The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

15 hours ago, David Filsell said:

I think many would dispute your view of SES?

FES?

"But his close friends, and certainly I, acclaimed him for what he was - a sincere patriot; a wise, grave, sober-minded statesman; a truly great jurist; a scholar of high attainments; and a gay, brilliant, loyal, lovable being." (WSC).

"....a sincere patriot; a wise, grave, sober-minded statesman"   A 1911 photo when he was indeed also a soldier.

MC

Woodstock QOOH 1911 - Copy.jpg

Imagine being in the dock and having that stare directed at you !

He was TF - Queens Own Oxfordshire Hussars.

Winnie and Effie sharing a moment.

(Photo from  'Frederick Edwin, Earl of Birkenhead' by His Son. Thornton Butterworth, London, 1935)

14973662793282043534287.jpg.c90034b3a6205ba060b9c9cd9a936349.jpg

"He had all the canine virtues in a remarkable degree - courage, fidelity, vigilance, love of the chase ... Man of the world; man of affairs; master of the law; adept at the written or spoken word; athlete; sportsman; book-lover - there were few topics in which he was not interested, and whatever attracted him, he could expound and embellish." 

(WSC again.)

Edited by Uncle George
spelling

51 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

A couple of mighty brandy swiggers too.

Yes indeed. "His record remains. It is not in every aspect a model for all to copy. Whose is? He seemed to have a double dose of human nature. He burned all his candles at both ends."  (WSC.)

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

"He had all the canine virtues in a remarkable degree - courage, fidelity, vigilance, love of the chase ... Man of the world; man of affairs; master of the law; adept at the written or spoken word; athlete; sportsman; book-lover - there were few topics in which he was not interested, and whatever attracted him, he could expound and embellish." 

(WSC again.)

Such as cocking his leg:  The tale of how he used to walk from the Inns of Court down to the House of Commons says it all- Stopping every time at the same club, of which he was not a member, to use the Gents. Until challenged eventually by commissionaire:

Excuse Sir, where are you going?

FE: The Gents.

Are you a member of the National Liberal Club?

FE: You mean it's a club as well?

Not a picture which would be much too recognisable, but a quote. After being wounded and returned to the UK, when asked about what it was like in France he is alleged to have said:

"Oh, my dear, the noise! and the people!"

RM

Edited by rolt968

Ah, in an earlier WIT incarnation, I confused this chap with his cousin,and erroneously claimed to have met him !

1 hour ago, rolt968 said:

Not a picture which would be much too recognisable, but a quote. After being wounded and returned to the UK, when asked about what it was like in France he is alleged to have said:

"Oh, my dear, the noise! and the people!"

RM

Sounds like Saki (H H Monro).

17 minutes ago, seaJane said:

Sounds like Saki (H H Monro).

Alas no. This man served with Queen Victoria's Rifles. Living at 142 Sloane St, London when he enlisted!

1 hour ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Ah, in an earlier WIT incarnation, I confused this chap with his cousin,and erroneously claimed to have met him !

You could be on the right track this time.

We are working our way through the Clan Chelmsford of that Ilk. France was a little noisy for Ernest Thesiger, now a forgotten actor. I think he eclipsed dear Noel for being louche.

PS France hasn't changed much

Edited by Guest

6 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

We are working our way through the Clan Chelmsford of that Ilk. France was a little noisy for Ernest Thesiger, now a forgotten actor. I think he eclipsed dear Noel for being louche.

PS France hasn't changed much

He was wounded on 1 January 1915 and invalided out. His record survives.

He is alleged to have been seen in bizarre circumstances at Madresfield Court.

16 minutes ago, rolt968 said:

He was wounded on 1 January 1915 and invalided out. His record survives.

He is alleged to have been seen in bizarre circumstances at Madresfield Court.

I would apologise to his memory-any man wounded in His Majesty's service is a good sort by my reckoning. However, Oxford DNB suggests he was wounded before he got to the front-Do we know the details? That he set up a putative school of embroidery at the end of the war as a therapy mostly for wounded officers suggests, well, er, an unconventional approach to life

Now,who is this- born in Islington, noted for playing Sherlock Whats-His-Name in films. His son helped to reach for the sky in the 1950s. Oh- and 28th Londons (Artists Rifles) in the You-Know-What War

Image result for clive brook

8 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

...................... That he set up a putative school of embroidery at the end of the war as a therapy mostly for wounded officers suggests, well, er, an unconventional approach to life

Not so. Embroidery was a very common occupation at that time, for all ranks.

See here.

The fact that he chose to mostly offer places to wounded officers is just indicative of the times, I feel.

8 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

I would apologise to his memory-any man wounded in His Majesty's service is a good sort by my reckoning. However, Oxford DNB suggests he was wounded before he got to the front-Do we know the details? That he set up a putative school of embroidery at the end of the war as a therapy mostly for wounded officers suggests, well, er, an unconventional approach to life

Now,who is this- born in Islington, noted for playing Sherlock Whats-His-Name in films. His son helped to reach for the sky in the 1950s. Oh- and 28th Londons (Artists Rifles) in the You-Know-What War

Image result for clive brook

He is Clive Brook, father of Lyndon Brook.

UG, Raymond Massey possibly? Canadian artilleryman, suffered from shell shock apparently.

Pete.

20 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

UG, Raymond Massey possibly? Canadian artilleryman, suffered from shell shock apparently.

Pete.

Yes indeed.

This piece of information on his Wikipedia struck me on the funny-bone: 

He appeared in "the low-budget film Seven Angry Men".

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raymond_Massey

10 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

There is quite a lot in his record. His right hand was damaged "disabled" by shell fragments.

Conan Doyle meets one of the Great and Good of the Great War in 1916: who is he describing ? ? ?

"He is by nature a destroyer, incapable of rebuilding what he has pulled down. With his personal force, his eloquence, his thundering voice, his bitter pen, he could wreck any policy, but would not even trouble to suggest an alternative. As he sat before me with his face of an old prizefighter (he is remarkably like Jim Mace as I can remember him in his later days), his angry grey eyes and his truculent, mischievous smile, he seemed to me a very dangerous man. "

31 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Conan Doyle meets one of the Great and Good of the Great War in 1916: who is he describing ? ? ?

"He is by nature a destroyer, incapable of rebuilding what he has pulled down. With his personal force, his eloquence, his thundering voice, his bitter pen, he could wreck any policy, but would not even trouble to suggest an alternative. As he sat before me with his face of an old prizefighter (he is remarkably like Jim Mace as I can remember him in his later days), his angry grey eyes and his truculent, mischievous smile, he seemed to me a very dangerous man. "

Alfred Harmsworth, Lord Northcliffe by any chance UG? He looks pugilistic to me.

Pete

14 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Alfred Harmsworth, Lord Northcliffe by any chance UG? He looks pugilistic to me.

Pete

Not him Pete, no.

"His conversation, if a squirt on one side and Niagara on the other can be called conversation, was directed for the moment upon the iniquity of the English rate of exchange, which seemed to me very much like railing against the barometer. My companion, who has forgotten more economics than ever [this man] knew, was about to ask whether France was prepared to take the rouble at face value, but the roaring voice, like a strong gramophone with a blunt needle, submerged all argument. We have our dangerous men, but we have no one in the same class as [this chap]. Such men enrage the people who know them, alarm the people who don't, set every one by the ears, act as a healthy irritant in days of peace, and are a public danger in days of war."

I'm sorry I haven't a clue*, but I'm looking forward to finding out who he is.

Pete.

*do you know, that would make a cracking title for a panel game, I'm surprised nobody has thought of it.......