The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Pete you are strong favourite to know this one.

No pressure then. I'm ok when the deduction goes from the location or action to the individual but the other way around is when I'm rubbish. I think you are right that it was a French aviator who spotted that there were no Germans for about 30 miles. I suspect I am referring back to one of those histories of August and September 1914 which only refers to the French army in terms of them withdrawing unexpectedly leaving our boys in the lurch. Alternatively I wonder if the two pilots I mentioned were the chaps that reported the movements of the Germans at Mons.

Pete.

No pressure then. I'm ok when the deduction goes from the location or action to the individual but the other way around is when I'm rubbish. I think you are right that it was a French aviator who spotted that there were no Germans for about 30 miles. I suspect I am referring back to one of those histories of August and September 1914 which only refers to the French army in terms of them withdrawing unexpectedly leaving our boys in the lurch. Alternatively I wonder if the two pilots I mentioned were the chaps that reported the movements of the Germans at Mons.

Pete.

They were indeed the two chaps who spotted that the B.E.F. were about to be surrounded at Mons.

I fancy you for this one because of the Verdun connection.

(Even more pressure then.. :thumbsup: And don`t forget you`re on a hat-trick!)

If there is a Verdun connection and I don't get it I'm going to have to find the service revolver, fill one chamber and go and do the decent thing. I seem to be indentifying every pilot and observer airborne during late August and early September 1914 apart from the right guy.

Pete.

Sadly, that was where his part in the war came to an end.

EDIT> Vadelaincourt to be more precise.

I really must retire now, another 4.15 start in the morning. You will know him when you find him. On his Wiki page is a tribute from one of his comrades, who was himself K.I.A. very shortly afterwards.

Look forward to catching up tomorrow.

Edited by neverforget

Marcel Brindejonc des Moulinais is the man NF. Sorry to take it off your toes Pete.

He was the youngest ever recipient of the Legion d'Honneur and was killed over Verdun in 1916

David

C'est la guerre mon ami. I even found a picture of the Farman he was supposed to be flying but mention of his name? Nothing, zip, nada. Can I present this lady who ran a canteen for the troops in Dover for the team's perusal?

Pete.

post-101238-0-33774400-1410215217_thumb.

Marcel Brindejonc des Moulinais is the man NF. Sorry to take it off your toes Pete.

He was the youngest ever recipient of the Legion d'Honneur and was killed over Verdun in 1916

David

Excellent stuff lads. Spot on David. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marcel_Brindejonc_des_Moulinais

No hat-trick for Pete this time, but I think you can claim an assist for the third one.

No hat-trick for Pete this time, but I think you can claim an assist for the third one.

Happy with that; I like to think of myself as a team player. I wouldn't have got him in a month of Sundays. As to the lady I posted; I had to trim her name off the photo which looked like an autographed publicity snap from 1919 when she shot to fame. Not for running the canteen in Dover however.

Pete.

Happy with that; I like to think of myself as a team player. I wouldn't have got him in a month of Sundays. As to the lady I posted; I had to trim her name off the photo which looked like an autographed publicity snap from 1919 when she shot to fame. Not for running the canteen in Dover however.

Pete.

I`ll take a hopeful but not very confident stab with Marina Yurlova?

Let`s have two ladies on the go at the same time.

Who is this???post-95959-0-11615300-1410291805_thumb.j

Volunteered for the the Voluntary Aid Department.

Writer.

I admire your joie de vivre NF but I fear it is a recipe for trouble. It isn't Yurlova; much closer to home. As Edwardian English a name as you can get, redolent of the garden of England. Your lady has an Annie Oakley quality but I know it is not her.

Pete.

I`m wondering now if I may have seen your lady on the telly recently, after your clues. Confusion reigns with me at the moment, and a walk amongst the flowerbeds may well help.

Your Annie Oakley reference is quite apt, and if I might say, quite an inspired insight!

Ended up as a prisoner of war.

NF, my lady became famous after the war for something done well before. She was featured when Uncle George and I were up mischief. I was the clulprit.

Pete.

Hmmm...Writer?

My lady holds the distinction of being a one and only.

She was rejected by the V.A.D. But.......Not to be discouraged from getting to the action, she went down a very novel avenue, succeeding in getting herself arrested as a spy.

I`ve been looking at Jessie Pope and May Wedderburn Cannan, Pete, but although some pic`s of them look vaguely similar to your image, I have my doubts. Probably barking up the wrong tree as usual in any case.

As regards mine. Remember I said how appropriate Annie Oakley was? Well Orphan Annie might be another clue, though I will say now that her name is not Anne or Annie, or any other form of that name.

A further hint might be tunneling on the Somme.

'fraid not NF. There is a one word clue that will give it away immediately but for now I will just say that spelling was not a strongpoint for the lady I posted. I haven't the foggiest who your lady is but the clues are fab.

Pete.

NF, my lady became famous after the war for something done well before. She was featured when Uncle George and I were up mischief. I was the clulprit.

Pete.

Might it be Daisy Ashford?

A very timely appearance, UG. Saved me from further looking through the Roses, Violets, and Lillies.

I`ll try and help further with mine if I can. To recap; she was a writer/journalist, she was an orphan, Annie Oakley was a clue, arrested as a spy, held as a prisoner of war, and tunneling on the Somme.

The action that made her totally unique, she was sworn to silence about, to the tune of having the Defence of the Realm Act slapped on her by the military. She nevertheless wrote a book about it, and ended up being taken into care, and declared to be insane. Henceforth she was locked away for forty years, until she died, and is buried in an unknown pauper`s grave.

Is your fellow Louis Breguet by any chance U.G?

EDIT> I`ve just checked out Pete`s Daisy, and I now see what you mean about spelling. But hey, a novel at nine years old deserves a little slack to be cut her way, I`d say. Very talented girl, and quite a striking looking young lady too.

Good post, Pete, but I think she was always going to evade me somehow.

Edited by neverforget

Might it be Daisy Ashford?

It might well be Daisy Ashford. Well spotted uncle G; I didn't want to use the word rhomontodade which would have been a complete giveaway, I am always amused by the nine year old Daisy describing Mr Salteena as an elderly man of 42. Maybe I've been less amused by it since I passed 42 myself.

Good post, Pete, but I think she was always going to evade me somehow.

Touche, NF. I had the same sense with your Farman flying Frenchman.

Pete.

P.S. I've just noticed the unconcious irony of my mispelling of culprit. I can spell, but not accurately.

I`ll take a hopeful but not very confident stab with Marina Yurlova?

Who is this???attachicon.gifte.jpg

Volunteered for the the Voluntary Aid Department.

Writer.

Is she journalist and war correspondent Sapper Dorothy Lawrence who posed as a man to enlist?

I am always amused by the nine year old Daisy describing Mr Salteena as an elderly man of 42. Maybe I've been less amused by it since I passed 42 myself.

Scott Fitzgerald was haunted by the fear that he would always be remembered for the line '"she was a faded but still lovely woman of twenty seven" that he wrote when 20 (in a book about a chap disappointed to not have fought in the Great War)

David

And if so, is she yet another TEL connection? :lol:

Ron

Is she journalist and war correspondent Sapper Dorothy Lawrence who posed as a man to enlist?

Well solved helpjpl. Alias Denis Smith. 179 Tunnelling Company, 51st Division, Royal Engineers http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2537793/She-fought-Somme-disguised-Tommy-did-Dorothy-die-unloved-unlauded-lunatic-asylum-Incredible-story-British-woman-fight-trenches.html

Handled a trifle insensitively for her indiscretion I would suggest.