The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

17 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

I'm sorry I haven't a clue*, but I'm looking forward to finding out who he is.

Pete.

*do you know, that would make a cracking title for a panel game, I'm surprised nobody has thought of it.......

You quoted AA Milne yesterday on another Thread.

image.jpg

EDIT: image from Pinterest.

Edited by Uncle George

If not the Beaver, might it be "The Tiger" (Clemenceau)?

8 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Oui! I did think post #6657 was a complete giveaway!

It would have been had I not got sidetracked by trying to remember Tigger's song. Or  had a capacity for deductive thought. Or thought of any kind really. How interesting.

Pete.

It was more a case of backward thinking in my case. I thought of Lanzerac or Clemenceau first, and then noticed the tiger picture afterwards. From the little I know, it's a good description of the image I have of him. 

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

It was more a case of backward thinking in my case. I thought of Lanzerac or Clemenceau first, and then noticed the tiger picture afterwards. From the little I know, it's a good description of the image I have of him. 

I have I think posted on this thread Spears' description of him: " ... the toughest, the hardest, and perhaps the most cruel man I have ever met."

(Spears was recalling Clemenceau sobbing when, having ordered troops "that they must not under any circumstances fall back. They were to hold out and be killed where they stood", was presented by them with a bouquet of wild flowers.)

Quote from 'Assignment to Catastrophe' (1954).

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I have I think posted on this thread Spears' description of him: " ... the toughest, the hardest, and perhaps the most cruel man I have ever met."

(Spears was recalling Clemenceau sobbing when, having ordered troops "that they must not under any circumstances fall back. They were to hold out and be killed where they stood", was presented by them with a bouquet of wild flowers.)

Quote from 'Assignment to Catastrophe' (1954).

Powerful stuff U.G.

3 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Powerful stuff U.G.

Spears was a marvellous writer: " ... a bouquet of such wild flowers as grow on the parapets of trenches ... "

And with the last A Level history paper being sat tomorrow at 0930 there is officially nothing more I can do for my students so I can with relief and a clear conscience log into my favourite web site and its best thread. And to celebrate the regaining of my freedom for another year, here's another marvellous writer,

"We have engrossed to ourselves, in a time when other powerful nations were paralysed by barbarism or internal war, an altogether disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world. We have got all we want in territory, and our claim to be left in the unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, mainly acquired by violence, largely maintained by force, often seems less reasonable to others than to us."

Who wrote this devastatingly honest appraisal on the eve of the Great War, having noted the surprise which certain politicians seemed to express when they found out that most people outside of Britain couldn't stand us?

David

7 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

H.G. Wells?

Another marvellous writer but not my man this time UG

13 hours ago, CGM said:

Not so. Embroidery was a very common occupation at that time, for all ranks.

See here.

The fact that he chose to mostly offer places to wounded officers is just indicative of the times, I feel.

I stand corrected on tathat- but I must plead that Ernie Thesiger's outlook was at the distinctly outre end of the market.

42 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

And with the last A Level history paper being sat tomorrow at 0930 there is officially nothing more I can do for my students so I can with relief and a clear conscience log into my favourite web site and its best thread. And to celebrate the regaining of my freedom for another year, here's another marvellous writer,

"We have engrossed to ourselves, in a time when other powerful nations were paralysed by barbarism or internal war, an altogether disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world. We have got all we want in territory, and our claim to be left in the unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, mainly acquired by violence, largely maintained by force, often seems less reasonable to others than to us."

Who wrote this devastatingly honest appraisal on the eve of the Great War, having noted the surprise which certain politicians seemed to express when they found out that most people outside of Britain couldn't stand us?

David

Winston

1 hour ago, David Ridgus said:

And with the last A Level history paper being sat tomorrow at 0930 there is officially nothing more I can do for my students so I can with relief and a clear conscience log into my favourite web site and its best thread.

Good to have you back matey.

Pete.

Right, while everyone is cogitating on David's quote, who's this then?

594300157cb7a_Platesofmeat.jpg.571c316984188aea10adbc1bdc33a826.jpg

1 hour ago, Fattyowls said:

594300157cb7a_Platesofmeat.jpg.571c316984188aea10adbc1bdc33a826.jpg

No idea-but Sir Harry Lauder would like it back. Has the rest of this person been roamin in the gloamin?

Oh, alright then-it's Basil Rathbone MC wearing the uniform of the London Scottish

Edited by Guest

No idea-but Sir Harry Lauder would like it back. Has the rest of this person been roamin in the gloamin?

Oh, alright then-it's Basil Rathbone MC wearing the uniform of the London Scottish

I was inspired by the beginnings of a Sherlock Holmes theme. I had a whole series of clues lined up; all now wasted, why do I bother?

Absolutely correct GUEST; although the tartan may be London Scottish he served with the 2/10th (Scottish) King's Liverpool, in the same division as my maternal grandfather.

Pete.

Photo from sistercelluloid.com

On 15/06/2017 at 22:47, Fattyowls said:

I thought GUEST just got it with Winston? (S C, that is.)

On 16/06/2017 at 00:17, Fattyowls said:

I was inspired by the beginnings of a Sherlock Holmes theme. I had a whole series of clues lined up; all now wasted, why do I bother?

Absolutely correct GUEST; although the tartan may be London Scottish he served with the 2/10th (Scottish) King's Liverpool, in the same division as my maternal grandfather.

Pete.

Photo from sistercelluloid.com

I must confess that ,by an error of memory (Wholly unconnected with  a bottle of mixed fruit cider earlier), it is the Liverpool Scottish kit- the pic. of  BR from which his legs had been amputated is of him as an officer- I'm not sure he was ever an officer in 14th Londons. Apologies-before Mr. Broomfield wades in

Now then- Mice/Mouses/Mees away from the pic. Who is this Colonel?  This chap served in the Great War. There is a Sherlockian connection. Who is he and what is the connection?

Image result for Cedric Hardwicke

Nigel Bruce who played Watson?

Having lived in Stourbridge for 20 years that's an easy one for me, so I will leave it for others to answer.

John

ps will send a pm to prove I do know him

Brigadier General Sir Francis Cromarty, Indian Army - but I don't know the Stourbridge or Holmes links.