The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Good evening,

I haven't had much time on the Forum as much in recent weeks so I've avoided this addictive thread !

May I offer these two brothers for your identification; we've had one before: one died in 1914 and his son in 1918. His brother shared his son's name and was an admiral.

post-48281-0-55293300-1412709946_thumb.p

Stuck on Uncle George's chap. Australian?

Meanwhile - Who is this author and poet?

He enlisted in the army in 1914, was shot down in May 1918, and spent the last months of the war as a POW.

JP

He enlisted in the army in 1914, was shot down in May 1918, and spent the last months of the war as a POW.

JP

He is James Norman Hall, I'm pretty sure.

You're right Uncle George - James Norman Hall, Croix de Guerre, Legion d'Honneur, Medaille Militaire, US Distinguished Service Cross.

Royal Fusilliers, Lafayette Escadrille, "Hat-in-the-Ring" Squadron.

He started the war as a machine gunner with the Royal Fusilliers, fought at the Battle of Loos, and wrote Kitchener's Mob: Adventures of an American in the British Army (1916). After the war he co-wrote a number of books with fellow WW1 pilot Charles Nordhoff - including Mutiny on the Bounty.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

I'm getting nowhere with Mr Marsdin's brothers who don't even look like brothers.

Here's an easy one. Who is this famous chap with pipe?

JP

post-105192-0-12586600-1412965336_thumb.

Looks like Ashley Wilkes to me. Sorry, Leslie Howard of the Northamptonshires during the Great War. Looks like a later photograph (assuming that I'm right that is). I haven't a clue (as usual) with Steve's siblings either.

Pete.

Looks like Ashley Wilkes to me. Sorry, Leslie Howard of the Northamptonshires during the Great War. Looks like a later photograph (assuming that I'm right that is). I haven't a clue (as usual) with Steve's siblings either.

Pete.

Mr Pete has got him! Leslie Howard/Ashley Wilkes it is.

He joined the Northamptonshires in February 1915, was deemed fit for active service by a Medical Board in January 1916, but relinquished his commission 4 months later. He was killed in 1943 when commercial flight 777 was shot down over the Bay of Biscay.

JP

Sorry for the absence (and absence of clues !). I think Pete's posted one of the brothers before, the one killed in 1914; his son served in the 10e BCP and died from wounds in 1918.

I am ashamed to say that having been through David's spreadsheet of past Wit?s I am still none the wiser. It's been fun looking back at some of the jolly japes and topping fun however.

Pete.

I'm still struggling with JP's but whilst I continue searching here's a further clue for my brothers: although one rose to be an admiral they were both politicians

Would the inland waterway be in Africa ? Commander Geoffrey Spicer-Simson ?

Would the inland waterway be in Africa ? Commander Geoffrey Spicer-Simson ?

Yes to both Mr Marsdin. Geoffrey Basil Spicer-Simson, China Medal, DSO, Belgian Order of the Crown, Belgian Croix de Guerre, Monaco Order of St Charles.

Under his command a 'ready made' navy, consisting of 2x 40 ft wooden motor-boats named Mimi and Toutou, was transported over 9,000 miles by 28 men to defeat a superior German force on Lake Tanganyika.

JP

Edited by helpjpl

Curses, I started with the Tigris and Euphrates with Africa as my second guess. Nice one Steve and a good subject JP. Still none the wiser about the siblings; the only politician I can remember posting is Eddie Derby but I fear that I will have oeuf en visage very soon.

Pete.

Hi Pete,

The elder brother was more famous than the admiral and has countless streets, avenues and squares named after him in France, Belgium and elsewhere. His body lies in the Pantheon, Jacques Brel wrote a song about him........

Aha! Jean Jaurès (maybe).

Pete.

Yep !

Jean and Louis Jaures; Jean's son, also called Louis died from wounds, fighting on the Aisne in June 1918