The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

6 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

The white beard and ferocious eyelashes suggests that it is John Burns. Had been in prison, was a PC-though the cartoon may not be contemporaneous with his elevation 

Yes, you are right. Image from archive.org. Tale from John Simon's 'Retrospect' (1952).

Another chap long overdue his place on WIT. 

A bit grainy but not a difficult one:

13a91b6f06e580702362a122ec81ee36.jpg.45d5ce50664c4861d9bc107d0dc934ab.jpg

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Another chap long overdue his place on WIT. 

A bit grainy but not a difficult one:

13a91b6f06e580702362a122ec81ee36.jpg.45d5ce50664c4861d9bc107d0dc934ab.jpg

Is this Randolph Scott?

Edited by Uncle George

30 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Randolph Scott?

Not he Uncle. 

Survived being gassed, and went on to a "Major" role in WW2.

"Unknown soldier"? Hardly!

Edited by neverforget

He is one of the three outstanding soldiers of the A.E.F. selected by General Pershing to form part of the pallbearer Honour guard for the internment of the American unknown warrior, Sgt York and Colonel Whitlesey of the "Lost Battalion" were the other more well known soldiers, but this is Samuel Woodfill, here is an account of his record https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Woodfill.

A very brave soldier indeed.

John

8 minutes ago, Knotty said:

He is one of the three outstanding soldiers of the A.E.F. selected by General Pershing to form part of the pallbearer Honour guard for the internment of the American unknown warrior, Sgt York and Colonel Whitlesey of the "Lost Battalion" were the other more well known soldiers, but this is Samuel Woodfill, here is an account of his record https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samuel_Woodfill.

A very brave soldier indeed.

John

Correct. America's most decorated soldier. A soldier of such high profile that it was difficult to find clues that wouldn't immediately identify him.

http://www.worldwar1.com/dbc/woodfill.htm

Picture taken from Pinterest.

OK- a little more difficult-but not JPEG,so "scout's honour" with the mouse, chaps. Our man was Australian but held an important job throughout the war- although very rarely mentioned. His only appearances on GWF are about whether he could write properly. A grey man- name doesn't really come up in the war memoirs-and he is not in Oxford DNB. In one sense, Lord Kitchener's bag carrier.

Image result for sir reginald brade

19 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

OK- a little more difficult-but not JPEG,so "scout's honour" with the mouse, chaps. Our man was Australian but held an important job throughout the war- although very rarely mentioned. His only appearances on GWF are about whether he could write properly. A grey man- name doesn't really come up in the war memoirs-and he is not in Oxford DNB. In one sense, Lord Kitchener's bag carrier.

Image result for sir reginald brade

Is this Dallas Brooks? He was later involved in the Hess carryon, became Governor of Victoria, and, as it happens, has a close-ish family connection to me.

9 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Dallas Brooks? He was later involved in the Hess carryon, became Governor of Victoria, and, as it happens, has a close-ish family connection to me.

Alas, No- My man is so grey, that there is little to relate about him. He was born in Oz but not notably connected with it thereafter. My man ought to be better remembered because of his job during the war. My chap held no military rank, though was much involved with the DSO

I will call it a day with this chap-he is so grey that he has merged into the wallpaper of history-Sir Reginald Brade-  Permanent Under Secretary at the War Office,1914-1920- must have had talents to stay the course but a complete unknown. What did he do ?

21 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

he is so grey that he has merged into the wallpaper of history

Perhaps the quintessential civil servant then? Entered as a clerk and continued upward

Did?

Examined by the War Policy Committee (Aug 1915) regarding how to conduct affairs in 1916.

Suggested by Bonar Law as someone to consult (together with Callwell) re sending WSC to run East African campaign

Sent Dardanelles Commission documents to Callwell for comments on what could & could not be published

my info runs out in 1916 – be interested to learn what else he had a hand in later

On 04/07/2017 at 22:31, voltaire60 said:

Sir Reginald Brade-  Permanent Under Secretary at the War Office,1914-1920- must have had talents to stay the course but a complete unknown. What did he do ?

Amongst other things, he would appear to have been involved in the turf war between the War Office and the Ministry of Munitions - see Ll.G's 'Memoirs', pages 366 to 381:

https://archive.org/stream/warmemoirsvolume035284mbp#page/n403/mode/2up

image.jpg.83debed519d2ad7aaf24d81e7d0342d7.jpg

Thanks chaps- There are odd bits about him- Discovery at TNA lists some letters with the big knobs,so he must have played quite an important role behind the scenes- perhaps the most unknown of Britiain's war machinery ?  No papers, no memoirs- most odd.

As you might have expected, Brade was somehow or other involved in the Roberston/Wilson changeover

I have no details, only a cryptic ref. or two from a footnote

see War Cabinet (447) July 17, 1918, CAB 23/7

& Wilson Diary, July 15 & 17, 1918

The passage in the text is 

"Lloyd George's case against Robertson seemed even stronger. After the permanent military representative had been instructed by the Allied ministers to examine and report on the military situation, the army council renewed its efforts to tie Wilson completely to the War Office. On December 7, Wilson had been instructed to forward all proposals he planned to make at the Supreme War Council to the Army Council for its review."

from Lloyd George and the Generals, by David R Woodward

[this may make more sense to someone else?]

This chap, and Brade, were supposedly enmeshed in the alleged War Office conspiracy, of which Churchill was sure he was a victim. Who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg.07228e76be9b736b22d28bac889559f4.jpg

2 hours ago, Uncle George said:

This chap, and Brade, were supposedly enmeshed in the alleged War Office conspiracy, of which Churchill was sure he was a victim. Who is he ? ? ?

image.jpg

Is it Sir George Arthur, concerning the Dardanelles?

5 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Is it Sir George Arthur, concerning the Dardanelles?

You have correctly identified the controversy. My chap bore a splendid, almost medieval-sounding Office, which was abolished in the year 2013.

On the same page is a Major General Sir Stanley von Donop. Is it him?

20170704_213454.png.693ef788676eb8417d54f35fd727d517.png

On 05/07/2017 at 07:33, Uncle George said:

Yes indeed. (Image from Alamy.com.)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Brenton_von_Donop

Another one of the big guns I hadn't heard of before.

The highlighted yellow words in my image betray my search. (Screenshot of the results).

The last couple of fellows have been completely off my radar, so hopefully you will forgive my self-indulgence with this one???

fg.jpg.c3fefa6d6df63c1c0f4448b91fc05a5d.jpg

20170705_072549.png.be8477f6b8d0b5f58a7f19992bdcfcb0.png

(Two remarkably dissimilar images of the same chap.)

As an aside, Sir Reginald Brade was succeeded at the War Office by H J (later Sir Herbert) Creedy in 1920. Creedy held the post until 1939. He had been Private Secretary to Lord Kitchener in 1915.

Ron

13 hours ago, Uncle George said:

You have correctly identified the controversy. My chap bore a splendid, almost medieval-sounding Office, which was abolished in the year 2013.

It actually was mediaeval. Under slightly different variations of the title, it dates back to 1415. It's a pity that its abolition could not have waited for two more years!

Ron

3 hours ago, neverforget said:

Another one of the big guns I hadn't heard of before.

The highlighted yellow words in my image betray my search. (Screenshot of the results).

The last couple of fellows have been completely off my radar, so hopefully you will forgive my self-indulgence with this one???

fg.jpg.c3fefa6d6df63c1c0f4448b91fc05a5d.jpg20170705_072549.png.be8477f6b8d0b5f58a7f19992bdcfcb0.png

(Two remarkably dissimilar images of the same chap.)

No idea-  The picture on the left suggests he enjoyed a Full English Breakfast-at least 4 times a day.Also, was he ever arrested for impersonating Sir Rosslyn Wester-Wemyss?  Perhaps they both went to the same Greasy Spoon

25 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

No idea-  The picture on the left suggests he enjoyed a Full English Breakfast-at least 4 times a day.Also, was he ever arrested for impersonating Sir Rosslyn Wester-Wemyss?  Perhaps they both went to the same Greasy Spoon

A most interesting fellow with more strings to his bow than seems possible. 

For starters; he was a sportsman who won an Olympic gold medal. 

I will also disclose that he was a pioneering innovator.