The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

•  
  • Let's try this chap-  his pre-war achievements (116 of them)  were matched by exactly the same spirit and activity in the Trenches- for which he won both MC and VC. An easy one but let us remember the man- a man of spirit and courage in both peace and war.
  • Jack Harrison VC.jpg

The legendary (overused term but not in this case) Jack Harrison

David

On reflection perhaps it's also worth remembering Lillian Harrison, Jack's wife. Widowed in 1917 with a young son , she suffers the further loss of that son, killed at Dunkirk. She lived until 1977.

David

Spot on- the citations for both MC and VC show the same spirit as an officer in the army as on the rugby pitch- press forward in spite of all dangers. Just had a little bit of good luck re. Quins war memorial-and some useful information re. a lcoal casualty (Lt. S.E.Dove, RWK. kia 18th August 1916 on the Somme)  Of course, Quins had Ronnie Poulton Palmer but Jack Harrison shows that Rugby League was not always a working class game.

Glad you picked up on Fraser-  as a former History teacher myself, I like to get away from the stereotypes about the Great War- Somme, trenches, all mown down,etc.  This thread brings out the individuality of those involved-and despite 6732 posts, we have not even begun to scratch the range of individuality and achievements of those involved in the Great War. I try to stand by the principles of a famous quote in my everyday life (Don't always succeed)-which applies to every individual put up on this thread

"The poorest he that is in England hath a life to lead as the greatest he"

(As a History teacher , I will leave you to identify the speaker and the circumstances)

"The poorest he that is in England hath a life to lead as the greatest he"

Well it can't have been WSC. He would never have produced such a convoluted sentence!

It wasn't Alfred Austin, by any chance?

Ron

On 17/06/2017 at 22:07, Uncle George said:

The pedant would point out that she was not a WGGGGW. Luckily, we are none of us pedantic.

On 17/06/2017 at 22:46, David Ridgus said:

Yes that is lucky ??

Perhaps not pedantic but factually fastidious perhaps.....

Can I also apologise for not confirming that my last picture post was indeed Claude Rains; I've been out visiting the 18th century lock up for drunks that features on my football team's crest (make of that what you will). The wholly admirable Friends of Everton Park opened it up today as part of the Jo Cox remembrance events in the park over this weekend.

The photo of Claude Rains comes from an article in the rather good old movie site sistercelluloid.com

There is a link within the foregoing to this man:

Selfless.jpg.1cb56ebff6ce971c23fcc9991f348606.jpg

Pete.

P.S. Sorry to overlap your quote question GUEST, I've been logging the source of the pic.

10 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Well it can't have been WSC. He would never have produced such a convoluted sentence!

It wasn't Alfred Austin, by any chance?

Ron

Ron- Thankfully, No-  Despite being Poet Laureate, I doubt if  Austin could string enough words together coherently to order a curry of a Friday  night-the worst PL since Henry Pye.  No, my man is much earlier-the language was not convoluted by the standards of his time. Think Putmey

12 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Can I also apologise for not confirming that my last picture post was indeed Claude Rains; I've been out visiting the 18th century lock up for drunks that features on my football team's crest (make of that what you will). The wholly admirable Friends of Everton Park opened it up today as part of the Jo Cox remembrance events in the park over this weekend.

The photo of Claude Rains comes from an article in the rather good old movie site sistercelluloid.com

Pete.

P.S. Sorry to overlap your quote question M. Voltaire, I've been logging the source of the pic.

No problem Pete-  Jo Cox would have known the quote instantly-  Hope you had a good day. 

Is the quote Gerard Winstanley?

Pete.

10 minutes ago, Fattyowls said:

Is the quote Gerard Winstanley?

Pete.

No-but very,very close.  There were 2 men with the same surname who could have sai this-the right one was a Colonel. Nothing to do with the Great War-just my views about highlighting some of the personalities involved, small or great

This thread brings out the individuality of those involved-and despite 6732 posts, 

Not to mention the 8241 posts of its predecessor 'Who is this?'. We are just 23 posts away from 15000 overall, and as you say still many more stories to tell.

This thread's op Mr Drill was dubbed by Pete and me as Lord Protector and I am sure would have recognised your quote as from the Putney Debates of 1647. I can never remember how to spell the chap's name but he was Colonel Rainsborough (?) and represented the Levellers.

David

22 minutes ago, David Ridgus said:

Not to mention the 8241 posts of its predecessor 'Who is this?'. We are just 23 posts away from 15000 overall, and as you say still many more stories to tell.

This thread's op Mr Drill was dubbed by Pete and me as Lord Protector and I am sure would have recognised your quote as from the Putney Debates of 1647. I can never remember how to spell the chap's name but he was Colonel Rainsborough (?) and represented the Levellers.

David

Exactly so-  Can't remember exactly where I picked up the quote-from the Clarke Papers or Woodhouse::Puritanism and Liberty. It's a quote I like to have in mind when someone is p@ssin@ me off in everyday life. And good to remember when going through the lives of local casualties when there is not that much to find out.

Just to go back to the completely admirable Harrison, here is that terrible dark wood: the rise to the left of the picture is the Vimy ridge and just to the left of the edge of the wood one of the Loos slag heaps now on top of the double crassier feature is just visible. The  water tower marks the edge of Oppy village.

5945b2d74c609_OppyWoodpanoramic.jpg.9e069953c3c2a1389810c3f14ba72d63.jpg

10 hours ago, David Ridgus said:

Well, I checked this thread to find this chap, ignorant of the previous thread - so with apologies if he has been featured before - who is this:

WIT01.jpg

10 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

'Overscrupulous'. This would be a good word for one who would contrast 'pedantic' and 'factually fastidious'. ; )

Edited by Uncle George

would have recognised your quote as from the Putney Debates of 1647.

David

Indeed. 

Grand words.

And for the record, I rather like Alfred Austin's 'Jameson's Ride.'

David can we hope for an update to your Sisyphean magnum opus: the Spreadsheet?

29 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Indeed. 

Grand words.

And for the record, I rather like Alfred Austin's 'Jameson's Ride.'

Well, that brings the number of known fans of Alfred Austin up to 2- yourself and Lord Salisbury who put him up for Poet Laureate.

Well, that brings the number of known fans of Alfred Austin up to 2- yourself and Lord Salisbury who put him up for Poet Laureate.

Nice to feel wanted.

12 hours ago, Fattyowls said:

Pete.

P.S. Sorry to overlap your quote question M. Voltaire, I've been logging the source of the pic.

Is this Melville Cooper? Fellow baddy in that marvellous film 'The Adventures of Robin Hood'. (Rains was Prince John, Cooper the Sheriff of Nottingham. Basil Rathbone of course was Guy of Gisbourne.) 

Cooper served in France during the GW; he became a PoW.

But let's continue a recent theme-  This chap served In France, British Army, under-age in the Great War  (Looks like Peter Hain for some reason- the next best pic. of him made him a clone of Hugh Gaitskell).  His fame rests largely on shedding clothes..... But when you get him, you will understand where and when.

Image result for ian hunter actor

But let's continue a recent theme-  This chap served In France, British Army, under-age in the Great War  (Looks like Peter Hain for some reason- the next best pic. of him made him a clone of Hugh Gaitskell).  His fame rests largely on shedding clothes..... But when you get him, you will understand where and when.

Image result for ian hunter actor

Peter Hain would have been on a boat to anywhere in South America, and made speeches about he hadn't joined the amry so he could make speeches supporting it.

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Melville Cooper? Fellow baddy in that marvellous film 'The Adventures of Robin Hood'. (Rains was Prince John, Cooper the Sheriff of Nottingham. Basil Rathbone of course was Guy of Gisbourne.) 

Cooper served in France during the GW; he became a PoW.

Not Melville Cooper, the clue is not so much the foregoing threads as in my description of where I was yesterday. My man fell five and a half miles due south of where Jack Harrison was killed sixteen days later.

Now I come to think of it Meville Cooper as the Sherriff of Nottingham was more in keeping with my idea of the social pecking order in Robin Hood, I always thought the Sherriff would kowtow to Guy of Gisbourne. We can add Cooper to the band of expat Brits in Hollywood who had experience of the trenches, they keep cropping up in WiT?

Pete.

3 hours ago, Phil Wood said:

Well, I checked this thread to find this chap, ignorant of the previous thread - so with apologies if he has been featured before - who is this:

WIT01.jpg

Phil, is your man a minor royal? House of Sachen-Coburg und Gotha by any chance? There is something about his face that reminds me of Prince Maurice of Battenburg. However it may be that the words barking, tree, wrong and up could well be rearranged to make a relevant sentence.

Pete.

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

David can we hope for an update to your Sisyphean magnum opus: the Spreadsheet?

Well I hope to give it a go during the holidays, but I am a daunting distance behind. Sisyphean indeed!

David

5 hours ago, healdav said:

Peter Hain would have been on a boat to anywhere in South America, and made speeches about he hadn't joined the amry so he could make speeches supporting it.

Well, we now know who's not on your CXXXXXXXX  card list-  Actually, Hain and this chap shared a coincidence of geography. And as well as casting off clothing he was known  for his trio of leopards.

Edited by Guest
spelinng