The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

13 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

UG, it's not Harold Macmillan perchance? I've only ever seen one photo of him during wartime. Bevin's quote about Morrison is a favourite of mine, as is Ernie, but while searching I was struck by the similarities between Brockway and Morrison, and not just the rather bouffant hairstyles. Illuminating.

Pete.

No Pete. Macmillan, another future Foreign Sec., is something of a hero of mine. He burned an effigy of Neville Chamberlain on Guy Fawkes night, 1936. I remember him speaking from the Lords during the Miners' Strike: "... the best men in the world, who beat the Kaiser's army ..."

EDIT: it was Guy Fawkes night 1938.

Edited by Uncle George

18 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Double eight? (Forgive my ignorance.)

It's my ignorance that has to beg forgiveness Uncle George. I was mis-remembering him as one the Richmond 16. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richmond_Sixteen

25 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Double eight? (Forgive my ignorance.)

An amusing coincidence is that though he wasn't one of the Richmond 16, he was one of the 16,000 ww1 conchies.?

Is the grainy chap David Alexander Edward Lindsay, 27th Earl of Crawford and 10th Earl of Balcarres by any chance?

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

No Pete. Macmillan, another future Foreign Sec., is something of a hero of mine. He burned an effigy of Neville Chamberlain on Guy Fawkes night, 1936. I remember him speaking from the Lords during the Miners Strike: " ... the best men in the world, who beat the Kaiser's army ..."

I too have a soft spot for Supermac. I've always liked his quote when asked what kept him awake at night: "events dear boy, events".

42 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is the grainy chap David Alexander Edward Lindsay, 27th Earl of Crawford and 10th Earl of Balcarres by any chance?

No. Nor is he Eden, another Foreign Sec.

Not Grey, surely?

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Line of Duty. Who's this ? ? ?

image.jpg

Edith Smith?

Back to politics 

293811.jpg.f4b9a2de5ecc6921e5359992be3b805b.jpg

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

Margaret Damer Dawson

(Either that or a young Hermann Goering in drag)

15 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Edith Smith?

Margaret Damer Dawson it is, the founder of the Women's Police Volunteers in 1914.

"The initial impetus for the creation of the WPV was Damer Dawson‟s concern that British men at railway stations were attempting to recruit Belgian women as prostitutes. She also believed that the influx of young women into cities across Britain, enjoying freedoms and employment opportunities unheard of in peacetime, were at risk of succumbing to the vices of drunkenness, loose morals and criminal behaviour."

http://www.clarelangleyhawthorne.com/pdf/WPS_Background.pdf

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Back to politics 

293811.jpg.f4b9a2de5ecc6921e5359992be3b805b.jpg

He's Red Clydesider John MacLean.

8 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Margaret Damer Dawson it is, the founder of the Women's Police Volunteers in 1914.

"The initial impetus for the creation of the WPV was Damer Dawson‟s concern that British men at railway stations were attempting to recruit Belgian women as prostitutes. She also believed that the influx of young women into cities across Britain, enjoying freedoms and employment opportunities unheard of in peacetime, were at risk of succumbing to the vices of drunkenness, loose morals and criminal behaviour."

She has a look that would instantly return evildoers to the paths of righteousness. She reminds me of Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction except without the large gun; she wouldn't need one to strike down on thee with great vengeance and furious anger........

Pete.

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He's Red Clydesider John MacLean.

No fooling you Uncle.

http://www.undiscoveredscotland.co.uk/usbiography/mac/johnmaclean.html

I thought the Ruskie overtones might have made it not quite so easy. Back to the drawing board for me.?

5 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

She has a look that would instantly return evildoers to the paths of righteousness. She reminds me of Samuel L Jackson in Pulp Fiction except without the large gun; she wouldn't need one to strike down on thee with great vengeance and furious anger........

Pete.

One wonders if she actually became some poor soul's mother in law.

Edited by neverforget

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

These GW WPCs chill the blood ...

image.jpg

1 minute ago, neverforget said:

One wonders if she actually became some poor soul's mother in law.

What a quite terrifying thought Mr Plumb; I've never had a mother in law and that has put me off acquiring one in the future. I took one look at the photo and involuntarily pulled my socks up. An excellent if slightly disturbing post by UG.

Pete.

21 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

These GW WPCs chill the blood ...

image.jpg

Enough already.

7 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

What a quite terrifying thought Mr Plumb; I've never had a mother in law and that has put me off acquiring one in the future. I took one look at the photo and involuntarily pulled my socks.

Pete.

A time to count your blessings Mr. Owls. I've had two!

The first one was the absolute model for the late Bernard Mannering's repertoire.

To be fair though the second was as sweet as an angel, and eventually helped me to recover from the reccuring nightmares induced by her predecessor. ?

17 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Wot's all this then ? ? ?

image.jpg

Is it Frank Richardson?