The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

11 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Here's another Liberal National. He was the indirect cause of a row between WSC and Spears on a later occasion. Who is he ? ? ?

(For an extra point, what did he have in common with Simon and WSC?)

image.jpg

Like me he was born in Devonport -  Leslie Hore-Belisha.

20170805_142150.jpg.f6ed092694a6d79946620bfb4c1a1f16.jpgAny takers for this chap???

Another allied politician, but not British.  

Edited by neverforget

10 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Is that the IWM caption ?

Yes, a cut-and-paste:

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/item/object/205247404

A better caption I think would be, "Mabell Ogilvy, the Countess of Airlie, on the occasion of Queen Mary's visit to ... "

10 minutes ago, Ghazala said:

Like me he was born in Devonport -  Leslie Hore-Belisha.

Yes, that's him.

Where in Demport, may I ask? I was brought up in Stoke, part of old Devonport.

24 minutes ago, Stoppage Drill said:

Queen - of England.

No, I don't think so.

Edited by Uncle George
spelling

18 minutes ago, neverforget said:

20170805_142150.jpg.f6ed092694a6d79946620bfb4c1a1f16.jpgAny takers for this chap???

Another allied politician, but not British.  

He looks like Herriot.

5 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

He looks like Herriot.

Not Herriot. 

Top dog for the duration of his country's involvement in the war. 

16 minutes ago, neverforget said:

Not Herriot. 

Top dog for the duration of his country's involvement in the war. 

Although I suspect that 'dog' is a clue, I'm going to say, Salandra.

23 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Although I suspect that 'dog' is a clue, I'm going to say, Salandra.

Wouldn't like to mislead so "dog" isn't a clue.

Salandra isn't correct, and neither is the continent, which should narrow it down a bit. 

1 hour ago, Uncle George said:

And yourself?   I grew up in Plymouth-Plympton actually. My dear old Dad was Devonport born and bred- Packington Street-  His Dad was a "Chief" in the navy, then an Admiralty diver. Grew up in the bad times between the wars. Dad's mother and sister were killed in one of the big German raids in 1941- the house in Packington Street was untouched- the bomb hit an air-raid shelter in Blockhouse Park. Always lots of memorrials when it comes to the Blitz about Portland Square but Blockhouse Park remains an unknown tragedy. Dad's brother was on duty as one of the firewatchers and had to help dig out the shelter-He could remember  the molten lead from one of the bombed church roofs running along the gutter.

Dad's mother came from Cawsand- looks like her family had alternated between Kingsand/Cawsand and living in the Stoke part of Devonport as far back as we can trace- early 1700s. 

Edited by Guest

31 minutes ago, voltaire60 said:

And yourself?   I grew up in Plymouth-Plympton actually. My dear old Dad was Devonport born and bred- Packington Street-  His Dad was a "Chief" in the navy, then an Admiralty diver. Grew up in the bad times between the wars. Dad's mother and sister were killed in one of the big German raids in 1941- the house in Packington Street was untouched- the bomb hit an air-raid shelter in Blockhouse Park. Always lots of memorrials when it comes to the Blitz about Portland Square but Blockhouse Park remains an unknown tragedy. Dad's brother was on duty as one of the firewatchers and had to help dig out the shelter-He could remember  the molten lead from one of the bombed church roofs running along the gutter.

Dad's mother came from Cawsand- looks like her family had alternated between Kingsand/Cawsand and living in the Stoke part of Devonport as far back as we can trace- early 1700s. 

I think we've posted about this before: my Grandmother and father were born in the same house in Penlee Road, Stoke, in 1902 and 1930 respectively. I wasn't born there but grew up in that same house, and we all three attended the same school just off Devonport Road.

I am greatly interested in what you say about the Blockhouse - if I may I shall send you a PM, before the Mods' patience runs out.

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Wouldn't like to mislead so "dog" isn't a clue.

Salandra isn't correct, and neither is the continent, which should narrow it down a bit. 

Is he Robert Lansing?

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Cornwall Street.  Next to the dockyard wall.  My first school was King Street School amongst the bombed out ruins of Devonport.   I know Stoke well.

Edited by Ghazala

41 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Robert Lansing?

He isn't, but you're getting much warmer. 

His was a large country that played a small part (mainly naval) though they were a founder member of the League of Nations.

Initially, they entered the war on our side when a u- boat torpedoed one of their merchant ships containing an export that had ironically been banned in this country.

58 minutes ago, Ghazala said:

Cornwall Street.  Next to the dockyard wall.  My first school was King Street School amongst the bombed out ruins of Devonport.   I know Stoke well.

Thanks. Well blow me down. I've attached the presentation slip glued into a book won as a school prize by my grandfather, George Ross, at Christmas 1914. As you will see, it is stamped 'King Street Boys' School'.

image.jpg

Edited by Uncle George

27 minutes ago, neverforget said:

He isn't, but you're getting much warmer. 

His was a large country that played a small part (mainly naval) though they were a founder member of the League of Nations.

Initially, they entered the war on our side when a u- boat torpedoed one of their merchant ships containing an export that had ironically been banned in this country.

Is he President of Brazil Venceslau Brás?

12 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he President of Brazil Venceslau Brás?

Ah the beautiful game of politics was to be my next clue. Well played Uncle George, it is he. 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brazil_during_World_War_I

The only Latin American country to enter the war. 

Perhaps more interesting; this fellow was a national hero and has also been dubbed an honourable foe: 

20170805_150651.jpg.a5e1e1d39ae8279cd64ea8bec0f7dc93.jpg

Well known for his extraordinary exploits at sea.

Edited by neverforget

NF

Couldnt resist this one, commander of a 3 mast sailing ship, designated a cruiser the "Seeadler" caused quite a bit of consternation for the Royal Navy during 1917, in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. She was ably commanded by Felix Von Luckner (the Sea Devil), a nice little write up can be found with this link:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_von_Luckner

John

4 hours ago, Uncle George said:

Thanks. Well blow me down. I've attached the presentation slip glued into a book won as a school prize by my grandfather, George Ross, at Christmas 1914. As you will see, it is stamped 'King Street Boys' School'.

image.jpg

Brilliant.  Thanks for that.

8 hours ago, voltaire60 said:

The first school my sister and I attended was King Street School in Devonport.  We were living with our Gran (Lilly Matthews) in her flat in Cornwall Street, next to the Dockyard Wall.   The whole area had been bombed to bits by the German Luftwaffe.  My sister and I had to climb over mounds of rubble to get to school.   There was a lot of talk back then of how 600 people were killed in one night in a bombing raid in Pennycomequick in 1940 whilst they were in an air raid shelter.

5 hours ago, Knotty said:

NF

Couldnt resist this one, commander of a 3 mast sailing ship, designated a cruiser the "Seeadler" caused quite a bit of consternation for the Royal Navy during 1917, in both the Atlantic and Pacific Oceans. She was ably commanded by Felix Von Luckner (the Sea Devil), a nice little write up can be found with this link:-

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Felix_von_Luckner

John

Got him in one John. A well known larger than life WW1 character. Thought I'd throw in an easier one after my previous rather obscure post.

http://navymuseum.co.nz/worldwar1/people/count-felix-von-luckner/

Can you tel who this consul is from this picture???

20170806_082620.png.066ff80773b0471f7090ec7b42c4496f.png

Edited by neverforget

2 hours ago, neverforget said:

Can you tel who this consul is from this picture???

20170806_082620.png.066ff80773b0471f7090ec7b42c4496f.png

Is he Myron T. Herrick, and does the 'T' stand for Terence*, explaining your quiet clue 'tel'?

*no.

15 minutes ago, Uncle George said:

Is he Myron T. Herrick, and does the 'T' stand for Terence*, explaining your quiet clue 'tel'?

*no.

Well done for spotting the dastardly clue, which is indeed relevant, but no it's not Herrick, and neither do the initials represent his name. 

He's a member of the opposition. 

I suppose you could say that our TEL and this fellow worked in the same field though not in the same country.