The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Captain John Colthurst Bowen-Colthurst? (I found him on the Forum).

Yes- Captain Coulthurst of the 1916 Rising- a one-man death squad. The journalist pictured was Francis Sheehy-Skeffington, a pacifist-wrong place, wrong time. There were rumours and hints at the time and subsequently that his murderous and sadistic behaviour had shown itself before in both South Africa and the British expedition to Tibet- Both campaigns had dubious matters relating to the treatment (ie death) of prisoners.

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

How about this chap? He deserted in 1915, yet was awarded two MCs.

image.jpg

Walter Schwarz fits the bill. Though I cannot track this photograph to confirm. A Queenslander, overe to Europe 1915 but feared he would not be allowed at the front due to his German background. Deserted and enlisted in 23rd Royal Fusiliers, wounded, commissioned,etc.

Walter Schwarz fits the bill. Though I cannot track this photograph to confirm. A Queenslander, overe to Europe 1915 but feared he would not be allowed at the front due to his German background. Deserted and enlisted in 23rd Royal Fusiliers, wounded, commissioned,etc.

Not him, no. He deserted from the Royal Navy: earned one MC at Arras; the second, fighting alongside Cossacks.

38 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Not him, no. He deserted from the Royal Navy: earned one MC at Arras; the second, fighting alongside Cossacks.

Gosh -2 men with the same basic story- How enthralling!!

I must have a severe word with my flunkey, Mr. George Oogle.

Gosh -2 men with the same basic story- How enthralling!!

I must have a severe word with my flunkey, Mr. George Oogle.

A further clue, then. He was awarded the DSO during the Second war; for which he was recommended by Orde Wingate.

Is this Hugh Bousted, UG? Another of that generation's great all rounders 

David

23 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

David

I think it is- though,fair go,I was misled by the photograph-thinking it was from the Great War. Rather than the 1933 Everest Expedition. Gad Sir, the standards had fallen- did they not have full bib and tucker for dinner?

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

David

It certainly is David. We see so many remarkable people on this thread, but ...

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hugh_Boustead

image from here:

https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/fp/news/local/the-adventures-of-a-gordon-highlander-war-hero-revealed/

And this chap?  No, it's not Tim McInenerny's elder brother from "Blackadder". Think Dryden.........    or perhaps he was mcuh involved in writing about finding his bearings.......

Image result for sir ronald storrs

Edited by Guest

A general officer in the RFC/RAF. Is it Lord Trenchard?

Ron

Lionel Charlton, who resigned from the RAF in the 1920s in protest against 'Air Policing' in Iraq.

11 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Lionel Charlton, who resigned from the RAF in the 1920s in protest against 'Air Policing' in Iraq.

Right man-wrong pic.  Well done!  Put the "right" one up later. Charlton featured for matters other than RAF

Right man-wrong pic.  Well done!  Put the "right" one up later. Charlton featured for matters other than RAF

Do you mean that the pic isn't of Charlton ?

This chap has a right-side medal ribbon which is usually Royal Humane Society or similar. Charlton's Wiki page makes no mention of, so . . . 

51 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Do you mean that the pic isn't of Charlton ?

This chap has a right-side medal ribbon which is usually Royal Humane Society or similar. Charlton's Wiki page makes no mention of, so . . . 

No-You got the right man for the pic- I put up the wrong pic for the clues previously given....these British officers all look the same to me!! The "right" one will be along shortly.

OK- an easy one. This chap-bearing a passing resemblance to Tommy Wilson is a well-known name. He was  on the receiving end of being sworn at by an even more famous Anglo-Irish egocentric

Image result for Ernle Chatfield

Photo- Wiki Commons, Bibliotheque Nationale- "domaine publique"

OK- an easy one. This chap-bearing a passing resemblance to Tommy Wilson is a well-known name. He was  on the receiving end of being sworn at by an even more famous Anglo-Irish egocentric

Photo- Wiki Commons, Bibliotheque Nationale- "domaine publique"

Woodrow Wilson?

Just now, Andrew Upton said:

Woodrow Wilson?

AU- Alas, no- It was a bit of a tease- "Tommy Wilson" is Woodrow Wilson- The President was known by most as Tommy Wilson but sharpened his name up to the posher "Thomas Woodrow Wilson" in the immediate years before being President-of either the US or Princeton.

No, our man is not of the same nationality- If they were related, it would cause a bit of a stir!!  Our man was supposed to be good at co-ordinating things., though Churchill thought not.

AU- Alas, no- It was a bit of a tease- "Tommy Wilson" is Woodrow Wilson- The President was known by most as Tommy Wilson but sharpened his name up to the posher "Thomas Woodrow Wilson" in the immediate years before being President-of either the US or Princeton.

No, our man is not of the same nationality- If they were related, it would cause a bit of a stir!!  Our man was supposed to be good at co-ordinating things., though Churchill thought not.

Chatfield? Minister for Co-ordination of Defence until binned by WSC in 1940.

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Chatfield? Minister for Co-ordination of Defence until binned by WSC in 1940.

Well done. Yes, Ernle Chatfield-  Captain of HMS Lion at Jutland- and various other battleships-Alas, historically tainted by association as David Beatty's bag carrier. Chatfield's reputation has not survived April-May 1940. though as an Admiral of the Fleet, he must have had some abilities.

He was ,of course, on the end of David Beatty's famous tirade "Something wrong with our bloody ships today" at Jutland

LION had a hell of a beating :(

And this old buffer- a picture taken in 1934.   What can we say about him?   Rather like King Canute- his area of control diminished substantially during the war.

Image result for Charles de Broqueville

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Lord Devonport (the Minister of Food Control)?

Fraid not-  this man was pretty controlling -starting with railways,not food.

Perhaps it's best to carry on.

Is he Alexander Kaye Butterworth, Chairman of the Railway Executive?