The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

sJ - if it does become an issue and you decide to start anew with a dedicated Loxley topic, I can easily move my material to follow you.  The work of mere moments :thumbsup:

I've already updated the cold GWF topic on his brother Reginald.

Mark

Ta ;)

On 19 May 2017 at 15:48, Fattyowls said:

Wish Mrs P many happy returns NF. It's mine on Monday and I'm trying to ignore all those people telling me about bus passes.......

Pete.

Happy birthday for tomorrow Pete. Remember, "Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough." - Groucho Marx.

Here's a closely argued and intellectually robust Marxist analysis of 'Duck Soup' as a social commentary on American society and sentiment during and directly after the Great War:

https://sarahmccart.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/reactions-duck-soup-reveals-social-commentary-on-wwi/

Who knew?

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Happy birthday for tomorrow Pete. Remember, "Getting older is no problem. You just have to live long enough." - Groucho Marx.

Here's a closely argued and intellectually robust Marxist analysis of 'Duck Soup' as a social commentary on American society and sentiment during and directly after the Great War:

https://sarahmccart.wordpress.com/2012/02/01/reactions-duck-soup-reveals-social-commentary-on-wwi/

Who knew?

Merci bien mon oncle. Je suis un Marxiste, tendence Groucho.

It is a good read, but then as the great man once said outside of a dog a book is a man's best friend; inside of a dog it's too dark to read. I will think of all my friends as I spend the whole of my birthday seeing if I can eat my own bodyweight in ice cream.

Pete.

Image result

Now this chap should be easy- author of one of the classic books on the Great War.  A doctor (but not J.C.Dunn).  Just think on lingerie  and the answer should be clear!!!

... one of the classic books on the Great War. Just think on lingerie and the answer should be clear!!!

'All Quiet on the Western Y-Fronts.'

Sorry - best I could do.

38 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

'All Quiet on the Western Y-Fronts.'

Sorry - best I could do.

26 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Edmund Blunden's 'Underwear of War'.

Oh,God!  What horrors have I unleashed?   Our man worked as a doctor in Brixham, Devonshire before the war (and Conan Doyle once also worked as a doctor in Devonshire). He was invalided out at the end of the war but had to give up medicine.  Certain parts of his classic account were left out and later incorporated in a novel published by him in 1930.

Francis Brett Young? Served RAMC East Africa. 1930 novel Jim Redlake, but the classic is Marching on Tanga.

On 22/05/2017 at 22:02, johntanner said:

Francis Brett Young? Served RAMC East Africa. 1930 novel Jim Redlake, but the classic is Marching on Tanga.

Spot on JT!!  The cauliflowe from Peter Glase  and the Crackerjack pencil go home with you. Like the previous chap I posted-Malcolm McNeill, a reminder that the Great War in Africa or thereabouts was no sideshow-it was a much bigger affair  than the Boer War per se.  And a whole crop of "ripping yarn" chronicles by those who (Up to then) had no claims to call themselves "writers"

As to the modern use of the word "tanga" -well, let's leave it at that.

On 21/05/2017 at 11:10, MBrockway said:

No problem!  Still searching for Vere Loxley's MID, which appears to be probably pre-War.  Would have helped if I'd remembered to look for RM in the Navy Lists rather than the Army Lists :P

On 21/05/2017 at 11:47, seaJane said:

Shame on you! ;)

I was wrong-footed by the RMLI appearing in Harts Annual ARMY List :lol:

Now, having mentioned that the British Army had an almost inexhaustible supply of good colonels -men of sense and good spirit, here is another "Empire" man who rendered good service in the Great War and after.  To mislead you, he started the war as a cavalry officer in Ireland and was wounded at Gallipoli. But his exploits before the war and after it mean that he could have stepped straight from the pages of John Buchan.............   though the adventures of Richard Hannay pale with comparison with this man.

At one time, a volunteer in the Soviet Secret Police- and I don't think that can be said about many British officers of the Great War 

Image result for Frederick Marshman Bailey

Can't win ...

[reply to MBrockway]

Edited by seaJane

I came across this chap when UG was on his "spy" theme earlier in the year, can't remember who he is, give me time and I will find him again.

John

On 23/05/2017 at 09:07, Knotty said:

I came across this chap when UG was on his "spy" theme earlier in the year, can't remember who he is, give me time and I will find him again.

John

C.O.'s Orders. Extra Time granted

Step lively!!

Got him, he is Lt-Col Frederick Marshman Bailey, allegedly the only living man named on the Roll of Honour at the Menin Gate.Where do you start with summing up such a character? Give this obituary a read :thumbsup:http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/store/10.1111/j.1474-919X.1967.tb00030.x/asset/j.1474-919X.1967.tb00030.x.pdf?v=1&t=j31kitcx&s=ea0de9a324c93b94cd5c02674a7cfa12c1923d88

John

Well spotted. Yes- an incredible career.  May I recommend the series of books on "The Great Game" by one of my former customers, the late Peter Hopkirk. Peter was erudite, a man of action (Ex-Times correspondent) and had the journalists' eye (Well, typing fingers) for finding a good story and telling it even better   The volume that deals with the war and it's aftermath- Setting the East Ablaze is a marvel.

Colonel Bailey was one of Peter;'s heroes of The Great Game-Yet hardly known today. It was also Peter who identified Reginald Teague-Jones when he died aged 99 as a man who had hidden from Red Bolshevik wrath for 70 years.   A real ripping yarn. Sort of makes you  realise that "headlines" about Simon Cowell changing his shoes or stubbing his toe really are drivel.  Bailey achieved much and said little, although his "Tashkent" book, although modern, is quite scarce and sought after.

And this chap?  An unfortunate "first" in the Great War. Now-tongue firmly in cheek- this man had a profound connection with the City of Edinburgh. Alas.

Capt Hughes-Onslow

Major Arthur Hughes-Onslow 10th Hussars.

From Rutland Remembers 

Major Arthur Hughes-Onslow loved horses. He was a cavalryman with distinguished service in India, the Sudan and the Boer War. He had seen horses suffer and knew how cruel war could be to them. He had seen them mutilated and killed in battle, starved and ridden to death in South Africa and had been shipwrecked with 300 mounts of which only 20 survived. Horses were his life and when he retired he came to live in Braunston so he could spend his days hunting with the Cottesmore and taking part in point-to-points. But tragic circumstances led him to become Rutland's first casualty. When the First World War began Arthur did not hesitate and although way past the age when he could be called up again, he volunteered to rejoin the army. His great experience of horses led to an instant appointment as a remount officer, responsible for choosing and looking after horses. But he could not forget what he had seen. On 17 August 1914, during the crossing to Le Havre to take up his command and less than two weeks after war had been declared, he shot himself on board SS City of Edinburgh. He just could not bear to take horses back into battle. His great great-grandson John Fergusson has researched his full story which was published by the Western Front Association here. In Rutland and the Great War, George Phillips concentrates on Arthur's sporting prowess in an effusive biography. It is unlikely he knew how the Major had really met his end. In fact, his family was not told exactly what had happened and only discovered the true circumstances later. According to Phillips, Arthur Hughes-Onslow was born on 24 August 1862, at Alton Albury, Girvan, Ayrshire. Educated at Eton and Sandhurst, he was originally gazetted to the 5th Lancers as a Lieutenant on 10 May 1882. He went on to spend 20 years and 249 days in the Army. Phillips wrote: "Major Hughes-Onslow was a skilful exponent of every kind of sport appealing to the cavalry soldier; racing, cricket, polo, hunting. He quickly showed his ability as a steeplechase rider, for on his first appearance in the saddle at the Melton meeting in 1882 he won a couple of steeplechases in one afternoon. It was, however, in the Grand Military Gold Cup that he scored his principal successes, having set up a record for the event by winning it three times in four attempts - a feat which has yet to be equalled or beaten; while he was also on the back of the winner of the Irish Grand Military on three occasions. The Maiden Military Steeplechase fell to the gallant soldier's prowess on five occasions, while on his favourite battle-ground, Melton, the Ladies' Plate was accounted for three times within four years, and the Leicestershire Steeplechase twice. During his residence in Braunston he was one of the most ardent followers of the Cottesmore Hounds and neighbouring packs. He was also very fond of cricket, and, as a member of the MCC, frequently figured in the teams against the local clubs, and also played for Oakham, Egerton Park (Melton), and Burghley Park (Stamford)." Arthur married in 1891, Annie Kathleen Whitehead, of Deighton Grove, York. The couple had two children, Geoffrey, who became a Lieutenant in the Royal Navy, winning the DSC, and Dorothy who married another cavalry officer, Lieutenant Douglas Lithgow, of the Royal Dragoons. Arthur was buried at Sanvic Communal Cemetery but in 1938 his grave was moved to Ste. Marie Cemetery, Le Havre, grave Div.64.VI.B.1. He is remembered on Braunston's war memorial. To complete the sad tale, his brother Denzil, also a major in his fifties, died in the fighting on the Somme.

Edited by johntanner

Found him, he is another "first":-

Lt George Masterman Thompson, 1st Bn Royal Scots (attached to Gold Coast Regiment, West African Field Force), the first British Army officer to die in a land action during the Great War. He was leading a small force of French Senegalese troops in an action against German forces at Chra, German Togoland, when he was killed in action, aged 24, on 22 August 1914.

A Special French Army Order was published on 20 October commending his gallantry and he was posthumously awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palms. Lieutenant Thompson is buried at Wahala Cemetery near Atakpame, and is the only CWGC in Togo from both World Wars.

John

1 hour ago, Knotty said:

Found him, he is another "first":-

Lt George Masterman Thompson, 1st Bn Royal Scots (attached to Gold Coast Regiment, West African Field Force), the first British Army officer to die in a land action during the Great War. He was leading a small force of French Senegalese troops in an action against German forces at Chra, German Togoland, when he was killed in action, aged 24, on 22 August 1914.

A Special French Army Order was published on 20 October commending his gallantry and he was posthumously awarded the Croix de Guerre with Palms. Lieutenant Thompson is buried at Wahala Cemetery near Atakpame, and is the only CWGC in Togo from both World Wars.

John

As another Thompson myself-no relation- I think the bad luck gene must be there. No lottery tickets for me this week!!

2 hours ago, Knotty said:

Found him

Not difficult: if you click on the picture, his name comes up immediately!

Hughes-Onslow was even easier: just hover the mouse over the picture.

I have someone in mind, but there is no picture available on the Internet. Do you want one with just biographical facts?

Ron

11 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Not difficult: if you click on the picture, his name comes up immediately!

Sorry Ron, that is not happening for me, Mine just shows a long string of code.