The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

2 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Young Indiana Jones Chronicles.

But your bonus for 10-   which other famous real-life Fusilier officer appeared as a character in the series???    (Clue- a casualty and a Captain)

Was it Captain Dunn RWF. (Author of the war the infantry knew)?

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Was it Captain Dunn RWF. (Author of the war the infantry knew)?

Alas, No-  though Dunn and my man share also 2 other connections as well as Captain and Fusilier.  -  Both DSO and won in the same place, though not in the same war.

Lets make it even easier- not RWF either.Though to mystify you even more- this chap was a native Londoner, so,of course, served in the Royal Fusiliers.

22 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Alas, No-  though Dunn and my man share also 2 other connections as well as Captain and Fusilier.  -  Both DSO and won in the same place, though not in the same war.

Lets make it even easier- not RWF either.Though to mystify you even more- this chap was a native Londoner, so,of course, served in the Royal Fusiliers.

Selous?

EDIT: Author of 'Sunshine and Storm in Rhodesia'.

Edited by Uncle George

• Admin

Dear All

You may have seen this thread on Copyright in the About This Forum area. To ensure GWF does not inadvertently fall foul of copyright laws, we are starting to establish a Fair Dealing policy which will permit limited posting of images that are in copyright. To do this properly we will require sources to be included when posting a postcard, image or photo.

If it the image is a link to Flickr or similar hosting site you can refer to that fact. If the post card is in your own collection simply say “From my own collection”. If it is a photograph from a book, please include page number and book title. If the image comes from a commercial site like BNA, FMP or Ancestry or a museum/library please give the name, website and collection it was obtained from. We are not looking for lengthy citations but just a note along the lines of the BNA citation in this announcement.

Further information about Fair Dealing will be provided when we are in a position to tell everyone.

The GWF Team

34 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Selous?

EDIT: Author of 'Sunshine and Storm in Rhodesia'.

Exactly so. The great hunter and man of Empire (when both terms were not marred by notions of political correctness). A Londoner by birth and served,by chance, with 25Bn.RF, and KIA in German East Africa, 4th January 1917.

Also, Yes- his account of the Matabele Rebellion of 1895-1896 is indeed "Sunshine and Storm in Rhodesia" - a thumping good read and available at moderate cost in the Rhodesiana Reprint Library- as is also his "Wanderings of a Hunter". There are 2 other splendid  and very readable works on the Matabele Rebellion in the same series-Alderson: With the Mounted Infantry and the Mashonaland Field Force and Sykes: With Plumer in Matabeleland.  Just to remind  all on GWF that our Generals of 1914-1918 almost all made their names in the imperial wars of the late Nineteenth Century. Alderson commanded the Canadians in the Great War- Plumer-well, good to know that he was not just a funny little man with a large white moustache

Played by Paul Freeman in Indiana Jones- the unlikely tale of the young Indy meeting both Teddy Rooslvelt and Selous as a ten year old in Africa

Image result for frederick selous

(The out of copyright portrait of Selous comes from a printed work that I own- This image here  is taken from that on the jlsafaris website, with acknowledgements and thanks-It comes from the same source The same out of copyright image is also available from Alamy ,who will "permit" reproduction on a website for a licence fee of £35.99. Thanks but No Thanks)

Edited by Guest

Well played everyone.  You certainly got your money's worth out of that one Pete. Great post!

I don't think we've had this 1917 casualty yet. KIA.

Son of a very well known WW1 figure.

cas.jpg.bae2502ec317682772a5edca75c4a872.jpg

The image is from the book "Allenby - A study in greatness." By General Sir Archibald Wavell.

Edited by neverforget
Edited to provide source for image.

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Well played everyone.  You certainly got your money's worth out of that one Pete. Great post!

And a much needed steer on the importance of context in grammar from Ron and a humourous ornithological interjection from UG; what's not to like. As I have said before this thread is the proper education wot I never got.

Edited by Fattyowls
terrible typo

12 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Please see the comment above re copyright

13 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Arthur Asquith? He lost a leg in 1917,

1 minute ago, AlanCurragh said:

Please see the comment above re copyright

May I wait until he has been identified please? If I state beforehand where the picture is from it will reveal his identity. I fear that this may be the case with most of the pictures we post too.

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Arthur Asquith? He lost a leg in 1917,

Not Asquith. This chap was known to sympathise with conchies, though he himself was not of that persuasion. 

Winner of the M.C. He had been recommended for promotion to the rank of Captain prior to meeting his death in Belgium. 

Lieutenant Horace Michael Hynman Allenby,MC,  RHA, KIA France, 29th July 1917

(I suspect your acknowledgement for copyright might be to a biography of FM Lord Allenby)

13 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Lieutenant Horace Michael Hynman Allenby,MC,  RHA, KIA France, 29th July 1917

(I suspect your acknowledgement for copyright might be to a biography of FM Lord Allenby)

Quite correct Mr. V.

The image is from the book "Allenby - A study in greatness." By General Sir Archibald Wavell.

His son served in the Royal Horse Artillery, and was killed on 29th July 1917. 

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

Quite correct Mr. V.

His son served in the Royal Horse Artillery, and was killed on 29th July 1917. 

A.P.Wavell's biography of Allenby was published in 1943 by Cassell and Co. and still technically in copyright- APW died less than 70 years ago. The image is from the Allenby family- FM Earl Allenby died 1936.

So, Acknowlegements to the Estate of Earl Wavell and the successors to Cassell and Co., Publishers (which was later Mansell Publishing).

Not a difficult one. Nicknamed The Terror. Achieved some notoriety in England for assaulting a well-known medical man of the day

(Copyright acknowledgement to follow)

Image result for tibby cotter

Tibby Cotter. One of the "Big Six".

Aussie fast bowler who walloped W.G. Grace (the doctor) with one of his famous chucks. 

6 hours ago, neverforget said:

Tibby Cotter. One of the "Big Six".

Aussie fast bowler who walloped W.G. Grace (the doctor) with one of his famous chucks. 

Spot on- And as this is GWF, then let us remember him also as a casualty of the Great War-killed in action at Beersheba,1917 during the Gaza Battles. Killed while dismounted from Light Horse in a firefight with the Turks. Any man who had the temerity to bowl a full toss at William Gilbert G., the great cricketer, was hardly likely to be scared of the King's Enemies.

As if Aussie bowlers have ever done such a thing since.

Photo-  Courtesy of The Australian and Trove,National Library of Australia

5 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Courtesy ?

Australia ?

9 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Courtesy ?

Australia ?

Social policy, dear boy- How are we to re-integrate the Convicts into civil society without showing them better manners to follow?

6 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Spot on- And as this is GWF, then let us remember him also as a casualty of the Great War-killed in action at Beersheba,1917 during the Gaza Battles. Killed while dismounted from Light Horse in a firefight with the Turks. Any man who had the temerity to bowl a full toss at William Gilbert G., the great cricketer, was hardly likely to be scared of the King's Enemies.

As if Aussie bowlers have ever done such a thing since.

I have him in my file of WW1 cricketers, and have a couple of conflicting accounts of how he met his death:

On 31 October 1917 the 4th Light Horse Brigade, of which the 12th Regiment was part, captured Beersheba by a brilliant cavalry-style charge. Cotter was there as a stretcher-bearer. At the end of the charge, as troops dismounted to engage the enemy, a Turk shot Cotter dead at close range.

And a rather more fanciful account I feel: 

He joined the Australian Light Horse, and in 1917 at Beersheba he peeped over the rim of a trench to verify what he had seen in his periscope and was shot dead by a sniper. Shortly before his death he is said to have tossed up a ball of mud and said to a colleague: "That's my last bowl ... something's going to happen." 

A picture of his body (marked with an X) "courtesy" of the A.W.M. 

https://www.awm.gov.au/exhibitions/fiftyaustralians/12.asp

P02279_003.JPG.beafde7d7a9e9e4d54018904dea05cdb.JPG

Edited by neverforget

Most interesting- That Cotter and the man next to him have their heads covered is perhaps evidence that one of the nastiest aspects of the war was not gas, or machine guns-but snipers. A subject on which British records are rather quiet

15 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Most interesting- That Cotter and the man next to him have their heads covered is perhaps evidence that one of the nastiest aspects of the war was not gas, or machine guns-but snipers. A subject on which British records are rather quiet

I'm sure a bibliophile like you is familiar with this:

https://archive.org/stream/snipinginfrancew00pricrich#page/n9/mode/2up

Another who rubbed the doctor up the wrong way:

ssw.jpg.413c5759857de9ea035159730851cdac.jpg

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Another who rubbed the doctor up the wrong way:

ssw.jpg.413c5759857de9ea035159730851cdac.jpg

Is he William Ward Odell? KIA 1917.

Edited by Uncle George
spelling