The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

JP; what a guy. Thank you.

Pete.

Shh! Don't wake them up.

My shamefully neglected chappie is a literary cove - famous for translating.

I think it's Charles Scott Moncrieff

You've been dunking those madeleines again, haven't you? Well done. You have ythunken well.

It is - John Theodore Cuthbert Moore-Brabazon, 1st Baron Brabazon of Tara, MC, GBE, PC. Conservative MP for Chatham then Wallasey. Minister of Transport and Minister of Aircraft Production (WW2).

He served on the Western Front in the Great War and played a key role in the development of aerial photography and reconnaissance. He invented/designed the first purpose-built aerial camera in 1915.

In 1909, as a joke, he took 'Icarus II' up in his 'plane to show that pigs could fly.

JP

post-105192-0-19332000-1411578668_thumb.

An easy WAIWA. Who is Spears describing here:

"A curious, very tall man, who boasted that he was the ugliest man in the British army. I had no difficulty in believing that. In fact, a letter was once delivered to him in London, 'To the ugliest man in the British army.' It came straight to him." ? ? ?

An easy WAIWA. Who is Spears describing here:

"A curious, very tall man, who boasted that he was the ugliest man in the British army. I had no difficulty in believing that. In fact, a letter was once delivered to him in London, 'To the ugliest man in the British army.' It came straight to him." ? ? ?

Sir Henry Wilson.

What soldier and politician of the Great War used this phrase: "The movement...has therefore passed into what is called in the United States innocuous desuetude." ? ? ?

From 'And There Was a Great Calm':

Calm fell. From Heaven distilled a clemency;

There was peace on earth, and silence in the sky;

Some could, some could not, shake off misery:

The Sinister Spirit sneered: 'It had to be!'

And again the Spirit of Pity whispered, 'Why?'

Thomas Hardy

Can't resist a question put that way, although I'm not a Thomas Hardy fan myself. I offer these two gentlemen for consideration. I would expect them to have been chalk and cheese in civvy street but one employed the other in wartime. Who are they and what links them?

Pete.

post-101238-0-74527700-1412168272_thumb.

post-101238-0-76063100-1412168281_thumb.

Uncle; you are on the right track with my two painters. I've been missing the Wit? statistician too; I hope all is well.

Pete.

Uncle; you are on the right track with my two painters. I've been missing the Wit? statistician too; I hope all is well.

Pete.

Right then I'm going to say Norman Wilkinson and John Graham Kerr.

NF is also unusually quiet.

Wrong side of the channel, landward rather than seaward, one had belonged to a movement ending in 'ist', the other didn't hence the chalk and cheese comment. I have to admit that I haven't looked in on the thread as often as I would like as I've been writing some stuff up, but as you say it is quiet. NF, JP, David and Mr B have joined the longer term absentees like Mick and Lord Drill. Was it something we said?

Pete.