The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Trains, planes and automobiles were all in my man`s field. Planes is the WW1 connection though.

One of his patents was used in the business of espionage/secret agents, but was rejected for use by the military on "morale" grounds.

One more to keep us going. Not a V.C. winner, but a small award might be in order for the `tosh

Inventor. Engineer. attachicon.gifju.jpg

Is he the splendidly named Everard Calthrop?

David

Is he the splendidly named Everard Calthrop?

David

He is indeed, David. Great spot.

A real railway expert, but also patented amongst other things, an ejector seat for planes in 1916, and of course, his "Guardian Angel" parachute, which was used to drop agents behind enemy lines, but for our brave pilots, it was controversially rejected as we know.

Forgive me for cramming them in, but I live in a world of four days on, and then four days off, so I`m looking for value for money on my days off..

I think you may find this chap quite interesting. Dabbled in the arts.

post-95959-0-34484400-1408447266_thumb.j

quite interesting.

attachicon.gifuio.jpg

Is this a clue nf? If so is this chap called Stephen Fry or Alan Davies?!

David

I`m amazed we haven`t had this sportsman, but a search didn`t bring him up, so..;.

Who is this???attachicon.gifjut.jpg

Good one NF. I actually put Donny Bell Up from my cigarette coupon collection very early on in the first thread. They got him very quickly..

Eddie

Is this a clue nf? If so is this chap called Stephen Fry or Alan Davies?!

David

I wasn`t being cryptic on this occasion. Yet!!

A possibly Danielesque clue is that he was related by marriage to the Duke of Wellington.

A pilot in WW1, achieving Flight Commander. He is best known as a war artist of the second unpleasantness.

Good one NF. I actually put Donny Bell Up from my cigarette coupon collection very early on in the first thread. They got him very quickly..

Eddie

Strange...Not disputing you of course, and I`m quite sure that you posted him, but I did a search and only Gertrude Bell came up.(Another one of yours would you believe)

Still, two mentions are better than none I reckon for the first footballer to enlist. :thumbsup:

I wasn`t being cryptic on this occasion. Yet!!

A possibly Danielesque clue is that he was related by marriage to the Duke of Wellington.

A pilot in WW1, achieving Flight Commander. He is best known as a war artist of the second unpleasantness.

I think it's Cuthbert Orde. He married Lady Eileen Wellesley and is famous for his portraits of Battle of Britain pilots - Douglas Bader is one of them.

Strange...Not disputing you of course, and I`m quite sure that you posted him, but I did a search and only Gertrude Bell came up.(Another one of yours would you believe)

Still, two mentions are better than none I reckon for the first footballer to enlist. :thumbsup:

WIT number 137 Donald Bell, posted by Eddie solved by Steve Marsdin

David

I think it's Cuthbert Orde. He married Lady Eileen Wellesley and is famous for his portraits of Battle of Britain pilots - Douglas Bader is one of them.

You've nailed it helpjpl, a very good spot. I love Orde's paintings but have never found any of Great War related folk to post.

Here's two folk who will take only a split second to be identified if Pete or Mr Broomfield are on the thread. But the one on the right is just another of those that I just had to post as can't believe I didn't know he had served. The one on the left, on the contrary, quite famously didn't join up.

post-66715-0-27925300-1408463650_thumb.j

David

You've nailed it helpjpl, a very good spot. I love Orde's paintings but have never found any of Great War related folk to post.

Here's two folk who will take only a split second to be identified if Pete or Mr Broomfield are on the thread. But the one on the right is just another of those that I just had to post as can't believe I didn't know he had served. The one on the left, on the contrary, quite famously didn't join up.

attachicon.gifdri 252.jpg

David

Am I banned from this one or can I have a go? Edit: I'll leave it for bit to let everyone else have a try; they are two giants (one literally but both metaphorically) and well worth identifying.

Pete.

My most recent post seems to have been abducted by aliens so, the bones of it was: Yes helpjpl was of course correct about Cuthbert Orde, so congratulations to her for working that one out, and I`m afraid David`s cricketers have got me stumped for now. (That was so corny I almost couldn`t bring myself to say it.) Thought I knew one of them through the clue, but turned out to be someone else. Oh well, it`s the thrill of the chase and all that.

I assume the one on the left is The Big Ship; the other is a guess: Herbie Collins?

I assume the one on the left is The Big Ship; the other is a guess: Herbie Collins?

The Big Ship indeed Steven but the other fellow is slightly less craggy and infinitely more talented than the redoubtable Collins.

David

PS Feel free to intervene Pete

Jack Gregory?

Jack Gregory?

Afraid not. If Gregory was very much a bowler who batted, my chap was a batsman who bowled.

David

Monty Noble?

Monty Noble?

No, Mary Ann had retired before the war. This picture is from 1921

Warren Bardlsey?

It is the truly great but the sadly overlooked Charlie McCartney. He is rather overshadowed before the Great War by his friend Victor Trumper and after the war by Donald Bradman, but he was a truly great batsman and no mean bowler. He started his career as a bowling all rounder but after the war made himself into possibly the most devastating batsman of his era. His 345 against Nottinghamshire remains the highest score in one day in this country. Not bad for a man who only stood 5' 3"; Bradman always said that it was seeing McCartney that inspired him. I'd love to see Warwick Armstrong and Charlie McCartney standing together, he'd definitely be overlooked by the Big Ship (who was 6' 3" and 21 stones). As David said Armstrong didn't volunteer but McCartney did and rose to Warrant Officer in the AIF 3rd Division artillery.

Pete.

Thanks, both for that. I`m not really a cricket buff, but that was an interesting couple of hours chasing the little fella. And from nowhere, I was getting closer I think. It would seem that by all accounts we took a bit of a spanking on that occasion.

I`ll slide another one in before bedtime. (Not a cryptic clue :) )

Once again, the first to do what???post-95959-0-55486600-1408489145_thumb.j

And of course, Who is he???

It is the truly great but the sadly overlooked Charlie McCartney. He is rather overshadowed before the Great War by his friend Victor Trumper and after the war by Donald Bradman, but he was a truly great batsman and no mean bowler. He started his career as a bowling all rounder but after the war made himself into possibly the most devastating batsman of his era. His 345 against Nottinghamshire remains the highest score in one day in this country. Not bad for a man who only stood 5' 3"; Bradman always said that it was seeing McCartney that inspired him. I'd love to see Warwick Armstrong and Charlie McCartney standing together, he'd definitely be overlooked by the Big Ship (who was 6' 3" and 21 stones). As David said Armstrong didn't volunteer but McCartney did and rose to Warrant Officer in the AIF 3rd Division artillery.

Pete.

A perfect answer Pete. It was the TMS interview that got me searching out about Macartney. What surprised me was that he missed the whole of the 1924/25 series because of 'illness' and that this is now put down to his wartime experiences. I will be posting another Aussie veteran tomorrow. Again it is someone who I have known about for years but until last week had not the foggiest idea that he had been in the war. The discovery also throws an interesting new light on the incident for which he is chiefly referred to.

David