The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Eddie

I thought he was familiar but was unsure until you posted that you thought he had been up before. Then I checked the spreadsheet and saw it was deja vu all over again :thumbsup:

David

Uncle George

Thank you for saving us from the wrath of the mods by starting the rhodomontade thread in Skindles. Of course it now means that any hope I had of being ready for school next week has disappeared as I try to think of different scenarios in which the blooming word can be used (although to be honest I don't think any of us are going to better Pete's Daisy Ashford pastiche).

David

Here's another bemedalled Aussie:

post-66715-0-14285900-1409433080_thumb.j

David

Uncle George

Thank you for saving us from the wrath of the mods by starting the rhodomontade thread in Skindles. Of course it now means that any hope I had of being ready for school next week has disappeared as I try to think of different scenarios in which the blooming word can be used (although to be honest I don't think any of us are going to better Pete's Daisy Ashford pastiche).

David

I think the spin off idea was genius, thanks uncle. Perhaps if any of us feel the need for ribaldry and joshing or any other kind of high jinks we should use Rhodomontade as the venue. But not content with adding insult to injury therein by mentioning the footy results I am shocked that you should describe my homage to The Young Visiters (or Mr Salteena's plan) as a mere pastiche. You really know how to wound.

Pete.

P.S. Long shot; is your man Frank McNamara?

P.S. Long shot; is your man Frank McNamara?

Haven't a clue mate! I'm afraid I'm turning into that bloke in 'Memento' - unless I write something down I forget it. For some reason I didn't note this chap's name down in my WIT book. All I wrote was 'Aussie most medalled pilot painting in IWM' Can I find the picture again? Can I heck as like!

Having said that McNamara rings no bells

David

Not a Who is This but a What is This. I have no idea what it is!

post-100478-0-43286100-1409437746_thumb.

Primitive radar? I'm sure I've seen something like these used by the Japanese. I thought they were called Jericho Tubes but that produced no response from the Extensive Library.

David

Edit: Remembered now they were called War Tubas and they were Japanese. They were supposed to magnify the sound of approaching war planes so they were a form of radar. I hadn't realised we used them as well.

Good grief! You lot still here?

I'll throw another one in for you to play with.

post-12111-0-68019700-1409474531_thumb.j

Here's another bemedalled Aussie:

attachicon.gifdri 258.jpg

David

I know your WIT because Ross Macpherson Smith achieved a 'first', with his brother Keith, in 1919. They were the first pilots to fly from England to Australia within 30 days. Both were knighted.

I had to Google his GW military service and discovered that he served in the Middle East and was awarded the MC twice and the DFC three times.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Is this Alec Bradley DCM RAMC?

'Fraid not. My chap used his own name and an alias. The alias is, perhaps, the better known one.

Good grief! You lot still here?

You mean we can leave if we want?!

David

I know your WIT because Ross Macpherson Smith achieved a 'first', with his brother Keith, in 1919. They were the first pilots to fly from England to Australia within 30 days. Both were knighted.

I had to Google his GW military service and discovered that he served in the Middle East and was awarded the MC twice and the DFC three times.

JP

Well done JP and thank you as this was driving me nuts!

David

You mean we can leave if we want?!

David

...to emerge, blinking, into the light.

I know your WIT because Ross Macpherson Smith ... served in the Middle East and was awarded the MC twice and the DFC three times.

JP

And an AFC, judging by the picture.

Ian's 836 is Hugh MacDiarmid?

Mike

No. It's Christopher Murray Grieve. :devilgrin::P:w00t:

(I'd forgotten there was the odd Scottish bampot in this asylum). Congratulations.

(I'd forgotten there was the odd Scottish bampot in this asylum).

Hey less of the 'odd' eh?

I actually looked him up not that long ago, and I remember the eyes.

Mike

His features are quite recognisable. An' man, Ah hae keeked at a thristle mony a time when Ah hae been blootered. Ken?

Nice to have Ian and Mike back in the jug again (despite not understanding virtually anything they were saying)

I've got a couple of VC winners to put up, both of whom are 'firsts'. So who is this?

post-66715-0-16680700-1409509059_thumb.j

David

No. It's Christopher Murray Grieve. :devilgrin::P:w00t:

(I'd forgotten there was the odd Scottish bampot in this asylum). Congratulations.

Not to mention the photo of him in the current Radio Times!

Ron

Hey less of the 'odd' eh?

I actually looked him up not that long ago, and I remember the eyes.

Mike

"Ayes", surely, if he's Scottish.