The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

Cavan was not an Ulsterman as far as I know. It's not the connection I had in mind, anyway. Nor is the colonelcy of the Irish Guards, which only three of them were.

Ron

Not as far as I know. Kitchener is the only one whom I know was a Mason, though the others may have been.

As I said, the connection is "very specific indeed."

Ron

They have all featured on British trade cards- more usually called "cigarette cards"-although Alanbrooke featured in a series of trade cards given away with certain grocery brands, British War leaders, No.36 . Wollaston featured on a fag card as King of Arms.

PS-  "Cavan" is one of the 9 counties that form the Province of Ulster- one of the 3 that are now in the Republic of Ireland. Thus, it is never correct to refer to the 6 counties ruled from Stormont/Westminster since 1922 as "Ulster" as they are only a part of it.

Edited by Guest

UG

Would Trenchards man be Lt-Col EA Steel who served with him before the war in Africa?

30 minutes ago, Knotty said:

UG

Would Trenchards man be Lt-Col EA Steel who served with him before the war in Africa?

'Fraid not. As I say, they were both very well known in their respective civilian lives.

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Cavan was not an Ulsterman as far as I know. It's not the connection I had in mind, anyway. Nor is the colonelcy of the Irish Guards, which only three of them were.

Ron

Not as far as I know. Kitchener is the only one whom I know was a Mason, though the others may have been.

As I said, the connection is "very specific indeed."

Ron

Does this have anything to do with attendance at several Coronations? As Lord High Constable of England, Aide-de-Camp General to the King ...

Very close, Uncle George. I had thought that they might all have been Lord High Constable, but in fact only Alanbrooke was. Coronations is the critical link.

Re your two men highly thought of by Trenchard, would they be Sir Nevil Macready and Sir William Horwood, both of whom, like Trenchard (and Byng) became Commissioners of Police for the Metropolis?

Ron

Ron

Was it Wollaston that announced over the radio the accession of Edward VIII to the throne? 

6 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ron

Was it Wollaston that announced over the radio the accession of Edward VIII to the throne? 

Knotty- A link would be difficult- Edward VIII is January 1936- a little late for Roberts who snuffed it in 1914 or Kitchener in 1916

I wasn't looking at making a link, it was literally just a direct question. I'm still toying with UG's connection for now.

John

28 minutes ago, Knotty said:

Ron

It was Wollaston who read the proclamation at St James's Palace in 1936 - twice. I think the second one (of George VI) was broadcast on the radio.

Ron

42 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

Re your two men highly thought of by Trenchard, would they be Sir Nevil Macready and Sir William Horwood, both of whom, like Trenchard (and Byng) became Commissioners of Police for the Metropolis?

No. But one of my men did have a close association with the Metropolitan Police.

1 hour ago, Ron Clifton said:

It was Wollaston who read the proclamation at St James's Palace in 1936 - twice. I think the second one (of George VI) was broadcast on the radio.

Ron

Thanks Ron,

Knew I had read something about it, but couldn't recall the exact details

Perhaps all in charge of the military for different coronations- Roberts,1902 ( as C in C from 1901),, Kitchener 1911 (By specific request of the King) , Cavan 1937 and Brooke,1953. I suspect (though cannot find) that Wollaston was in charge of the arrangements for the coronation of Edward VIII-and that, as no other military man was ever specifically put in charge of the military contingent, that Wollaston was technically  "in charge".

Or-Just downright bl**dy simple-they all served in WW!- I note that Wollaston served in RNVR, 1914-1915, London Anti-Aircraft Section. The military careers of the other 4 may be a little better known.

Or-They all played percussion instruments in the Salvation Army Band incognito during the calendar year 1910...........     Doh! I'll get my coat....

Edited by Guest

Got it, GUEST. They were all "Field Marshal Commanding Coronation Troops" for the procession, street lining etc.

Wollaston has the probably unique record of having served as a member of the College of Heralds at all four Coronations in the twentieth century, as a Pursuivant in 1902 and 1911, as Garter King of Arms in 1937 and as Norroy & Ulster in 1953.

Ron

11 hours ago, Uncle George said:

No. But one of my men did have a close association with the Metropolitan Police.

Would that be Sir Philip Game?

EDIT: I'll throw in in George Garro-Jones 1st Baron Trefgarne too for the other fellow 

Edited by neverforget

2 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

Got it, voltaire. They were all "Field Marshal Commanding Coronation Troops" for the procession, street lining etc.

Wollaston has the probably unique record of having served as a member of the College of Heralds at all four Coronations in the twentieth century, as a Pursuivant in 1902 and 1911, as Garter King of Arms in 1937 and as Norroy & Ulster in 1953.

Ron

And the Salvation Army Band incognito in 1910?

I think the tabard would have stood out a bit!

Ron

4 minutes ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think the tabard would have stood out a bit!

Ron

Doh!!   Ron- INCOGNITO. How can a Field  Marshal play a base drum  with his  marshal's baton in one hand?

46 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Would that be Sir Philip Game?

EDIT: I'll throw in in George Garro-Jones 1st Baron Trefgarne too for the other fellow 

Philip Game? No.

George G-J? No. However, one of my chaps was a barrister and politician. But unlike G-J he was not a (Ll.G) National Liberal. No. He was a Liberal National.

(Reply to 6925)

Invert it so that the George and dragon are at the non-striking end, of course! :lol: Plus an ordinary stick in the other hand.

Ron

Edited by Ron Clifton

On 29 July 2017 at 10:13, Uncle George said:

... he was not a (Ll.G) National Liberal. No. He was a Liberal National.

Is it just me or has the momentum gone out of this Thread?

As is well known, the Liberal Nationals of 1931 took this name in reaction to the Lloyd George use of the name 'National Liberals' in the 1920s. The Liberal Nationals, or Simonite Liberals, were in Government, while the Samuelite Liberals were also in Government (until 1933, when they joined the Opposition). Meanwhile, there was at this stage a third group of Liberals, the Lloyd George Independent Liberals, who were in Opposition to the National Government. These are not to be confused with the Asquithian Independent Liberals of 1919-1923, who were in Opposition to the Lloyd George National Liberals, who were in Government.

The Liberal Nationals changed their name to National Liberals in 1947. By this time, Lloyd George, exhausted, had died.

Edited by Uncle George

Exhausted from what, we ask? :ph34r:

The thread does lose momentum periodically, UG. It'll revive, I'm sure.

2 hours ago, seaJane said:

Exhausted from what, we ask? :ph34r:

The thread does lose momentum periodically, UG. It'll revive, I'm sure.

That tour d'horizon was posted as a cumbersome clue to one of the officers in post #6897.  Which, let's be honest, has lasted for too long now.

34 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

That tour d'horizon was posted as a cumbersome clue to one of the officers in post #6897.  Which, let's be honest, has lasted for too long now.

Keep it going U.G. I've had a good knock at them so far and though I've been consistently off the mark I've not given up yet. 

12 hours ago, Uncle George said:

I think we have virtually exhausted everyone whom Pals are likely to recognise from photographs (or even are likely to have heard of) so much more specific clues are needed these days. With respect, UG, "well known in their respective civilian roles" is really not enough, and "connected with the Metropolitan Police" frankly isn't much better.

Ron

3 hours ago, Ron Clifton said:

I think we have virtually exhausted everyone whom Pals are likely to recognise from photographs (or even are likely to have heard of) so much more specific clues are needed these days. With respect, UG, "well known in their respective civilian roles" is really not enough, and "connected with the Metropolitan Police" frankly isn't much better.

Ron

You know that one of these men was, or served with (#6897) the best staff officer (#6897) Trenchard (#6908) ever had. So, they both served on Trenchard's staff.

One of these men was a barrister (#6926) and a well known (#6897) Liberal National (#6926) politician (#6926). The Liberal Nationals were a party of Government (#6928) and were also known as Simonite Liberals (#6928). He, (or the other officer) had an association with the Metropolitan Police (#6918).

Edited by Uncle George