The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

2 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

Brigadier General Sir Francis Cromarty, Indian Army - but I don't know the Stourbridge or Holmes links.

Jeremy Brett?

I think it's Cedric Hardwicke, whose son Edward played Sherlock in television adaptations.

Ron

17 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

And with the last A Level history paper being sat tomorrow at 0930 there is officially nothing more I can do for my students so I can with relief and a clear conscience log into my favourite web site and its best thread. And to celebrate the regaining of my freedom for another year, here's another marvellous writer,

"We have engrossed to ourselves, in a time when other powerful nations were paralysed by barbarism or internal war, an altogether disproportionate share of the wealth and traffic of the world. We have got all we want in territory, and our claim to be left in the unmolested enjoyment of vast and splendid possessions, mainly acquired by violence, largely maintained by force, often seems less reasonable to others than to us."

Who wrote this devastatingly honest appraisal on the eve of the Great War, having noted the surprise which certain politicians seemed to express when they found out that most people outside of Britain couldn't stand us?

David

Great to see you back David. 

Your piece sounds a bit Churchillian to me?

4 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think it's Cedric Hardwicke, whose son Edward played Sherlock in television adaptations.

Ron

And he played Brigadier General Sir Francis Cromarty, Indian Army in Around the World in 80 Days - the picture is of him in that role.

And this chap? He died in October 1918:

EDIT: image from fascinatingfactsofww1.blogspot.co.uk

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

On 16/06/2017 at 14:52, neverforget said:

Great to see you back David. 

Your piece sounds a bit Churchillian to me?

Thanks nf. Apologies for the delay in replying folks. Yes as GUEST said yesterday, seaJane confirmed and now nf has speculated, the acknowledgement that there might be something understandable about the rest of the world's dislike of Perfidious Albion was indeed by Churchill.

David

PS Unfortunately the A Level paper on the Cold War was a stinker

6 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Ron

Hardwicke played Watson to Brett's Sherlock. In my opinion one of the best portrayals because he was not in the least the bumbling dimwit of too many adaptations

10 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

Brigadier General Sir Francis Cromarty, Indian Army - but I don't know the Stourbridge or Holmes links.

Phil,  sorry about delayed reply, the Stourbridge connection was that he was born in Lye, about a couple of miles away, there is a Blue Plaque on the library close to where he was born.

3 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

Unfortunately the A Level paper on the Cold War was a stinker

Do you suspect state sponsored hacking? Were the questions suspiciously favourable to the old USSR?

Interesting words from WSC, I always took him to be the arch imperialist so such realistic words surprised me when M. V suggested Winston. I assumed WSC as opposed to Winston Smith or J Winston Lennon. Contrition also to sJ for doubting the answer. It because I haven't got the Latin.......

Pete.

A little pre-war, but picking up the "perfidious Albion" point, who are the speakers here, and on what occasion?

"I don't think the French like us very much, sir."

"No reason why they should."

Ron

6 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Do you suspect state sponsored hacking? Were the questions suspiciously favourable to the old USSR?

Interesting words from WSC, I always took him to be the arch imperialist so such realistic words surprised me when M. V suggested Winston. I assumed WSC as opposed to Winston Smith or J Winston Lennon. Contrition also to sJ for doubting the answer. It because I haven't got the Latin.......

Pete.

Yes that was one of the reasons the quote appealed to me (along with its typical Chuchillian flow). Doesn't quite fit with the 'I didn't become His Majesty's first minister to oversee the dissolution of his Empire' Churchill of later years

David

PS Funnily enough the new Cold War spec does have an extraordinary pro Soviet slant, we've all been commenting on it all year. Essentially according to AQA the Cold War was all America's fault and thank goodness the Soviet Union and Mikhail Gorbachev were around to sort it out.

.....................but I must plead that Ernie Thesiger's outlook was at the distinctly outre end of the market.

Something of which I was not aware.....

CGM

2 hours ago, Stoppage Drill said:

On behalf of bumbling dimwits every where, I would like .    

What was I sayin' ?

As if. Bumbling idiots don't like zydeco as any fule kno.

32 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

PS Funnily enough the new Cold War spec does have an extraordinary pro Soviet slant, we've all been commenting on it all year. Essentially according to AQA the Cold War was all America's fault and thank goodness the Soviet Union and Mikhail Gorbachev were around to sort it out.

That's quite spooky in the current circumstances.......

And since this is a photographic identification thread; who is this?

Jaunty.jpg.05a41a115d40497375aa1af843e62ee8.jpg

19 minutes ago, CGM said:

Something of which I was not aware.....

CGM

Have a look at the Oxford DNB entry for him (Free with your local library card number). Odd that he is in ODND but Clive Brook is not.

50 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

es that was one of the reasons the quote appealed to me (along with its typical Chuchillian flow). Doesn't quite fit with the 'I didn't become His Majesty's first minister to oversee the dissolution of his Empire' Churchill of later years

David

DR- If you have not read it, then Paul Addison's biography of WSC is a treat for inconoclasm and out-of-place quotes against the conventional view of him. It is an expanded version of the ODNB entry-but Addison really puts the boot in with some well-chosen facts and words

12 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Hang on!!  We're still stuck on the last one- don't confuse us with limited brains

Hang on!!  We're still stuck on the last one- don't confuse us with limited brains

Sorry, I'd forgotten UG's chap. But as for the limited brain excuse, pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Pete.

11 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Sorry, I'd forgotten UG's chap. But as for the limited brain excuse, pull the other one, it's got bells on.

Pete.

Fair cop- the words "Friday evening"  "alcohol" and "imbibe" should be substituted forthwith

OK, let's add to the stockpile:

In a week when our current stock of politicians seem to have ,er, lost a bit more public esteem-here is a former MP, pictured later in life. An erstwhile MP, he achieved a first in 1958 and he was truly happy with a portion of chips. Served as a junior officer in the Great War.

A man I respect immensely.

Image result for Ian Fraser, Baron Fraser of Lonsdale

52 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Of course, Claude Rains- the face filled out a little -Odd to see him in a uniform other than that of a French policeman.

Like Herbert Marshall, Ronald Colman and Basil Rathbone, a "metrojock"-  served with 14th Londons-London Scottish

6686 is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's son, another Arthur, aka Kingsley.

11 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

A little pre-war, but picking up the "perfidious Albion" point, who are the speakers here, and on what occasion?

"I don't think the French like us very much, sir."

"No reason why they should."

Ron

Kitchener and Smith-Dorrien? Fashoda?

8 hours ago, seaJane said:

6686 is Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's son, another Arthur, aka Kingsley.

Yes. He was wounded on the Somme in 1916, and died of the flu in 1918.

OK, let's add to the stockpile:

In a week when our current stock of politicians seem to have ,er, lost a bit more public esteem-here is a former MP, pictured later in life. An erstwhile MP, he achieved a first in 1958 and he was truly happy with a portion of chips. Served as a junior officer in the Great War.

A man I respect immensely.

http://www.thepeerage.com/191277_001.jpg

Is this Ian Fraser? He was blinded during the GW, and was the first Life Peer.

The one that doesn't seem to have been identified yet is Claude Rains.