The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

No. My chap "served Haig during the war - Geddes during the peace - and Lloyd George during the fateful years."

Sir Philip Sassoon-  looking remarkably like Ed Stoppard in the remake of "Upstairs,Downstairs" in which he played a well-connected,wealthy, aristocratic political insider-rather like.....Philip Sassoon

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Here's two more images of our doppelgängers, both from Wikipedia:

image.jpg

image.jpg

12 hours ago, Uncle George said:

"Eisenhower and other officials walk to General George S. Patton's grave. Eisenhower places flowers on the grave and removes his hat. Closeup of Patton's grave." From archive.org:

https://archive.org/details/ADC-6219

That is where Patton was buried at first. He now lies in an isolated grave right under the wall at the top of the cemetery as you go in. At the head of his army.

Sir Philip Sassoon-  looking remarkably like Ed Stoppard in the remake of "Upstairs,Downstairs" in which he played a well-connected,wealthy, aristocratic political insider-rather like.....Philip Sassoon

Sassoon it is. (Sorry - your post #6427 was delayed by many hours, so I didn't see it until today). I'll have to take your word about Ed Stoppard!

Image and quote from Beaverbrook's 'The Decline and Fall of Lloyd George' (1963).

https://archive.org/stream/declineandfallof006894mbp#page/n61/mode/2up

Someone to whom I saw a memorial today. Picture from Wikimedia Commons.

Who is this.jpg

59 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Someone to whom I saw a memorial today. Picture from Wikimedia Commons.

Sir Henry Wilson.

Correct. I'd been going along a line of "usual" memorials in Winchester Cathedral and "murdered" caught my attention no end.

b0000154.jpg

One to keep it going - this young officer executed his orders effectively, and lived a long life as a pacifist...

all the stuff about his overbearing mother and his father's career    

GUEST,

'All the stuff etc etc' was subscribed to by one who must have known him as well as, or better than most

His brother, the late Lt-Col Brian Montgomery, concluded in his book 'A Field Marshal in the Family'

"... the truth is that in his make-up, overall, he drew his strength, and much of his very strong character and tenacity, largely from our mother. He fought with her, frequently and for long, as has been told, and neither ever gave way. The reason is clear to see. They were both remarkably alike in character and personality, so obviously neither could give way. This is not to say that he was not fundamentally an Irishman like his father before him. But the Bishop, in addition to all his charm and sense of humour, was a mystic and seer as well as a scholar and a great evangelical churchman. It is to our mother that the Field-Marshal owed his iron will and determination, his complete self confidence in the rightness of his cause and his own ability to attain it."

regards

Michael

Michael-  Interesting stuff-  Decades since I read "Field Marshal in the Family". I was guided by Nigel Hamilton mostly, who  dwelt on the mother's character- and, quite obviously, it was a clash of similar wills. The father seemed more of a cypher, when I think he was much more of a dynamic force than Hamilton suggested.

I still urge that a listen to "Desert Island Discs" will be rewarding- a much more mellow man-and a pleasant surprise- Anyone who chooses "Cockles and Mussels" as one of his bits of music cannot be entirely miserable!!   Though it riases an interesting little sideline on just how old generals behave in their latter years. The last years of Earl Haig in the 1920s come to mind and his work for the Royal British legion

If you can zap it on You Tube, Monty in Love and War also has Monty leading a communal sing-song at an 8th Army re-union at the Albert Hall. A lovely contradiction to the earlier martinet.

Above all, I still think Monty displayed the loneliness of the widower in his last years. Occasionally, I have been in the crypt of St.Pauls with its memorials to the commanders of the Second World War. This country was well-served by all of them.

First go at this seems to have vanished. This is Captain Arthur Annan Dickson, 2/7th Sherwood Foresters. He commanded the firing squad for 4 of the 1916 leaders at Kilmainham but after the war became both a Quaker and a pacifist. I would hazard a guess that he did not holiday in Ireland in his later years.

10 hours ago, Andrew Upton said:

b0000154.jpg

One to keep it going - this young officer executed his orders effectively, and lived a long life as a pacifist...

2 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Francis Younghusband ?

Bit nearer home. Younghusband was a mystic. My man was just plain mad and bad

The black and white is one of the Irishmen who killed Sir Henry Hughes Wilson, but I can't recall his name. He had served in the British Army during the GW.

Thst's right, Jane.

There's a clue in my caption, for his name was Reginald Dunne.

His partner was Joseph O'Sullivan: both had served, and Sullivan had lost a leg, which rather hampered his escape. Both were captured within minutes of the murder, despite having shot and injured two policemen and a bystander.

They originally gave false names, viz. John O'Brien (Dunne) and James Connelly.

They were hanged together at Wandsworth on 10 August 1922 by John Ellis, with two assistant executioners.

#6440 is Repington, isn't it ?

The Riflemans duds and the Henry Wilson connection - that's my reasoning. 

First go at this seems to have vanished. This is Captain Arthur Annan Dickson, 2/7th Sherwood Foresters. He commanded the firing squad for 4 of the 1916 leaders at Kilmainham but after the war became both a Quaker and a pacifist. I would hazard a guess that he did not holiday in Ireland in his later years.

Correct - picture and further details from:

https://broadsidesdotme.wordpress.com/2012/01/04/a-duty-to-execute/

That may be Repington but it doesn't look like his moustache.

3 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

#6440 is Repington, isn't it ?

The Riflemans duds and the Henry Wilson connection - that's my reasoning. 

Nearer home but not Remington. My man was a wrong un alright-and an embarassment. In an oblique way, he dealt with the offending Press even more rabidly than Max Mosely would wish in today's clime.

3 hours ago, seaJane said:

That may be Repington but it doesn't look like his moustache.

Correctamento-  But it may be a cunning ploy to promote sales of my forthcoming 3 volume monograph on "Military Moustaches of Britain and the Empire"

5 hours ago, Uncle George said:

#6440 - it's not Dyer, is it?

Alas,No  Though Amritsar with Dyer is an interesting excercise in comparative history- a mob, a policing power and a lot of casualties. The vagaries of apologia, lie, misrepresentation from the various parties bear a strange parallel with the Golden Temple attack by the Indian government in more recent decades- Now where was that? Oh, Amritsar. Quel surprise.

Better add a clue - a rifleman-but the Royal Irish Rifles. Spent time in Broadmoor, then went to Canada. Which one was worse depends on your view of Canada. Spent only 19 months in Broadmoor.

Edited by Guest

Alas,No  Though Amritsar with Dyer is an interesting excercise in comparative history- a mob, a policing power and a lot of casualties. The vagaries of apologia, lie, misrepresentation from the various parties bear a strange parallel with the Golden Temple attack by the Indian government in more recent decades- Now where was that? Oh, Amritsar. Quel surprise.

Better add a clue - a rifleman-but the Royal Irish Rifles. Spent time in Broadmoor, then went to Canada. Which one was worse depends on your view of Canada. Spent only 19 months in Broadmoor.

This is one of the men he killed.

http://easter1916.ie/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/people_sheehy_skeffington.png