The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

6 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Perhaps it's best to carry on.

Is he Alexander Kaye Butterworth, Chairman of the Railway Executive?

Alas, No. Our man was Minister of Posts and Rail in a European country before going on to bigger things-or, as the Germans arranged it in 1914, smaller things!!

29 minutes ago, cdr said:

That is Belgian Prime Minister Charles de Broqueville ?

Carl

Oui!!   But if you didn't recognize him then who would?  Not the most well known of the leaders of the Allies

Back in the game after a wonderful couple of weeks in Wales with my little tribe.

Whilst I was there I thought of my forum pals and took this picture of a well known constable:

Not too difficult I feel, but where was I at the time ???

20170523_211604.jpg.88071200c45c302278b8fba65481d7ac.jpg

Edited by neverforget

Welcome back NF.

This statue is of Ll.G at Caernarfon - he was Constabke of Caernarfon Castle. MP for Caernarfon Boroughs for over fifty years.

Edited by Uncle George

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Welcome back NF.

This statue is of Ll.G at Caernarfon - he was Constabke of Caernarfon Castle. MP for Caernarfon Boroughs for over fifty years.

Thank you Uncle George. Spot on of course. 

6 minutes ago, johnboy said:

Standing behind it?

I did get one or two odd looks taking a rear profile shot I must say, but still instantly recognizable I think.

The statue of Ll.G in the House of Commons Lobby depicts him, "in morning dress, in Commons debating pose, forefinger raised. It was no masterpiece, and was later said to make its subject look 'like a provincial pettifogger raising a piddling point of order'.

"After Churchill's death, a statue of him too was commissioned to stand on the vacant plinth on the other side of the arch. [...] The problem was that it was significantly larger than that of Lloyd George [...] That, though, is appropriately symbolic of the fate of the popular reputations of their subjects. Lloyd George, though he still finds his champions, is overborne by Churchill who, in his bold and familiar contours, dominates the scene. This reverses what was for a long time true in life." 

From Richard Toye's 'Rivals for Greatness' (2007).

Edited by Uncle George

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Thank you Uncle George. Spot on of course. 

I did get one or two odd looks taking a rear profile shot I must say, but still instantly recognizable I think.

Good to know that Mr. George still retains his popularity with pigeons- and good to see that they are so well fed in Caernarfon.

Another statue commemorating a notable act of bravery. 

Refused to leave his post, sending others away and remaining alone until finally overwhelmed. 

The fund for his statue was organised by a celebrated British actress.29952874484_a9e9cea524.jpg.65f26d47f391db7cfa9c577a62c6e371.jpg

I know. I was there for the unveiling.

The fund to pay for the statue was run from a fund-raising shop in the town.

I will leave it for others to try and work it out.

CGM

20 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Herbert Columbine ?

Is correct Mr. Drill.

Yet another example of selfless heroism and self-sacrifice.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbert_George_Columbine

(Photo taken from flickr.com.)

Edited by neverforget

This chap similarly has a statue in his home town-   No politics - but alas this town has been in the news very recently for all the wrong reasons. So let's remember a better man from the same place.

Image result for statue vc winner

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

This chap similarly has a statue in his home town-   No politics - but alas this town has been in the news very recently for all the wrong reasons. So let's remember a better man from the same place.

Image result for statue vc winner

Quite so. This is Henry Drain V.C. Decorated for his part in the famous escapade of getting the guns away at Le Cateau along with Douglas Reynolds and Frederick Luke. 

These three characters have a connection to a "joyful" town in Australia. 

The "joyful" hint will only help if you speak the lingo.

tr.jpg.7a5b321a8c8c46e6aa11ef50f63c223f.jpg

Assuming that you will have guessed that V.C.s are involved, two were won on the same day (jointly), and the other in the Boer War. 

The story I found states that no other town in the Commonwealth can claim more V.C. awards than this, but I don't wish to be be held to the validity of this "joyful" claim, be it true or not. 

Edited by neverforget

31 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Quite so. This is Henry Drain V.C. Decorated for his part in the famous escapade of getting the guns away at Le Cateau along with Douglas Reynolds and Frederick Luke. 

From Barking, Essex- the other end of the county from Walton on the Naze

11 hours ago, neverforget said:

These three characters have a connection to a "joyful" town in Australia. 

The "joyful" hint will only help if you speak the lingo.

tr.jpg.7a5b321a8c8c46e6aa11ef50f63c223f.jpg

Assuming that you will have guessed that V.C.s are involved, two were won on the same day (jointly), and the other in the Boer War. 

The story I found states that no other town in the Commonwealth can claim more V.C. awards than this, but I don't wish to be be held to the validity of this "joyful" claim, be it true or not. 

Are two of them Captain Newlands and Sergeant Whittle, both of 12 Bn AIF, who won the VC on 9 April 1917?

Ron

(Barking is my home town, too)

Edited by Ron Clifton

20 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Are two of them Captain Newlands and Sergeant Whittle, both of 12 Bn AIF, who won the VC on 9 April 1917?

Ron

(Barking is my home town, too)

'Frayed knot Ron. 

A further clue: 59366cef17eb8_download(1).jpg.6b38a4288cf65f61a4648197b47900c4.jpg

20 minutes ago, neverforget said:

'Frayed knot Ron. 

A further clue: 59366cef17eb8_download(1).jpg.6b38a4288cf65f61a4648197b47900c4.jpg

This would suggest that one of the statues is of Lt Col Leslie Maygar,VC. Though.......  Strewth!! The local sculptor should have stayed on for Lesson 2. 

The other 2 VCs are Tubb and Burton, of the Great War. Maygar won his VC in the Boer War,although his distinguished condut with the Australian Light Horse brought hum further honors until his death at Beersheba in 1917.

The town is Euroa- a local aboriginal word for "joyful".  

File:VC Memorial Park Euroa - Statues - Anzac Memorial (Maygar, Tubb, Burton).jpg

Picture Source -Wikimedia Commons

Edited by Guest

3 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

This would suggest that one of the statues is of Lt Col Leslie Maygar,VC. Though.......  Strewth!! The local sculptor should have stayed on for Lesson 2. 

Maygar is correct. Well done.

The three statues were meant to represent three stages of life. Namely Young Mature and Seasoned. They stand side by side in the town that I have mentioned. 

35 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

The other 2 VCs are Tubb and Burton, of the Great War. Maygar won his VC in the Boer War,although his distinguished condut with the Australian Light Horse brought hum further honors until his death at Beersheba in 1917.

The town is Euroa- a local aboriginal word for "joyful".  

File:VC Memorial Park Euroa - Statues - Anzac Memorial (Maygar, Tubb, Burton).jpg

Picture Source -Wikimedia Commons

Yes. Your edited post now has all the answers. 

Well played.

http://euroa.org.au/honouring-our-heroes/

Edited by neverforget

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Brothers in Arms. Who are they ? ? ?

image.jpg

Are they two of the brothers Ryan?

11 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Are they two of the brothers Ryan?

They are not. Their father says:

"I should have been sorry to ask a nice honest upright lad to risk his life for the greed of gain. I could not have done it - my two boys are in the new Army - two as nice boys as you will find anywhere."