The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Charles was an advisor to the Ministry of Munitions. He also donated "two valuable forests as a free gift to the nation," and sent this generous letter to Ll.G:

(Images of the Rothschilds from Wikipedia. Excerpts from the 'Memoirs' from archive.org.)

image.jpg

15 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He does look like ol' Corby, you're right! Ll.G speaks very highly of him in his 'Memoirs' - he had sent for him in 1914 to ask his advice on stabilising the pound:

image.jpg

Ll.G. couldn't have sought more expert opinion on matters of finance I would wager.

I have been quite fascinated by this family for a while I must say, though I am their exact opposite when it comes to handling money. The only thing I have ever been adept at in that department is spending it. Oh and wasting it too. I'm even more expert at that.?

Edited by neverforget

27 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I've read a fair bit about them, and their conflicts of interests within the family, but hadn't seen this before. Thanks for posting.

Another interesting take on things here: https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/thedaysofnoah.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/the-rothschild-1901-1919-the-secret-creators-of-world-war-1/amp/#ampshare=https://thedaysofnoah.wordpress.com/2011/01/03/the-rothschild-1901-1919-the-secret-creators-of-world-war-1/

One of four brothers from another high profile family, but the only one of the four who joined the fray. 

The other three were conscientious objectors, but he saw them as "beastly and unpatriotic".

A picture of him here:20170607_183321.jpg.8d3ca1843be205349f7304c8847804a9.jpg

Plus one of an actor in his role:8089280.jpg.6716261475f015e86ac339763b795b1f.jpg

EDIT:Just found a better picture of him:8089111.jpg.e42432aacc833c295867e979b38f3c99.jpg

Edited by neverforget

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Blimey!

That's what I thought. The conspiracy theorists would have us believe they started both world wars and footed the bill for both sides into the bargain. 

I suppose when you're minted to that extent life must be so boring that you run out of things to do.

( I don't seem to be able to find the tongue in cheek icon.)

To help with #6533; I can reveal that his family were bankers, and that he was awarded the M.C. and was killed during the Somme battle. 

Two of his brothers, despite refusing to fight, served with the Friends Ambulance Unit

10 minutes ago, neverforget said:

To help with #6533; I can reveal that his family were bankers, and that he was awarded the M.C. and was killed during the Somme battle. 

Two of his brothers, despite refusing to fight, served with the Friends Ambulance Unit

I think he's Alan Lloyd.

40 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I think he's Alan Lloyd.

You think right U.G. 

Part of the Lloyd's bank dynasty. https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/461355

Picture taken from here:https://livesofthefirstworldwar.org/lifestory/2683439

After a brief visit home at Christmas 1915, where he met his son David for the first time, he was dispatched to the Somme. Ten days into the slaughter there he mailed her: "We are quite alright tho of course have had a hard time. Still it hasn't been nearly so rough as it might have been & we've done pretty well so far & hope to do better still... We are all very cheery & bright so don't fret your little self."

He added, with unwarranted optimism: "Probably they'll relieve us shortly," before signing off "Tons of love, Yr Hub".

This was his last letter home.

Edited by neverforget

A topical candidate:

K.I.A. 100 years ago.

20170608_115724.jpg

2 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Of course, Willie Redmond

Too easy I know, but I thought I'd post him more in remembrance than anything else, as he is doubly apt today.

http://www.westernfrontassociation.com/great-war-people/memorials/343-maj-william-hoey-kearney-redmond.html#sthash.GeqZD7HZ.q4U6fVt9.dpbs

28 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

Fair Go-    Now what about this chap- one of 2 brothers killed in the war and,again, topical today

Image result for harold thomas cawley

It looks like Captain Harold Thomas Cawley, MP for Heywood. Killed in action at Gallipoli. Harold’s younger brother, Major John Stephen Cawley had been killed in September 1914 in France. His youngest brother, Oswald also died in France, in August 1918, which actually makes makes three out of four brothers lost to the conflict

Edited by neverforget

That's easy! I thought to myself. De Valera, first won an election to the House of Commons 100 years ago. 

But wait ...

19 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

That's easy! I thought to myself. De Valera, first won an election to the House of Commons 100 years ago. 

But wait ...

The suspense is killing me!

Normally I wouldn't hesitate to concede to your vastly superior knowledge on these matters U.G. but having now looked at pictures of De Valera, I still think it looks more like Cawley. This is the picture I have of him here, which I was ready to post: 1910_harold_thomas_cawley_mp.jpg.5c8f24b5db796bb185ce6fbf4a683ab8.jpg

Taken from here:https://thehistoryofparliament.wordpress.com/2015/09/23/mps-in-world-war-i-harold-thomas-cawley-1878-1915/

Cawley its is. Without in any way being anti-Irish nationalist, Dev usually comes across in pictures looking a bit more miserable

Well well. My being correct is one major political surprise.  I wonder if yhere will be any more today ?

Election day! Why should we remember this chap (apart from the fact that he has been described "as the least distinguished Lord Chancellor in the first three decades of the twentieth century" ? ? ?

image.jpg

Image from the National Portrait Gallery.

Edited by Uncle George

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

Election day! Why should we remember this chap (apart from the fact that he has been described "as the least distinguished Lord Chancellor in the first three decades of the twentieth century" ? ? ?

image.jpg

I know who he is but still working on part two of your question. 

21 minutes ago, neverforget said:

I know who he is but still working on part two of your question. 

“War by all classes of our countrymen has brought us nearer together, has opened men’s eyes, and removed misunderstandings on all sides. It has made it, I think, impossible that ever again, at all events in the lifetime of the present generation, there should be a revival of the old class feeling which was responsible for so much, and, among other things, ... "

This  is George Cave, Home Secretary in the Loyd George Coalition and subsequently Lord Chancellor; he should be remembered for at least 3 things:

1) Taking through RPA 1918-women's vote, extension of the franchise to almost all men

2) His part in the prosecution of Roger Casement and the adventures of the "Black Book"

3) His minority report on the conduct of Rufus Isaacs et al in the Marconi Scandal- where the leading politicos. did not come out well.

Personally, he should be remembered most for his Mission to Holland in 1918 to negotiate with the Germans about the treatment of prisoners of War (and,on a military matter,his part in the post-war Munitions Enquiry)

Yes it is George Cave. By the first two words of my post #6549 I was making reference to GUEST's point no. 1. 

'Introducing the Bill, the Home Secretary George Cave said: “War by all classes of our countrymen has brought us nearer together, has opened men’s eyes, and removed misunderstandings on all sides. It has made it, I think, impossible that ever again, at all events in the lifetime of the present generation, there should be a revival of the old class feeling which was responsible for so much, and, among other things, for the exclusion for a period, of so many of our population from the class of electors. I think I need say no more to justify this extension of the franchise.” '

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/men/thinking-man/11509811/Why-has-everyone-forgotten-about-male-suffrage.html