The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

38 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Ian Fraser? He was blinded during the GW, and was the first Life Peer.

Very much so. As you say, the first Life Peer - though the appointment of Boothby soon devalued that honour.  And the reference to chips?????

19 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Who is this man about town ? ? ?

image.jpg

Alas, "man about town" made it too easy- Chips Channon. Interesting Great War career-American Red Cross and Embassy in Paris- the ODNB quote on Mr. William Ikipedia's device is the best- "adoring London society, privilege, rank, and wealth, he became an energetic, implacable, but endearing social climber.

Alas, "man about town" made it too easy- Chips Channon. Interesting Great War career-American Red Cross and Embassy in Paris- the ODNB quote on Mr. William Ikipedia's device is the best- "adoring London society, privilege, rank, and wealth, he became an energetic, implacable, but endearing social climber.

Yes, 'Chips' Channon himself. As you say, he was with the American Red Cross in France during the GW. His self-portrait:

"Sometimes I think I have an unusual character – able but trivial; I have flair, intuition, great good taste but only second rate ambition: I am far too susceptible to flattery; I hate and am uninterested in all the things most men like such as sports, business, statistics, debates, speeches, war, and the weather; but I am riveted by lust, furniture, glamour and society and jewels. I am an excellent organiser and have a will of iron; I can only be appealed to through my vanity. Occasionally I must have solitude: my soul craves for it. All thought is done in solitude; only then am I partly happy."

image and quote from 'The Esoteric Curiosa'.

And the reference to chips?????

I learn  that 'Chips' was the nickname of his wife, Irene Mace.

22 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

I learn  that 'Chips' was the nickname of his wife, Irene Mace.

Exactly so-she was the nurse who gave the news that he was blinded -after being wounded on the Somme?

3 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Kitchener and Smith-Dorrien? Fashoda?

No - though one of them was a field marshal.

Ron

20 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

No - though one of them was a field marshal.

Ron

Sir Edward Grey and the King during the Agadir carryon?

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Ian Fraser? He was blinded during the GW, and was the first Life Peer.

I never fail to be amazed at this thread's ability to continue to highlight the extraordinary stories of that incredible generation. To my shame I had never heard of Ian Fraser, but half an hour of rooting around the extensive library means I won't lightly forget him in the future

David

John French and Louis Spears????

No.

On 17/06/2017 at 13:27, Uncle George said:

Sir Edward Grey and the King during the Agadir carryon?

No - but you are getting warm. A bit earlier still.

Ron

1 minute ago, Ron Clifton said:

No.

No - but you are getting warm. A bit earlier still.

Ron

Raglan and Cardigan?

(You will know that Raglan would refer to the enemy as 'the French', even during the Crimea, when this was really not the thing!)

A lot colder, I'm afraid.

Ron

21 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

A lot colder, I'm afraid.

Ron

Lord Lansdowne and Edward VII at the time of his celebrated visit to Paris?

2 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

... the extraordinary stories of that incredible generation ...

We once had a theme, the WGGGGW - the wives and girlfriends of the great and good of the Great War. 

Who might this be ? ?  ?

image.jpg

EDIT: image from Wikipedia.

Edited by Uncle George

39 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Lord Lansdowne and Edward VII at the time of his celebrated visit to Paris?

Yes - the visit in 1903. They arrived at the railway terminus (presumably Gare du Nord) to a rather hostile crowd. 

Edward VII and the Entente Cordiale 
by Ian Dunlop 

"The cabinet was against this trip [to Paris in 1903], thinking that public reaction in the French capital would be too negative, but Edward insisted. He was right: Ian Dunlop reports how, almost overnight, the French crowds changed from sullen spectators with the occasional "Vive les Boers" to enthusiastic fans shouting "Vive notre roi". Even republicans, it seemed, were suckers for a monarch."

(Review from The Guardian)

Note that the French did not say "Vive le roi" but "Vive notre roi."

Ron

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

We once had a theme, the WGGGGW - the wives and girlfriends of the great and good of the Great War. 

Who might this be ? ?  ?

image.jpg

Frances Stevenson ?

43 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Frances Stevenson ?

No. My Lady worked as a midwife in the East End of London, for the Red Cross in France during the GW, and became a Viscountess in 1940.

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Yes - the visit in 1903. They arrived at the railway terminus (presumably Gare du Nord) to a rather hostile crowd. 

Edward VII and the Entente Cordiale 
by Ian Dunlop 

"The cabinet was against this trip [to Paris in 1903], thinking that public reaction in the French capital would be too negative, but Edward insisted. He was right: Ian Dunlop reports how, almost overnight, the French crowds changed from sullen spectators with the occasional "Vive les Boers" to enthusiastic fans shouting "Vive notre roi". Even republicans, it seemed, were suckers for a monarch."

(Review from The Guardian)

Note that the French did not say "Vive le roi" but "Vive notre roi."

Ron

The credit for the 'overnight' change is attributed to the King's encounter with a French actress (how very Edward!). Spotting her in the crowd of his theatre visit, he went up to her and said, 'oh, Mademoiselle, I remember how I applauded you in London. You personified there all the grace and spirit of France'. That and a bit of smiling and French flag saluting the next day did the trick, and the Entente Cordiale was as good as signed. (Perhaps if President Trump says some nice things about Maggie Smith we'll all be cheering 'Good old Donald' by the end of his state visit. Hmm, then again perhaps not)

David

Edited by David Ridgus

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Who might this be ? ?  ?

image.jpg

The intriguing  Kathleen Simon-  Irish-born, moved to the States with her first husband. Governess to Sir John Simon's kids after he was widowed.  Midwife in the East End.  (Well, I live in East London-J.A.Simon was MP for Walthamstow)   Almost unknown nowadays-all attention on doughty women reformers during the war in th east of London seems to focu on Sylvia Pankhurst and  "Dreadnought"(No, not the ship)

On 17/06/2017 at 19:01, Uncle George said:

No. My Lady worked as a midwife in the East End of London, for the Red Cross in France during the GW, and became a Viscountess in 1940.

I'm presuming GUEST is correct UG, but another lady who almost fitted the bill was Angela Pery, Countess Limerick who was another force of nature. Worth a look in the extended library

David

The intriguing  Kathleen Simon-  Irish-born, moved to the States with her first husband. Governess to Sir John Simon's kids after he was widowed.  Midwife in the East End.  (Well, I live in East London-J.A.Simon was MP for Walthamstow)   Almost unknown nowadays-all attention on doughty women reformers during the war in th east of London seems to focu on Sylvia Pankhurst and  "Dreadnought"(No, not the ship)

Yes. Her Wikipedia page reveals the scope of her qualities and achievements:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kathleen_Simon,_Viscountess_Simon

On 17/06/2017 at 21:19, David Ridgus said:

I'm presuming GUEST is correct UG, but another lady who almost fitted the bill was Angela Pery, Countess Limerick who was another force of nature. Worth a look in the extended library

David

I'd not heard of her. Thanks for the information. These stories are simply humbling.

45 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

... another lady who almost fitted the bill was Angela Pery, Countess Limerick ...

The pedant would point out that she was not a WGGGGW. Luckily, we are none of us pedantic.

•  Let's try this chap-  his pre-war achievements (116 of them)  were matched by exactly the same spirit and activity in the Trenches- for which he won both MC and VC. An easy one but let us remember the man- a man of spirit and courage in both peace and war.
  • Jack Harrison VC.jpg

38 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

The pedant would point out that she was not a WGGGGW. Luckily, we are none of us pedantic.

Yes that is lucky ??