The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Further to GUEST's musings in post #6348, I thought I'd post a photo of this chap, who is said to have received an Iron Cross in 1915.

Who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

Looks interesting. I'll do my best to carry on playing but I've just received a temporary ban from the forum. 

Nothing official or anything, but it's my much better 'arf's 60th today, and we're away in a couple of hours on holiday for a week in Wales with the kids and grandkids. 

50 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Looks interesting. I'll do my best to carry on playing but I've just received a temporary ban from the forum. 

Nothing official or anything, but it's my much better 'arf's 60th today, and we're away in a couple of hours on holiday for a week in Wales with the kids and grandkids. 

Wish Mrs P many happy returns NF. It's mine on Monday and I'm trying to ignore all those people telling me about bus passes.......

Pete.

4 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Wish Mrs P many happy returns NF. It's mine on Monday and I'm trying to ignore all those people telling me about bus passes.......

Pete.

Cheers Pete. She returns your good wishes for Monday, as do I. 

You're right to ignore the jibes about bus passes as they don't kick in till we're 66. I'm afraid the only benefit upon reaching 60 is free prescriptions, which in my case is saving me a fortune.

Have a good un mate!

On 19/05/2017 at 14:49, Uncle George said:

Further to GUEST's musings in post #6348, I thought I'd post a photo of this chap, who is said to have received an Iron Cross in 1915.

Who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

Chari Maigumeri MM.

Gold Coast Regiment.

This photo taken when in UK for Coronation ?

11 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Chari Maigumeri MM.

Gold Coast Regiment.

This photo taken when in UK for Coronation ?

Chari Maigumeri it is. Discussion about him and image here:

http://gmic.co.uk/topic/34033-the-ek-1914-group-i-want-to-see/

from which I understand that he served with the Nigeria Regiment.

It also seems that he was not awarded the Iron Cross, though this story has been repeated and appears on his Wikipedia article:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chari_Maigumeri

Apparently, "Maigumeri was awarded the Kriegsverdienstmedaille for African soldiers, not the Iron Cross. As far as I know the EK was not awarded to African troops."

I'm not sure when the photo was taken.

I stand corrected. The NR and GCR had common ancestry in the WAFF.

Photo was taken at Woolwich.

Edited by Stoppage Drill
1953 -Coronation.

Seely's name is on a plaque of the Andover War Memorial Hospital.  

6 hours ago, neverforget said:

The very same U.G. Well played. 

Leo seems to have been something of a Walter Mitty type character who claimed to be ju-jitsu world champion, inter alia.

He did nevertheless instruct unarmed combat in the army and reached the rank of Captain in the Middlesex Regiment. 

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/frontiersmenhistorian.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/the-fighting-macks-an-extraordinary-family-of-brothers/amp/#ampshare=https://frontiersmenhistorian.wordpress.com/2015/08/11/the-fighting-macks-an-extraordinary-family-of-brothers/

The picture was part of the Los Angeles Daily News collection. http://lit250v.library.ucla.edu/islandora/object/edu.ucla.library.specialCollections.losAngelesDailyNews%3A2925

Not that great son of Hibernia-Victor Andrew de Bier Everleigh McLaglen?   Born in less than Irish-Stepney, here in the east of London.

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

Now who is this chap -  a casualty of the Great War, heart failure worsened by previous bouts of malaria. A splendid "soldier of the Queen" with some evocative "little war" campaigns on his CV.  Raised a service battalion in 1914 (which contained one of my local casualties as it's most junior officer). He spent years pursuing something that would now be highly topical-  the gun might be a reasonable clue that what he pursued was shootable.

Image result for malcolm mcneill somali  

Edited by Guest
grammar error

Now who is this chap -  a casualty of the Great War, heart failure worsened by previous bouts of malaria. A splendid "soldier of the Queen" with some evocative "little war" campaigns on his CV.  Raised a service battalion in 1914 (which contained one of my local casualties as it's most junior officer). He spent years pursuing something that would now be highly topical-  the gun might be a reasonable clue that what he pursued was shootable.

Image result for malcolm mcneill somali  

The 25th (Frontiersmen) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers was raised by Daniel Patrick Driscoll. Is this him?

56 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

The 25th (Frontiersmen) Battalion, Royal Fusiliers was raised by Daniel Patrick Driscoll. Is this him?

Alas, No- Though you did me good service as I have not known of Driscoll.-whom I can now look up.   

My man  died 1917 in France as a Lt-Col.  He had retired from the army a decade or so earlier as a regular officer-Sandhurst,etc. Immediately war was declared, he returned to England and raised a service battalion of his old regiment-which was one of the Highland regiments.

He wrote one main book, which is an excellent account of the "little war" he had been involved in, as well as his other activity-which was,as you might surmise, shooting large mammals(and not just the King's Enemies)  The book is a very good read indeed-comparable to Churchill's Malakand Field Force,though without the Churchillian literary flourishes- A solid account,well-written with a good "ripping yarn" to tell. The original is rare but it been frequently reprinted in recent years because of its topical subject. When you have the man, the  title of the book (which is a splendidly evocative title from the days of Empire) will explain all.

Would his book be by any chance "In pursuit of the Mad Mullah"?

John

John-  Yes!

He is Lt Col. Malcolm McNeill, pictured while a Captain in the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders. The portrait is the frontispiece of a splendidly imperial book- "In Pursuit of the Mad Mullah- Service and Sport in the Somali Protectorate"   Mc Neill was a career officer of the Argylls, commissioned after Sandhurst in 1885. He came from a strongly Highland military family.. He spent chunks of the 1890s and 1900s on the Indian frontier- including the Tochi Expedition, which, to borrow a Churchill phrase was "an episode of frontier warfare". He was a notable big game hunter and had a museum of his trophies next to the family home in Oban.

McNeill saw extended service in Somaliland (with the DSO)   doing exactly what the title of his book suggests- pursuing "The Mad Mullah", a Somali Islamic extremist who would nowadays be called a Jihadist- and who gave the British the run- around for more than a decade. McNeill's book is heartily recommended as a thoroughly good read- Like many another book of the "little wars" (and of the Great War) it was written with a lively but elegant prose style (Your Humble believes these campaign accounts have a greater literary quality than most,if not all, modern fiction).

Mc Neill  left the army in 1906 but returned to England immediately the war began in 1914 and raised the 11th (Service) Bn.Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders with the rank of Lt Col.  (His youngest officer was 2Lt Colin Frost, from Wanstead,east London, kia at Loos in October 1915) Mc Neill died suddenly of heart failure on 6th June 1917, his system weakened by malaria-he had only just returned to his battalion after a month's sick leave.

Al in all, another one of the seemingly endless supply of doughty and proficient colonels that the British Army excelled in producing in Empire days and throughout the Great War.

Edited by Guest

Ok, this is another genuine (non-quiz) enquiry. On the back of this photograph (usual work source) is written "Captain Loxley RMLI." Did Noel Loxley have an earlier RM career? Have I missed a brother? I am sorry to trouble you, dear crew, but I need an answer by the end of Monday and haven't time to do the research myself....

IMG_20170521_010453.jpg

7 hours ago, seaJane said:

Ok, this is another genuine (non-quiz) enquiry. On the back of this photograph (usual work source) is written "Captain Loxley RMLI." Did Noel Loxley have an earlier RM career? Have I missed a brother? I am sorry to trouble you, dear crew, but I need an answer by the end of Monday and haven't time to do the research myself....

sJ,

There's a Capt Vere Duncombe LOXLEY, RMLI in the 1915 Hart's Annual Army List.

15 years' service.

2/Lt - 01 Sep 1900

1/Lt - 01 Jul 1901

Capt. - 01 Sep 1911

Also, & less relevant, a Lt. C.E.S. LOXLEY, Essex Regt, MiD LG 14 Jun 1918.

Is your "Noel Loxley", Capt Arthur Noel LOXLEY, RN, of HMS Formidable?  I haven't found a Noel Loxley in the Marines yet!

If so, then Capt. Vere Duncombe Loxley, RMLI, was his younger brother.

Family details ...

Reverend Arthur Smart Loxley
b. 13 May 1846, d. 2 April 1888
Reverend Arthur Smart Loxley was born on 13 May 1846. He was the son of John Loxley and Emily Augusta Heath. He married Alice Mary Duncombe in 1873. He died on 2 April 1888 at age 41.  He was educated at Radley College, Abingdon, Oxfordshire. He graduated from Exeter College, Oxford University, Oxford, with a Master of Arts (M.A.). He was the Vicar at Fairford, Gloucestershire.

Children of Reverend Arthur Smart Loxley and Alice Mary Duncombe
    Captain Arthur Noel Loxley, RN, b. 1874 [from FreeBMD: b. Q4 1874, Northants.], d. 1 Jan 1915
    Vere Duncombe Loxley, [from FreeBMD: b. Q4 1881], d. 13 Nov 1916
    Gladys Marjoroie (sic) Loxley, b. 28 Nov 1882, d. 31 May 1956
    Major Gerald Herbert Loxley, b. 31 Jan 1885, d. 29 Sep 1950
    Reginald Victor Byron Loxley, [from FreeBMD: b. Q2 1887], d. 18 Oct 1918

[Source (except where marked): www.thepeerage.com]

Vere Duncombe LOXLEY was Killed in Action on 13 Nov 1916 at Beaumont Hamel as an Acting Major, 1st Bn., RMLI.  He had also served at Gallipoli.  Mentioned in Despatches.  According to thepeerage website, he was at Eton, but the Radley archives seem to be a more reliable source and have him at Radley, then Sandhurst.  The Radley Archive also has the same photo you've posted.

According to thepeerage website, Noel Loxley was at Eton.

Radley Archives entry for Vere Duncombe LOXLEY here

Reginald Victor Byron LOXLEY, according to thepeerage website, died in Paris on 18 Oct 1918 from wounds received in action while Acting Captain in the RAF.  However other probably more reliable sources say he died of pneumonia following influenza.  Formerly in the RNAS, he also served in Gallipoli.  He had been wounded in action in France and joined the Department of Aircraft Production liaising with the French in the supply of aero engines.  He was at Radley. 

Radley Archives entry for Reginald Victor Byron LOXLEY here

A GWF topic on him here

Gerald Herbert LOXLEY served in the Great War reaching the rank of Major in the RAF.  Air Force Cross in 1919, Croix de Guerre (with Palms), Chevalier of the Legion d'Honneur.  He was at Malvern College, then Oriel.

All four sons appear to have RN or RNAS connections.

Some info on the family here:

http://www.fairfordhistory.org.uk/news/wwi/the-loxley-family-and-their-connection-with-fairford/

I'll leave it to other Pals to chase through the relevant CWGC entries, but I will look up the Eton RoH for Noel and Vere and the OU RoH for Gerald (& possibly others).  Also Vere's MiD.

A request for look-ups on the Malvern Roll of Honour on Dick Florey's topic may bear further fruit.

HTH

Mark

Edited by MBrockway

3 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Vere Duncombe LOXLEY <snip> According to thepeerage website, he was at Eton, but the Radley archives seem to be a more reliable source and have him at Radley, then Sandhurst.

According to thepeerage website, Noel Loxley was at Eton.

I will look up the Eton RoH for Noel and Vere and the OU RoH for Gerald (& possibly others).  Also Vere's MiD.

Neither Arthur Noel Loxley nor Vere Duncombe Loxley appear in the List of Etonians Who Fought in the Great War,

It seems Noel entered the navy direct via HMS Britannia.  I've not found any other school for him as yet.

Edited by MBrockway

Oxford University Roll of Service ...

Oriel College

LOXLEY, G. H., BA

Matriculated 1905

Enlisted Feb 1915.

Lt. RNVR, Maj. RAF.  Dept. Aircraft Production, Paris.

Croix de Chevalier de la Legion d'Honneur.  Officer of the Crown of Italy.

No other Loxleys mentioned.

Jane- Mark B. has listed the suspects. National Archives "Discovery" narrows to a straight choice out of 2, both with RNAS connections (Hence "army" style ranks). The service files for both of them have been digitised and can be accessed online from the luxury of chez toi.

GERALD HERBERT LOXLEY       ADM  273/14/30

REGINALD VICTOR BYRON LOXLEY    ADM  273/5/363

Good luck

Brilliant, Mark, thanks! Yes, the same Noel (who you will find as a quiz WIT a little farther back in the thread).

I'm very grateful for such a fast and comprehensive set of replies and must apologise again to the rest of the crew for cluttering up their fun.

sJ :wub:

No problem!  Still searching for Vere Loxley's MID, which appears to be probably pre-War.  Would have helped if I'd remembered to look for RM in the Navy Lists rather than the Army Lists :P

Shame on you! ;)

36 minutes ago, MBrockway said:

No problem!  Still searching for Vere Loxley's MID, which appears to be probably pre-War.  Would have helped if I'd remembered to look for RM in the Navy Lists rather than the Army Lists :P

I've drawn a blank on finding an MiD for Vere Loxley, RMLI in either the London Gazette or the Navy Lists.

I wonder if the MiD referenced on the Radley College archives is perhaps a confusion for that of Lt. C.E.S. LOXLEY, MGC, formerly Essex Regt, MiD LG 14 Jun 1918?

https://www.thegazette.co.uk/London/issue/30746/supplement/7054/data.htm

Mark

PS; I have confirmed, I think, what I suspected was the connection between the Loxley family and the archive. TOPAZE was one of the ships to rescue FORMIDABLE's crew, and T's surgeon was Arthur Henry Sims Richardson, many of whose personal papers are in the archive.

1 hour ago, seaJane said:

Brilliant, Mark, thanks! Yes, the same Noel (who you will find as a quiz WIT a little farther back in the thread).

I'm very grateful for such a fast and comprehensive set of replies and must apologise again to the rest of the crew for cluttering up their fun.

sJ :wub:

Not a problem for me SJ, it was very interesting. I'm sure the rest of the usual suspects are chilled about it too.

Pete.