The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

30 minutes ago, neverforget said:

A most interesting fellow with more strings to his bow than seems possible. 

For starters; he was a sportsman who won an Olympic gold medal. 

I will also disclose that he was a pioneering innovator. 

Is this Fred Kelly? He won a rowing Gold in 1908, served with the Royal Naval Division, and was killed on the Somme in 1916.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/stories/remembrance/sport-remembers-the-amazing-fred-kelly-rowing-genius-composer-leader/

1 minute ago, Uncle George said:

Is this Fred Kelly? He won a rowing Gold in 1908, served with the Royal Naval Division, and was killed on the Somme in 1916.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/community/stories/remembrance/sport-remembers-the-amazing-fred-kelly-rowing-genius-composer-leader/

Good try U.G. but not correct I'm afraid. 

He was an author, and was connected to both the army and navy.

He had a brother who was far more famous (or infamous depending on your point of view).

It is most likely to be Alfred Rawlinson, brother of General Henry Rawlinson, based on the clues. (The right hand image shows the close resemblance)

Recieved Olympic gold in 1900 in polo and went onto to be a Colonel in the Intelligence Service, and was captured by the Turks.

Abridged version of his life is here https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sir_Alfred_Rawlinson,_3rd_Baronet

Clearly I am far too generous with my clues. I must rethink my strategy.

As John says it is Sir Alfred "Tubby" Rawlinson.

Well done Knotty.

Pictures from here: http://kilburnandwillesdenhistory.blogspot.co.uk/2014/06/willesden-paddocks-famous-stud-farm.html?m=1

Can you chaps (and chapesses,SeaJane) have a go at this fellow-  Well-known for his exploits which would take your breath away. But-overlooked- an officer of the Royal Engineers during the Great War-wounded three times. A tough man

Image result for noel odell

Image details after identification-Luckily not on Sh*tbucket-sorry,Photobucket)

Edited by Guest

Gah. I've seen him somewhere. There is an "explorer" bell ringing. Not Tom Crean is it?

[edit: No, not TC, who was of course Navy, not RE>]

Edited by seaJane

Unfortunately your link goes directly to an article where that picture is captioned Noel Odell :unsure:

I don't think this chap's appeared on WiT. But his brother certainly has. More than once, I think:

image.jpg.d86ea964c43ce4223a7bc5cef4ce7b63.jpg

12 hours ago, MBrockway said:

Unfortunately your link goes directly to an article where that picture is captioned Noel Odell :unsure:

So much for me displacing Bill Gates as a software genius then?

On 07/07/2017 at 09:14, Uncle George said:

I don't think this chap's appeared on WiT. But his brother certainly has. More than once, I think:

image.jpg

If it's Robin Hoods Rifles, then possibly Cyril Ball, brother of Albert Ball, VC?

His MIC shows he was still a private at the end of the war, but I guess this could be a post war photo?

Mark

On 10 July 2017 at 00:30, MBrockway said:

If it's Robin Hoods Rifles, then possibly Cyril Ball, brother of Albert Ball, VC?

His MIC shows he was still a private at the end of the war, but I guess this could be a post war photo?

Mark

Not him, no. My chap was commissioned after this photograph was taken. And he held a commission before this photograph was taken. 

EDIT: He is Donald Hankey. Image from archive.org.

Edited by Uncle George

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for letting us know Uncle George - Andy and I have been on tenterhooks waiting for the Big Reveal.  To learn he was a 14th Div man (7/RB) is even better!

A Student In Arms is online here:

https://archive.org/details/studentinarms00hankuoft/

Hankey's letters here:

https://archive.org/details/lettersofdonaldh00hankuoft

... and the frontispiece reminds me why I thought Uncle George's photo looked so familiar!

I've spent some time over the years trying to connect up Donald Hankey with Gilbert Talbot, Neville Talbot and Tubby Clayton as I feel Hankey's work at Oxford and the Bermondsey missions must have lead their paths to cross. 

This all stems from my interest in the Liquid Fire attack at Hooge in July 1915.

I now spot this in Hankey's letters, this one to his sister:

5970c6d2a359a_HankeyDlettertosisterHildareNevilleTalbot13Aug1916-01.jpg.56c7b14d62096498d2d0f14f2945c74d.jpg

5970c6d76fe44_HankeyDlettertosisterHildareNevilleTalbot13Aug1916-02.jpg.0f9bdf61892cfc42442bd1f500363516.jpg

[Edit: I am guessing the club referred to may well be ToC H at Talbot House and the censor's strike was over 'Poperinghe']

Cheers,

Mark

And a later photograph

img535.jpg.6af25f328d92376072bac6e09af0496f.jpg

These two men served together: they were very well known in their respective civilian roles.

A general officer described one of them as the "best staff officer" he ever had.

Who are they ? ? ?

image.jpg.1f7b11ee55009a743ee4eaf71e0c0a87.jpg

image.jpg.a9ef34702b8dfbc8dfa591b7cd7179f6.jpg

UG

Was it Allenby that said it of Brig-Gen Richard Howard-Vyse when he got him to join Lt-Col Henry Chauvel for the 3rd Gaza battle?

John

On 22 July 2017 at 20:43, Knotty said:

Was it Allenby that said it of Brig-Gen Richard Howard-Vyse when he got him to join Lt-Col Henry Chauvel for the 3rd Gaza battle?

He may well have done; but as I say, my two chaps were very well known in their respective civilian lives.

EDIT: Images from IWM.

Edited by Uncle George

How about something a little different. Apart from being Field Marshals, what do the following (who are all of Great War vintage) have in common?

Earl Roberts

Earl Kitchener

Earl of Cavan

Viscount Alanbrooke

Hint: there is a connection to a man named Gerald Wollaston.

Ron

40 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

How about something a little different. Apart from being Field Marshals, what do the following (who are all of Great War vintage) have in common?

Earl Roberts

Earl Kitchener

Earl of Cavan

Viscount Alanbrooke

Ron

a) Freemasons   ii) Descendants of William the Conqueror.  3) All involved in the suppressed scandal of sale of honours by the College of Heralds?

No idea- but knowing your liking for the backwaters of military administration.....perhaps something to do with the office of Inspector of Regimental Colours?????

None of the above, I'm afraid, but you have correctly identified Gerald Wollaston. In each case the link, and connection, is very specific indeed.

Ron

PS The answer has nothing whatever to do with poetry or T E Lawrence.

4 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

None of the above, I'm afraid, but you have correctly identified Gerald Wollaston. In each case the link, and connection, is very specific indeed.

Ron

PS The answer has nothing whatever to do with poetry or T E Lawrence.

Ulster- All Ulstermen- including Wollastion in one sense-Ulster and Norroy  at the College of Arms.  

Ron-You could at least have treated us to a history of the office of Inspector of regimental Colours while you were at it.

On 22/07/2017 at 10:59, Uncle George said:

These two men served together: they were very well known in their respective civilian roles.

A general officer described one of them as the "best staff officer" he ever had.

Who are they ? ? ?

image.jpg

image.jpg

Uncle George. Is the second chap Charles Paget?

6 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Earl Roberts

Earl Kitchener

Earl of Cavan

Viscount Alanbrooke

Ron

I was going to suggest that they may have been Knights Templar?

1 hour ago, voltaire60 said:

Ulster- All Ulstermen- including Wollastion in one sense-Ulster and Norroy  at the College of Arms.  

Ron-You could at least have treated us to a history of the office of Inspector of regimental Colours while you were at it.

Cavan was not an Ulsterman as far as I know. It's not the connection I had in mind, anyway. Nor is the colonelcy of the Irish Guards, which only three of them were.

Ron

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

I was going to suggest that they may have been Knights Templar?

Not as far as I know. Kitchener is the only one whom I know was a Mason, though the others may have been.

As I said, the connection is "very specific indeed."

Ron

1 hour ago, neverforget said:

No, not him.

They may both be described as forgotten men.

In that case would it be the New Zealand Major-General Andrew Hamilton Russell?

John

12 minutes ago, Knotty said:

In that case would it be the New Zealand Major-General Andrew Hamilton Russell?

John

No. The general officer mentioned in post #6897, who had such a high opinion of one of these officers, was Trenchard.