The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Carl

As you are to Belgians what Ghazala is to TEL can I assume the gentleman comes from Belgium!

David

Clocking in again for my 4 day stint. As usual, I see I`ve missed some more cracking posts.

Congratulations for finishing your labour of love, David. A fantastic effort, and I can`t wait to see the results. (War and Pieces...Vol 1)

Carl. Your man is Walthere Dewe. Founder of the White Lady. I had him and his cousin in my file "duos pending", so by posting him you`ve probably saved everyone from another world of pain at my hands. :thumbsup:

P.S........It`s good to see that we have been steered back home where we belong. :thumbsup:

Another fascinating story if my limited French has given me the gist. Good post Carl and good spot NF.

Pete.

I`m amazed we haven`t had this sportsman, but a search didn`t bring him up, so..;.

Who is this???post-95959-0-92283200-1408281476_thumb.j

Another fascinating story

Pete.

An interesting point (to me anyway !) is the network was spread over all Belgium and Luxembourg; I wonder what was the extent of the cooperation with the French intelligence services. Two brothers from a village near where I'm typing this, in the very south, were members and were executed at Liege.

I`m amazed we haven`t had this sportsman, but a search didn`t bring him up, so..;.

Who is this???attachicon.gifjut.jpg

Round or oval ball nf? (I'm trying everything to get Mr Drill back on the thread!)

David

Round or oval ball nf? (I'm trying everything to get Mr Drill back on the thread!)

David

Round, David. Does Mr.Drill prefer his balls to be oval?

I`ll be kind. He was either a footballer, or a cricketer, he was also a teacher.

He was the first of his profession to do something, which lead to many others following his example.

In case this is thought to be off topic, I posted it as an illustration of how society and institutions were able to continue under the strains of the War. Here we have a case, determining in essence "Who was telling the truth?" Was it a German-born, German accented man, "a not very impressive figure, quite alone, without a friend in the world", recently released from internment? Or a Member of Parliament, whose work during the Marconi carryon "had been such as to arouse in Mr. Lloyd George a lasting sense of gratitude"?

"The first day of the trial opened at a singularly inauspicious moment...the sinking of the 'Lusitania' and the drowning of over a thousand of English passengers...the hatred of all Germans had reached a pitch bordering on frenzy."

The jury found in favour of the German after ten minutes. All quotes from 'Cases in Court', the memoirs of Sir Patrick Hastings.

Gruban v Booth?

David

Inmates and Witters

I have now added WIT??? to the spreadsheet. As the Mods have placed them back in 'Others' together I will continue with a combined spreadsheet.

As of ten minutes ago the stats were 1066 WITs (oh how I am hoping NF's sportsman is called either Harold or William!), 8878 posts and 88,783 views.

Going through WIT??? I noticed my quiz question had gone unanswered. It was " What do Chris Baker, Stephen Fry, Teddy and Phoebe Corrigan have in common". The answer was that they are the only living people to have featured as WITs.

Stoppage Drill: thread Super-Villain, Lord Protector and op of WIT ???, the all time leading solver with 158 (over 15% of all WITs), appears to have left us as his last message was over 300 posts ago at post 327. It read "Well thank you duckie!" No, thank you Mr Drill. I, and many others I'm sure, learnt a heck of a lot from your posts.

I will be sending out 'WIT Spreadsheet 2' to those who have already requested it.

David

(oh how I am hoping NFs sportsman is called either Harold or William!),

Not Harold or William, or even Norman, I`m afraid.

He`s another V.C. recipient, but that`s nothing to do with his inspirational "first". His "first" was connected to WW1 via his sporting profession.

An interesting point (to me anyway !) is the network was spread over all Belgium and Luxembourg; I wonder what was the extent of the cooperation with the French intelligence services. Two brothers from a village near where I'm typing this, in the very south, were members and were executed at Liege.

I too am fascinating by the spying activities in WW1. An interest that has both been fired and fed right here on this goldmine of a thread.

Carl. Your man is Walthere Dewe. Founder of the White Lady. I had him and his cousin in my file "duos pending", so by posting him you`ve probably saved everyone from another world of pain at my hands. :thumbsup:

Congratulations !

Michelin, B 149, la Dame Blanche, and the Corps d'observation Anglais (English Observers Corps ?) covered Belgium, Luxemburg ( 2nd company of the 2nd batallion) and northern France

In World War II Dewé ran the networks Cleveland and Clarence until kia in 1944

Steve I do not think there was a lot of direct contact with the French. They received information through Allied Central Office (raised 1915) (Bureau Central Interallié)

Carl

Who is this???attachicon.gifjut.jpg

It is D S Bell I think NF. The first footballer VC and one of the first teachers to receive the award

David

It is D S Bell I think NF. The first footballer VC and one of the first teachers to receive the award

David

It is he. Well done David.

However, I`m not sure that he was the first footballer V.C., but if so then that`s another first that he can claim.

The first that I had in mind was that he was the first pro footballer to enlist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Simpson_Bell

It is he. Well done David.

However, I`m not sure that he was the first footballer V.C., but if so then that`s another first that he can claim.

The first that I had in mind was that he was the first pro footballer to enlist. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Donald_Simpson_Bell

On reflection he must be the first English footballing VC as Willie Angus who I was writing about recently won his in 1915. The only other English Football VC was won in 1918

David

Gruban v Booth?

David

Yes, Frederick Handel Booth MP, and John Gruban.

"...it is more than doubtful whether in any other country in the world such a result could have been achieved..."

Another fine mess I`m in with Carl`s man. Simply haven`t a clue.

In the meantime, from my "doubles" folder, a fairly easy one that, again, I`m surprised not to have seen here before.

Who are they, and what connects them???

post-95959-0-66767700-1408373126_thumb.jpost-95959-0-57731700-1408373140_thumb.j

the headdress is a clue

Carl

Is he holding a solar topee?

David

I'm guessing 646 is/are Roland Bradford, VC, and his brother, George, VC.

I'm guessing 646 is/are Roland Bradford, VC, and his brother, George, VC.

And you are guessing correctly, Steven. The only brothers to be awarded the V.C. in WW1.

There were four Bradford brothers in all, who between them in WW1 won two Victoria Crosses, a Distinguished Service Order and two Military Crosses. Quite a real life band of brothers.

Only one of them survived the war. http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk/history/10800636.print/

One more to keep us going. Not a V.C. winner, but a small award might be in order for the `tosh

Inventor. Engineer. post-95959-0-22882400-1408403198_thumb.j

One more to keep us going. Not a V.C. winner, but a small award might be in order for the `tosh

Inventor. Engineer. ju.jpg

I mustache you a question but I think I will shave it for later...