The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Knotty

Are you using a tablet, or a mobile phone? That might make a difference. I have a desktop running Windows-XP and Google Chrome.

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Not difficult: if you click on the picture, his name comes up immediately!

Hughes-Onslow was even easier: just hover the mouse over the picture.

I have someone in mind, but there is no picture available on the Internet. Do you want one with just biographical facts?

Ron

Yes,please Sir!! End of term treat

Hi Ron

iMac & iPad with Safari gives me code sequence if I hover, I dug out and charged up my old Windows 7 laptop using Google, and that gives me his name. I have now gone back to my iMac, double clicked the code and that takes me off to the IWM Collection photo hosted on Flickr.com.

Your biographic fact idea is probably the way forward on this particular thread.

John

Now this fellow looks strikingly similar to a young Donald Trump-even down to the cadet uniform. An Olympian, amongst other things. His public persona was,indeed, similar to the current Pres. Are they related?

Image result for george patton

11 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

Now this fellow looks strikingly similar to a young Donald Trump-even down to the cadet uniform. An Olympian, amongst other things. His public persona was,indeed, similar to the current Pres. Are they related?

Image result for george patton

George.S.Patton jr

Spot on K!!   A pretty easy one-Not to stretch the grey cells but rather to put up the similarity to you-know-who. -boy,oh boy, isn't the similarity there?  

46 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Or this comparison - very spooky

IMG_0251.JPG

It is most curious!!   And some similarities of temperament as well.  

It was said of Montgomery that he wasn't a very nice man-but nice men don't win wars. How odd that those aspects of character ascribed to Georgie P. that made his military reputation secure are the same that might not do so for Donald. 

There are many men who are excellent war leaders but who are (or would have been) less popular in peacetime. One shudders to think what kind of post-war soldier Orde Wingate would have been, and even Churchill was rejected by the electorate in 1945.

There is an interesting snippet in Haig's diary when he first met Pershing and his staff. He makes brief comments on them all, but "the ADC is a real firebrand, and longs for the fray" is a pretty good instant summary of the then Captain George S Patton.

Ron

3 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

...  It was said of Montgomery that he wasn't a very nice man ...

I read somewhere that his last words were, "Why was mother so beastly to me?" He was I think a very sad and lonely man.

4 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

It is most curious!!   And some similarities of temperament as well.  

It was said of Montgomery that he wasn't a very nice man-but nice men don't win wars. How odd that those aspects of character ascribed to Georgie P. that made his military reputation secure are the same that might not do so for Donald. 

The difference between them is that Patton was a martinet, but to himself as well, and a professional to the ends of his finger nails.

Patton drove his men, but drove himself as well.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I read somewhere that his last words were, "Why was mother so beastly to me?" He was I think a very sad and lonely man.

I would dispute that a little. I think the excellent works of Nigel Hamilton are correct- and particularly the interviews with some of his old Staff men in "Monty in Love and War", which is on You Tube.  But have a listen to Monty on "Desert Island Dicks" which is available on BBC Radio i player archive. He comes across as a very much more human character than the wartime egomaniac. A reflective, softened, quite considerate man- it's worth a listen.  He comes over as what he was- a Victorian with religious belief knowing that he is coming to the end of the road

I am no fan of Monty-but cometh the hour, cometh the man. Michael Howard's obituary of him in "The Times" has the most salient fact in it- he never faced the main armies of his principal opponent. I think he was lonely in old age but 2 aspects of his character and experience seem to me at least to be underrated- the first is his own personal religious belief, which seems neglected- all the stuff about his overbearing mother and his father's career- Monty was Victorian "Church Militant" whose life and career saw that Victorian outlook challenged in ways the Victorians never dreamed of- particularly the great losses of men. It is said that he was greatly affected by his visit to the CWGC cemetery at Alamein and knew he bore a personal moral responsibility for the casualties which affected him greatly- I think seeing the graves of 2 brothers there almost broke him.

The second reason he was lonely is that he was a widower- Monty in old age was no different to many another widower, both then and now. One love in his life gone and the companionship in old age denied. 

Lookalikes. Who, and who ? ? ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

EDIT: first image from here:

https://www.oldtimeradiodownloads.com/actors/bela-lugosi

Second image from archive.org, "a non-profit digital library offering free universal access to books, movies & music, as well as 286 billion archived web pages."

Edited by Uncle George

14 hours ago, healdav said:

The difference between them is that Patton was a martinet, but to himself as well, and a professional to the ends of his finger nails.

Patton drove his men, but drove himself as well.

Buried with his men, near you !

2 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Buried with his men, near you !

Yes, and the only US serviceman not to be buried in among the other graves in the order in which he was buried. So many people came to see his grave they had to move him, so that now he lies at the head of his army.

Rumour has it that when his wife died the children were refused permission to bury her with him, so she was cremated and the ashes surreptitiously scattered on his grave.

Each time I have visited the cemetery I have wondered why his grave is set apart, so thanks for the explanation.

First one is Bela Lugosi, KuK 1914-1916. Second one's a challenge.

16 minutes ago, johntanner said:

First one is Bela Lugosi, KuK 1914-1916. Second one's a challenge.

Bela Lugosi it is.

8 hours ago, healdav said:

Yes, and the only US serviceman not to be buried in among the other graves in the order in which he was buried. So many people came to see his grave they had to move him, so that now he lies at the head of his army.

When I visited that cemetery, we were told that the move was to avoid excessive wear and tear on the grass! IIRC you can see the gap among the other graves where he was originally buried.

Ron

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

When I visited that cemetery, we were told that the move was to avoid excessive wear and tear on the grass! IIRC you can see the gap among the other graves where he was originally buried.

Ron

Yes, it was. There were so many people going to visit his grave.

In fact, I was at the commemorations in 2004 and it was very noticeable that the veterans who were there all wanted to be photographed at his grave, which didn't help the grass, which was dormant.

Even where his grave is now, they have to relay the grass quite regularly.

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

40 minutes ago, healdav said:

Yes, it was. There were so many people going to visit his grave.

In fact, I was at the commemorations in 2004 and it was very noticeable that the veterans who were there all wanted to be photographed at his grave, which didn't help the grass, which was dormant.

Even where his grave is now, they have to relay the grass quite regularly.

"Eisenhower and other officials walk to General George S. Patton's grave. Eisenhower places flowers on the grave and removes his hat. Closeup of Patton's grave." From archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/ADC-6219

Not sure about this but, assuming a KuK connection - Victor Oliver Von Samek? 

19 minutes ago, johntanner said:

Not sure about this but, assuming a KuK connection - Victor Oliver Von Samek? 

No. My chap "served Haig during the war - Geddes during the peace - and Lloyd George during the fateful years."

Here's two more images of our doppelgängers, both from Wikipedia:

image.jpg

image.jpg