The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Only if seen by WSC in the evening. :lol: I don't think that she ever dressed in a wing collar and tie!

Ron

My man at post 949: reputedly the most hated man in America in 1917 and 1918. Accused of being "pro-German, pretty near pro-Goth, and pro-Vandal."

Four more clues: -

Trained by Beaumont, this eagle worked with an albatross and was awarded a large medal in 1916.

JP

The Large Military Merit Medal, or Large Signum Laudis, was awarded to one naval aviator. And here he is decked out in all his finery.

post-105192-0-85265400-1410945598_thumb.

post-105192-0-65435800-1410945631_thumb.

Edited by helpjpl

The Large Military Merit Medal, or Large Signum Laudis, was awarded to one naval aviator. And here he is decked out in all his finery.

It's von Banfield.

It's von Banfield.

Uncle George has got him - Gottfried von Banfield - 'The Eagle of Trieste'. Naval flying ace.

His father, Richard Banfield, served with distinction in the Austrian Imperial Navy.

Gottried honed his flying skills under the tutelage of Jean-Louis Conneau, aka Andre Beaumont.

After the war, Gottfried lived in the UK for several years.

His son, the composer Raffaello de Banfield, was born in Newcastle-upon-Tyne and met Tennessee Williams in the US.

Last but not least - here's the Albatross

post-105192-0-98852200-1410948156_thumb.

I'm getting nowhere with JP's. Meanwhile, who's this ? ? ?

Robert "Fighting Bob" La Follette was leader of the anti-war faction in the US Senate and voted against Woodrow Wilson's war declaration.

Robert "Fighting Bob" La Follette was leader of the anti-war faction in the US Senate and voted against Woodrow Wilson's war declaration.

Yes indeed.

"When we cooperate with those governments, we endorse their methods; we endorse the violations of international law by Great Britain; we endorse the shameful methods of warfare against which we have again and again protested in this war."

Who is Buchan writing about here ? ? ?

"I do not think he could ever have been called popular. He was immensely admired, but he did not lay himself out to acquire popularity, and in the ordinary man he inspired awe rather than liking. His courtesy was without warmth, he was apt to be intolerant of mediocrity, and he had no desire for facile acquaintanceships. Also - let it be admitted - there were times when he was almost inhuman. He would destroy some piece of honest sentiment with a jest, and he had no respect for the sacred places of dull men. There was always a touch of scorn in him for obvious emotion, obvious creeds, and all the accumulated lumber of prosaic humanity."

It is not TEL.

"I do not think he could ever have been called popular. He was immensely admired, but he did not lay himself out to acquire popularity, and in the ordinary man he inspired awe rather than liking. His courtesy was without warmth, he was apt to be intolerant of mediocrity, and he had no desire for facile acquaintanceships. Also - let it be admitted - there were times when he was almost inhuman. He would destroy some piece of honest sentiment with a jest, and he had no respect for the sacred places of dull men. There was always a touch of scorn in him for obvious emotion, obvious creeds, and all the accumulated lumber of prosaic humanity."

It is not TEL.

Is it King George V?

Ron

Not the King, Ron, no.

"He began his training in the Queen's Westminsters, from which after a few months he was transferred to the Grenadier Guards. There he was perfectly happy. He was among young men again - the same kind of light-hearted and high-spirited companionship in which he had delighted at Oxford. In London I think the young Guardsman had held him in some awe... He himself used to say that it was an odd trick of Providence to send a "middle-aged and middle-class" man into the Guards. Yet he had never found a circle where he was so much at home, and his popularity was immediate and complete."

How about either Anthony Eden or Harold Macmillan?

Ron

Neither of them, no.

" In the great movement of 15th September the Guards Division advanced from Ginchy on Lesboeufs. Their front of attack was too narrow, their objectives were too far distant, and from the start their flanks were enfiladed. It was not till the second advance on the 25th that Lesboeufs was won. But on the 15th that fatal fire from the corner of Ginchy village brought death to many in the gallant Division, and among them was [this man]. In his letters he had often lamented the loss of others, but his friends knew that he had neither fear nor care for himself."

Raymond Asquith I think uncle.

Pete.

Raymond Asquith I think uncle.

Pete.

You're absolutely right Pete.

His sister, Violet Bonham Carter: "He was shot through the chest and carried back to a shell-hole where there was an improvised dressing station. There they gave him morphia and he died an hour later. God bless him. How he has vindicated himself - before all those who thought him merely a scoffer - by the modest heroism with which he chose the simplest and most dangerous form of service - and having so much to keep for England gave it all to her with his life."

Is it Banjo Paterson?

Yes, Andrew Barton "Banjo" Paterson OBE.

At the outbreak of war, aged 50, he sailed for England, unsuccessfully seeking employment as a war correspondent, ending up as an ambulance driver at the Australian Voluntary Hospital. Returning home in 1915 he made three voyages as a vet with horses to Africa, China, and then Egypt where he was commissioned as a captain in 2 Remount Unit, then commanding as major in Egypt and Palestine until repatriation in 1919.

Down came a jumbuck to drink at the water-hole,

Up jumped the swagman and grabbed him in glee;

And he sang as he put him away in his tucker-bag,

“You’ll come a-waltzing Matilda with me!”

JP

And who is this? No clues for now.

On the basis he appears to be a junior officer in the Argylls, I'd suggest John Hay Beith, or his alter ego, Ian Hay.

It is not TEL.

Disappointed!

Another chap with a 'tache. Who is this explorer and writer?

MC and Bar (WW1), DSO (WW2), CBE, Freeman of the City of Belluno.

He spent 20 years on mountain travel, (7 books), followed by 25+ years trans-ocean sailing, (8 books). He died with his sea boots on, aged 79.

Edited by helpjpl

MC and Bar (WW1), DSO (WW2), CBE, Freeman of the City of Belluno.

He spent 20 years on mountain travel, (7 books), followed by 25+ years trans-ocean sailing, (8 books). He died with his sea boots on, aged 79.

Harold Tilman?

Harold Tilman?

Yes Uncle George - Major Harold William "Bill" Tilman, 1898-1977. An extraordinary man.

He was commissioned into the RFA, was wounded at the Somme, and awarded the MC and Bar. After the war he farmed in Kenya, cycled across Africa, made multiple first ascents of extreme routes on East African peaks, spent years exploring in the Himalaya including dozens of first ascents of peaks there, made the first expedition through the Rishi Gorge, the first ascent of Nanda Devi in 1936 - the highest ascent until Everest in 1953, was a special forces officer in Bosnia, Albania and Northern Italy in WW2, covered 114,000 miles of trans-ocean sailing in wooden pilot cutters, made the first crossing of the Patagonia icecap etc etc etc.

His books are absolute gems. Here is a taste of Tilman -
At Calcutta I had made some enquiries as to whether a war which had seen the invention of atomic bombs and self-heating soups had not also given birth to something of more general benefit such as leech repellent. My surmise was correct.
A month before sailing I had two [crew]. To find three more I put an advertisement in the Times: "Hands wanted for long voyage in small boat. No pay, no prospects, not much pleasure." From twenty replies, some of them serious, I got the three more men I needed. None had any experience of sailing small boats but one had crossed the Atlantic fifty-one times in the Queen Mary playing the double-bass in the ship's orchestra. One has to admire his sense of humour.
JP
Edited by helpjpl