The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

15 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

They are not. Their father says:

"I should have been sorry to ask a nice honest upright lad to risk his life for the greed of gain. I could not have done it - my two boys are in the new Army - two as nice boys as you will find anywhere."

The Lloyd brothers from Birmingham?

9 minutes ago, neverforget said:

The Lloyd brothers from Birmingham?

Er, no.

Both ended up in the House of Lords - "five hundred men chosen at random from the ranks of the unemployed."

22 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Er, no.

Both ended up in the House of Lords - "five hundred men chosen at random from the ranks of the unemployed."

The 2nd Early Lloyd George of Gwyfor and the 1st Viscount Tenby?

Yes! Image from David Williamson's 'Lloyd George - a Man of the People' (1917).

https://archive.org/details/lloydgeorgemanof00will

According to Williamson, both sons "joined the Royal Welsh [sic] Fusiliers"; their badges in the photograph would seem to confirm this.

Gwilym's Wikipedia page tells us (with no source given) that he was commissioned into the RWF, and transferred into the RGA: his MIC confirms this. 

Richard's Wikipedia page says (again, with no source) that he was "commissioned into the Royal Engineers". I cannot find his MIC.

• Admin

Francis and Rivvy Grenfell.

I believe Rivvy is the one wearing the Sam Browne. Buried Vendresse Communal. Francis buried at Vlamertinghe I think. 

6 minutes ago, Michelle Young said:

Francis and Rivvy Grenfell.

I believe Rivvy is the one wearing the Sam Browne. Buried Vendresse Communal. Francis buried at Vlamertinghe I think. 

Riversdale-Yes- So for the record...the other is...

Edited by Guest

• Admin

Riversdale Nonus Grenfell and Francis Octavius Grenfell. 

Bingo!!     And this chap-

His Boer War record reads like a list of clasps for the Q/KSA medla (In fact he had 6 clasps)

He took part in the advance on, and relief of, Kimberley, including the actions at Belmont, Enslin, Modder River and Magersfonteln, and in the operations in the Orange Free State from Feb. to May, 1900, including the actions at Paardeberg, Poplar Grove, and Karee Siding.Wounded Transvaal 1901

His younger brother was a noted twitcher (No, not Bill Oddie)

Image result for victor brooke

Hmmm - twitcher ... brother to Edward Hilton Young? Edward Grey?

sJ

Not in the photograph they weren't, and not for another 30 or 40 years !

6 hours ago, seaJane said:

Hmmm - twitcher ... brother to Edward Hilton Young? Edward Grey?

sJ

Alas, No-  Grey would be a bit too old for our purposes- the famous picture of him fishing with a bird sitting on his head probably suggests low limits to Grey's potential military ability.

Our man was an early casualty of the Great War- Churchill, who knew him, (and the younger brother)  put his death down to sheer exhaustion, which is not correct but the family had a splendid tradition of military service. If it helps (which it probably will not) then-tongue in cheek-the younger brother was involved in zoo management (And no, this is not a clutch of Durrells)

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Not in the photograph they weren't, and not for another 30 or 40 years !

Exactly so- but the questioner specifically said that both became peers, so thus, the answer given

Alas, No-  Grey would be a bit too old for our purposes- the famous picture of him fishing with a bird sitting on his head probably suggests low limits to Grey's potential military ability.

Our man was an early casualty of the Great War- Churchill, who knew him, (and the younger brother)  put his death down to sheer exhaustion, which is not correct but the family had a splendid tradition of military service. If it helps (which it probably will not) then-tongue in cheek-the younger brother was involved in zoo management (And no, this is not a clutch of Durrells)

Is this Alanbrooke's brother? He served with WSC but I can't remember his name.

EDIT: His name was Victor Brooke.

3 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Alanbrooke's brother? He served with WSC but I can't remember his name.

You are almost there UG-  Churchill had glowing words to say about 2 of Brookie's older brothers, whom he had known. This is Victor, dow 1915.  The tease is that Alan Brooke was "involved" in zoo management-as he was a distinguished  head of the Zoological Society of London in his retirement years, and ,of course, RSPB

Like the Grenfells,  Victor Brooke  was doomed by the Great War- the courage and gallantry they all showed was incompatible with survival (or much chance of it) in a grim ternch war.

Edited by Guest

You are almost there UG-  Churchill had glowing words to say about 2 of Brookie's older brothers, whom he had known. This is Victor, dow 1915.  The tease is that Alan Brooke was "involved" in zoo management-as he was a distinguished  head of the Zoological Society of London in his retirement years, and ,of course, RSPB

Like the Grenfells,  Victor Brooke  was doomed by the Great War- the courage and gallantry they all showed was incompatible with survival (or much chance of it) in a grim ternch war.

WSC to Alan Brooke in 1941:

"I did not expect that you would be grateful or overjoyed at the hard anxious task to which I summon you. But I feel that my old friendship for Ronnie and Victor, the companions of gay subaltern days and early wars, is a personal bond between us, to which will soon be added the comradeship of action in fateful events."

EDIT: But he also said, later in the Second war, "When I thump the table and push my face towards him, what does he do? Thumps the table harder and glares back. I know these Brookes - stiff-necked Ulstermen and there is no one worse to deal with than that!"

52 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

WSC to Alan Brooke in 1941:

"I did not expect that you would be grateful or overjoyed at the hard anxious task to which I summon you. But I feel that my old friendship for Ronnie and Victor, the companions of gay subaltern days and early wars, is a personal bond between us, to which will soon be added the comradeship of action in fateful events."

EDIT: But he also said, later in the Second war, "When I thump the table and push my face towards him, what does he do? Thumps the table harder and glares back. I know these Brookes - stiff-necked Ulstermen and there is no one worse to deal with than that!"

Glad to be reminded of these well-known remarks about Brookie. A distinguished family- the careers of Ronnie and Victor show that the family tradition of dynamic military activity was not just the superb "office" job done by AB in WW2- AB's Great War record  should be better known- the Canadian stuff  in particular for ABs work.

More brothers, but three this time. 

Who are they???WiT1.jpg.00bec4570869ef37d4469ea9c18cefde.jpg

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

More brothers, but three this time. 

Who are they???WiT1.jpg.00bec4570869ef37d4469ea9c18cefde.jpg

Royal Canadians - the Millets.

25 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Royal Canadians - the Millets.

Right first time. Well done.

Two of them were awarded the Military Cross. 

Very popular with the birds too I wouldn't doubt.

Picture from here.http://regimentalrogue.com/rcr_great_war_officers/rcr_offr_millett_fb.html

Now that NF's brothers have been identified, here are a father and son:

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

25 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Now that NF's brothers have been identified, here are a father and son:

image.jpg

image.jpg

I immediately recognized the Jeremy Corbyn lookalike as Baron Nathaniel Rothschild, but it took rather longer to pinpoint which son, who appears to also be called Nathaniel, but was better known as Charles. 

Subjects of more conspiracy theories than probably anyone; not all of which were unfounded of course.

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I immediately recognized the Jeremy Corbyn lookalike as Baron Nathaniel Rothschild, but it took rather longer to pinpoint which son, who appears to also be called Nathaniel, but was better known as Charles. 

Subjects of more conspiracy theories than probably anyone; not all of which were unfounded of course.

He does look like ol' Corby, you're right! Ll.G speaks very highly of him in his 'Memoirs' - he had sent for him in 1914 to ask his advice on stabilising the pound:

image.jpg