The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

NF is right. The tall man in the pale uniform is indeed King Albert of the Belgians. He was 'chef' of the 16th Dragoner (2nd Hannoverians). His uniform here is shown in the Great War exhibition

in the Brussels Army museum. He was also 'chef' of the 27th Austro Hungarian Infantry regiment 'King of the Belgians'

The German officer partly hidden by King Albert encountered the Belgian officer the following year... Their names are mentioned in Tuchmann......

Carl

"Who's the senior officer...?" was your question. Are we to assume that, because Albert is in the uniform of a Colonel (?) of a German regiment, he is not the senior officer? I ask because NF mentioned Albert in post 751, but by your later post 763 it could be assumed that this was not the correct answer.

David is it Falkenhayn?

It is UG, well done

David

NF is right. The tall man in the pale uniform is indeed King Albert of the Belgians. He was 'chef' of the 16th Dragoner (2nd Hannoverians). His uniform here is shown in the Great War exhibition

in the Brussels Army museum. He was also 'chef' of the 27th Austro Hungarian Infantry regiment 'King of the Belgians'

The German officer partly hidden by King Albert encountered the Belgian officer the following year... Their names are mentioned in Tuchmann......

Carl

Well, we'll. As I said above it seems extraordinary that Albert donned the uniform of his German regiment on a visit when it had been made pretty clear that the Germans, in Tuchmann's words, 'intended to frighten Belgium into coming to terms.' Perhaps the manoeuvres were before the notorious banquet.

Anyway, good spot NF and good to see Albert making his fifth appearance so far in WIT! If TEL is our patron saint then Albert must be our royal patron. Perhaps WIT could be styled 'By Royal Appointment to the King of the Belgians'

David

A not dissimilar set up here to Carl's last photo, although these are definitely not manoeuvres. Who is the chap staring at the camera?

post-66715-0-75529700-1409173271_thumb.j

David

Edit: Sorry, hadn't realised it would appear that small. The race is on between my poor tech skills producing a bigger version, and Pete finding his electron microscope in the shed!

Poet.attachicon.gifhh.jpg

EDIT> O.k. That`s a really stingy clue. His most well known poem is one that he penned for the Kaiser.

The byways we take courtesy of WIT???

I'm sure your chap isn't W H Coates but his name popped out of the extensive library as he wrote a poem about the Kaiser, or more specifically about the Kaiser as a teenager having a punch up with a Devonian lad called Alf Price on Ilfracombe Beach.

An extraordinary story not least because the thought immediately occurs - What on earth was the 12 year old Wilhelm doing in Ilfracombe?!

Anyway back to finding the actual poet!

David

The race is on between my poor tech skills producing a bigger version, and Pete finding his electron microscope in the shed!

I'm not going down the bottom of the garden at this hour; it's blowing a gale at Owls Towers. It looks like a multinational force with some serious optical equipment. I await the enlarged version with interest.

Pete.

The byways we take courtesy of WIT???

I'm sure your chap isn't W H Coates but his name popped out of the extensive library as he wrote a poem about the Kaiser, or more specifically about the Kaiser as a teenager having a punch up with a Devonian lad called Alf Price on Ilfracombe Beach.

An extraordinary story not least because the thought immediately occurs - What on earth was the 12 year old Wilhelm doing in Ilfracombe?!

Anyway back to finding the actual poet!

David

Getting a boxing lesson, hopefully. Off to check it out now.

My poet became an overnight sensation when he wrote his first poem. It was displayed at various railway stations in order to inspire the troops as they entrained for the front.

He was a friend of Kipling, and was apparently suggested as the potential new Poet Laureate.

Strongly connected to the railways.

A section from the poem follows:

Monster, who asked God's aid Divine,

Then strewed His seas with the ghastly mine;

Not all the waters of the Rhine

Can wash thy foul hands clean.

Courtesy of returned elder daughter here is a resized photo:

post-66715-0-70136900-1409179699_thumb.j

David

A section from the poem follows:

Monster, who asked God's aid Divine,

Then strewed His seas with the ghastly mine;

Not all the waters of the Rhine

Can wash thy foul hands clean.

It's Henry Chappell and the poem is 'The Day'. I have to admit I've not seen it before. I will definitely be adding it to my War Poems lessons next year

David

Ah so ! That looks like Hamilton to me, but strangely, the more I look, the more he seems to be Japanese.

It is Henry Chappell David, well solved. Came across his tale on the recent Portillo Railways in the Great War series. Full poem here: http://allpoetry.com/The-Day

Another of his poems:

Only a dying horse! pull off the gear,

And slip the needless bit from frothing jaws,

Drag it aside there, leaving the road way clear,

The battery thunders on with scarce a pause.

Prone by the shell-swept highway there it lies

With quivering limbs, as fast the life-tide fails,

Dark films are closing o’er the faithful eyes

That mutely plead for aid where none avails.

Onward the battery rolls, but one there speeds

Needlessly of comrades voice or bursting shell,

Back to the wounded friend who lonely bleeds

Beside the stony highway where he fell.

Only a dying horse! he swiftly kneels,

Lifts the limp head and hears the shivering sigh

Kisses his friend, while down his cheek there steals

Sweet pity’s tear, "Goodbye old man, Goodbye".

No honours wait him, medal, badge or star,

Though scarce could war a kindlier deed unfold;

He bears within his breast, more precious far

Beyond the gift of kings, a heart of gold.

Henry Chappell became the stationmaster at Bristol Temple Meads if I remember from the Portillo on the telly. I'm not quick enough on the draw. As for your man David I would hazard a guess that this is the Russo-Japanese war somewhere in Manchuria in rather chilly conditions if the coat is anything to go by. I've read something recently about someone coming back with lessons from the conflict but I can't for the life of me remember who it is.

Pete.

P.S. Your resizing response got big laughs David, for once the words painted the picture. I hope the process wasn't too humiliating.

Ah so ! That looks like Hamilton to me, but strangely, the more I look, the more he seems to be Japanese.

It is indeed Hamilton NF, well spotted. He is at the Battle of Shaho, so your Russo-Japanese suggestion was bang on too Pete

David

Henry Chappell became the stationmaster at Bristol Temple Meads if I remember from the Portillo on the telly. I'm not quick enough on the draw. As for your man David I would hazard a guess that this is the Russo-Japanese war somewhere in Manchuria in rather chilly conditions if the coat is anything to go by. I've read something recently about someone coming back with lessons from the conflict but I can't for the life of me remember who it is.

Pete.

P.S. Your resizing response got big laughs David, for once the words painted the picture. I hope the process wasn't too humiliating.

He was offered the position of Stationmaster, but turned it down so that he could remain as a porter, and "stay in touch".

O.k. A silly one. For any possible night owls, a valiant feathered friend to keep you company.

Who is this ???post-95959-0-37342200-1409182055_thumb.j

And no, it`s not Valiant.

O.k. A silly one. For any possible night owls, a valiant feathered friend to keep you company.

Who is this ???attachicon.gifff.jpg

And no, it`s not Valiant.

Is it Cher Ami?

Edit: no don't think so. Just checked and it looks like the wrong leg is missing!

David

"Who's the senior officer...?" was your question. Are we to assume that, because Albert is in the uniform of a Colonel (?) of a German regiment, he is not the senior officer? I ask because NF mentioned Albert in post 751, but by your later post 763 it could be assumed that this was not the correct answer.

any misunderstanding can be brought back to the fact that english is certainly not my first language. :doh:

Carl

Is it Cher Ami?

Edit: no don't think so. Just checked and it looks like the wrong leg is missing!

David

Didn`t think it would take long to home in on this one.

Credited with saving the Lost Battalion of the 77th Division in the Battle of the Argonne, October 1918, it is indeed Cher Ami.

She had 25 miles to cover in order to get the message back, As she tried to fly back, the Germans saw her rising out of the brush and opened fire. For several moments, Cher Ami flew with bullets zipping through the air all around her. She was eventually shot down but managed to take flight again. She arrived back at her loft at division headquarters 25 miles to the rear in just 65 minutes, helping to save the lives of the 194 survivors. In this last mission, Cher Ami delivered the message despite having been shot through the breast, blinded in one eye, covered in blood and with a leg hanging only by a tendon.

Cher Ami became the hero of the 77th Infantry Division. Army medics worked long and hard to save her life. They were unable to save her leg, so they carved a small wooden one for her. When she recovered enough to travel, the now one-legged bird was put on a boat to the United States, with General John J. Pershing personally seeing Cher Ami off as she departed France.
She was awarded the Croix de Guerre medal, but I believe that she had had enough of carrying things around, and so swapped it for a box of Trill.
EDIT> Just read Coates` poem, by the way. It would seem that we now have another contributing factor to who started the war. Alf; you have a lot to answer for. :)
Edited by neverforget

Just read Coates` poem, by the way. It would seem that we now have another contributing factor to who started the war. Alf; you have a lot to answer for.

:lol::lol:

By the way Cher Ami had the honour of being the first bird to be a WIT way back at number 120 . The first non-human WIT was Ghazala (that's TEL's camel rather than our good friend Eddie of course!) at number 117.

David

By the way Cher Ami had the honour of being the first bird to be a WIT way back at number 120 . The first non-human WIT was Ghazala (that's TEL's camel rather than our good friend Eddie of course!) at number 117.

David

What a bird brain. In my haste I forgot to do a search. Apologies for the repeat.

What a bird brain. In my haste I forgot to do a search. Apologies for the repeat.

As has been said many times no problem with repeats. We've had Hamilton before as well so we all do it!

However I'm pretty sure that this chap is new to the thread, which is slightly surprising:

post-66715-0-88375200-1409213871_thumb.j

David

Inmates and Witters

Soft-pedalling the stats these days in deference to the mods but thought you might like to know that we are not a million miles away from a few milestones.

For the combined WIT threads, posts now stand at 9,041, views at 91,062 and there have been 1092 WITs. The current rate of progress should see 100,000 views and 10,000 posts before the threads first anniversary on New Years Eve.

From little acorns...

David

any misunderstanding can be brought back to the fact that english is certainly not my first language. :doh:

Carl

Sorry Carl - being confused seems to be my default position these days.

And let's face it Caryl, on this thread TEL is always worth a punt!

David

Yes, indeed. If in doubt, bring TEL out :)

A piece of sheet music from the movie that cost me the grand total of 5p!

(I'm way behind with this thread. Will try to catch up)

post-8866-0-77275600-1409222434_thumb.jp

David

Thank you David...