'that woman.'

Edited by Stoppage Drill
Subject brother in law to Freda.

40 minutes ago, johnboy said:

American ? Journalist? Propoganda? First name George

Nailed this one too.

George Creel. Head of the so called "Committee of Public Information".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Creel

• 2 weeks later...

A rare photograph here of a senior British politician. And, sitting left in the second photograph, a senior British politician. Who are they ? ? ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

UG, the chap sitting in the group photo looks like Fenner Brockway to me. Is the grainy photo Clem Atlee. More confident about the first than the second.

Pete.

I think I have previously posted the seated chap so for now I'll sit on my hands. If I'm right, Pete is mistaken and we are talking about one H.M. and double eight would be relevant?

No idea on the first picture though. 

Edited by neverforget

Ah yes, it was the hairstyle which threw me: when someone said he was his own worst enemy Ernie Bevin is supposed to have said "Not while I'm alive he ain't". Still none the wiser on the grainy chap. Thanks NF.

Pete.

P.S. Extraordinarily relieved with the result at St Andrews yesterday as I am sure you are NF.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

A rare photograph here of a senior British politician. And, sitting left in the second photograph, a senior British politician. Who are they ? ? ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

I new I had seen this photo before 

Here it is in colour 

colour.JPG.5f877be11020406b092b9d8f06067b8b.JPG

He is a one of the Conchies

25 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

UG, the chap sitting in the group photo looks like Fenner Brockway to me. Is the grainy photo Clem Atlee. More confident about the first than the second.

Pete.

Mr Attlee is an honourable and gallant gentleman, and a faithful colleague who served his country well at the time of her greatest need. But, that's not him. Not Fenner Brockway either.

NF and Ray

Yes, he's Herbert Morrison; conscientious objector during the GW, Foreign Sec. amongst other things thereafter.

https://letchworthinthegreatwar.wikispaces.com/CONSCIENTIOUS+OBJECTORS?responseToken=01b8e91988be1d2d9b3ded76fe155e067

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Ah yes, it was the hairstyle which threw me: when someone said he was his own worst enemy Ernie Bevin is supposed to have said "Not while I'm alive he ain't". Still none the wiser on the grainy chap. Thanks NF.

Pete.

P.S. Extraordinarily relieved with the result at St Andrews yesterday as I am sure you are NF.

Thanks Pete it certainly was a relief, especially after having missed a penalty and being somewhat harshly reduced to ten men. Predictably, the B6 Brigade did their level best to help send us down too, and I hear that their fans actually cheered Blackburn when they scored against them. Despite their worst efforts though I think the odds of survival are in our favour.?

33 minutes ago, neverforget said:

... and double eight would be relevant?

Double eight? (Forgive my ignorance.)

UG, it's not Harold Macmillan perchance? I've only ever seen one photo of him during wartime. Bevin's quote about Morrison is a favourite of mine, as is Ernie, but while searching I was struck by the similarities between Brockway and Morrison, and not just the rather bouffant hairstyles. Illuminating.

Pete.