The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Believe it or not, I was just in the middle of posting that male suffrage was what you were looking for when your reply came through.

Well done to Mr.V. 

Staying in theme; a Coldstreamer first:

c1p.jpg.d3ea7e6e9132fcc9a0cd7f302541e9f9.jpg

• Admin
5 hours ago, neverforget said:

Staying in theme; a Coldstreamer first:

c1p.jpg.d3ea7e6e9132fcc9a0cd7f302541e9f9.jpg

Robert Cornwallis Maude, 6th Viscount Hawarden. Buried at Landrecies Communal. Visited him on many 

occasions 

4 hours ago, Michelle Young said:

Robert Cornwallis Maude, 6th Viscount Hawarden. Buried at Landrecies Communal. Visited him on many 

occasions 

Quite correct Michelle. Well played.

The first peer to die in action. 

https://www.alistairlexden.org.uk/sites/www.alistairlexden.org.uk/files/house_magazine_-_lords_and_ww1_0.pdf

Picture taken from here:http://www.winchestercollegeatwar.com/archive/viscount-robert-cornwallis-maude-hawarden/

Let's try this chap- a highly unusual  career during the Great War.  What job had he turned down before enlisting?  His diaries are not long published. A most interesting man.

Crawford27.JPG

3 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

David Lindsay, Earl of Crawford and Balcarres, served as a Private Soldier RAMC

He was a Lance Corporal- he viewed his career ceiling as being Sergeant in time. Ironic given the job he turned down.....which was??????

Being Viceroy of India, if I recall correctly.

2 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Being Viceroy of India, if I recall correctly.

Exactly-   Viceroy of India or Private in RAMC-not a choice the average job-seeker gets nowadays.

And this chap?     A Tynesider with pronounced political views (Historical,not current):

"I often wonder when the working men of England will wake up and see things as other people see them. What they want in England is a good revolution and that will clear some of these Millionaires and lords and Dukes out of it and then with a Labour Government they will almost be able to make their own conditions."

Image result

John Kirkpatrick ?

aka Simpson.

The Man With the Donkey from Shrapnel Gully 

Edited by Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

John Kirkpatrick ?

aka Simpson.

The Man With the Donkey from Shrapnel Gully 

That is the answer you get if you click on the photo!

Ron

1 hour ago, michaeldr said:

Was the above quote taken from a letter to his sister Annie?

(another Geordie)

Michael

Not sure- My old friend Mr. William  Ikipedia provided the info. Simpson is well covered in Oz publications- the source will be there. Not the first famous name of the Great War (who didn't survive) to have leftish views.  A neglected topic- done for WW2- ABCA,etc but not so much in the Great War. And it's a serious topic that is under-researched- front-line OR political views and their expression during the war years.  

I have before me my copy of "The Man With The Donkey" by Sir Irving Benson, which I purchased new for 12/6 from a bookshop in Deansgate, Manchester. GUEST's photo is the frontispiece, with a caption that it was taken on his 21st birthday.

The book is dedicated to Annie, who Benson met whilst writing the book, which contains many transcripts of the correspondence between Kirkpatrick/Simpson and his mother and sister. I will see if I can find the quote.

Book: Hodder and Stoughton, 1965

Aah, now if you had posted a picture of his ass, I would have recognised it immediately.

Murphy and Duffy, if I am not mistaken appeared here during our blitz on ww1 animals.

Edited by neverforget

13 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Aah, now if you had posted a picture of his ass, I would have recognised it immediately.

Murphy and Duffy, if I am not mistaken appeared here during our blitz on ww1 animals.

Alas, more than one Duffy-  Mk 1,Mk 2,etc.

Alas, more than one Duffy-  Mk 1,Mk 2,etc.

Quite so, not forgetting Roly either. 

Probably had more donkeys than aliases and knicknames. 

How about this defiant early hero???

fh.jpg

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

How about this defiant early hero???

fh.jpg

Captain Heym defender of Fort Troyon.

39 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

Captain Heym defender of Fort Troyon.

Indeed so, well spotted. When asked by the Germans to surrender he famously replied:

"Surrender? Never, I rather prefer to burn in the ruins than surrender!" Following this he did indeed set fire to the fort, which drew the enemy out into the open and allowed them to be mown down by gunfire.

Thanks to the courage of the 400 or so occupants, the success of the French troops on the Marne and the Grand-Couronne, and the arrival of reinforcements from Toul, the fort was saved, and subsequently never fell into enemy hands for the duration of the war.

http://pierreswesternfront.punt.nl/content/2008/03/fort-troyon

Picture taken from here:

http://roadstothegreatwar-ww1.blogspot.de/2013/12/remembering-veteran-capitaine-francois.html?m=1

Edited by neverforget

Is he Colonel Jacquot, regimental CO at the beginning of the war but killed shortly afterwards, "cigarette in hand", according to their history?

Edit: Apparently not - I had not seen NF's reply when I posted. They must have bred them tough in the 166eme!

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

How are these two bound together by fate???

d1.jpg.3d26b156caa0651ef037de592a3283af.jpgd2.jpg.2fc5bd4c6ced4afb1d54a5ef9919a848.jpg

5 hours ago, neverforget said:

How are these two bound together by fate???

d1.jpg.3d26b156caa0651ef037de592a3283af.jpgd2.jpg.2fc5bd4c6ced4afb1d54a5ef9919a848.jpg

Kroll (left) shot down and killed Dorme (right) - 25 May 1917.

31 minutes ago, Phil Wood said:

Kroll (left) shot down and killed Dorme (right) - 25 May 1917.

Right again Phil. Well played. 

Two high scoring aces whom up to now haven't featured here on W.I.T.

As you say; Rene Dorme, officially credited with 23 kills, but unofficially estimated to have been responsible for up to 43. France's 2nd highest scoring ace at the time of his death.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/René_Dorme

Shot down by Heinrich Kroll of Jasta 9, credited with 33 victories. Kroll escaped several very close shaves but came through the war more or less intact.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heinrich_Kroll

Edited by neverforget