The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

That sounds like Lloyd George!

Ron

Didn't mean to stop the show. This is 'im wot said it about K of K

Mike

I've been looking at Esher's 'The Tragedy of Lord Kitchener' of late, and thought perhaps it's him. But no - it's Sir George MacMunn.

How about this chap. (Does anyone read 'Private Eye'?)

One of my first WiTs (my second, I think) was a man who, despite being in Asquith's Cabinet before and into the Great War, twice Home Secretary, Foreign Secretary, Chancellor of the Exchequer and Churchill's Lord Chancellor until 1945, is now virtually forgotten - Sir John Simon.

This man, my post 1072, was also Home Secretary (and also seems almost forgotten these days.)

H. L. Mencken. Really need to buy a biography of him one day ...

# 1071 - a team player.

JP

He is John Edward "Jack" Raphael. Born in Belgium and died there of wounds on 11 June 1917. Capped nine times for England at rugby union and played first-class cricket with Surrey. Author of Modern Rugby Football.

Raphael and his mother were in the news earlier this year

First World War: how a mother was finally reunited with her dead son

JP

post-105192-0-69600500-1413993116_thumb.

Who is this ?

JP

# 1090. He is chain-smoking cartoonist Herbert Samuel "Bert" Thomas. MBE. Artists Rifles.

He had a long association with Punch and London Opinion. On 11 November 1914 the Weekly Dispatch used his cartoon "Arf a mo' Kaiser" for their campaign, which raised an estimated £250,000, to provide front line troops with cigarettes and tobacco.

JP

post-105192-0-51964700-1414325325_thumb.

• 2 months later...

Well I go off line for a mere four months and come back only to find my favourite thread has ground to a halt!

I think I still have a couple of folk up my sleeve. I'll post them in case anyone is still out there with a picture identification craving.

post-66715-0-96080500-1419856010_thumb.p

This chap wrote a memoir that is ripe for republication during the centenary. I'm rereading it at the moment and it is as good as any in describing the day to day hum drum life in an infantry battalion on the Western Front.

post-66715-0-77596800-1419856263_thumb.p

This stern fellow was on the other side and went on to be a film star famous for one role

David

Welcome back Ridgus. How is the daughter who had the traffic accident ? Well, I hope.

Second one is - who else, Nosferatu himself, Max Schreck.

First 'un - irritatingly puzzling.

Thank you Mr D, it is very nice to be back. My daughter is fully recovered and back at University I'm glad to say. The genius consultant who operated on her and then oversaw her recovery, saving her from both partial blindness and disfigurement, has my family's undying gratitude. As you can imagine we are not sorry to see the back of 2014!

You have of course correctly identified Herr Shreck.

The other served in the battalion well known for its writers

David

Since we are putting the band back together can we identify this bouncing boy? Cavalryman and flyboy in the war. A leg wound contributed to his choice of career....

Pete.

post-101238-0-39152100-1419868223_thumb.

Nungesser?

Gareth, not that accomplished as far as I can tell. His fame is outside the sphere of the Great War but played a part in it.

Pete.

So let's get this right Pete, to welcome David back you post a painting of a young child, with no distinguishing features but tell us he was a cavalryman turned flyboy..... we start thinking ,Richtofen, Nungesser etc........then you tell us he was a flyboy of no particular fame....... Can we have a clue ? (I might even let my father-in-law cheer on Everton on Thursday :thumbsup: )

Steve. since my boys need all the help they can get at the moment a clue is the least I can do. Famous father. That's all I'm saying at the moment.

Pete.

The painting is very, very good, his father was famous, you have a French leaning (pardon the expression !) Jean Renoir,

Steve, I resent that; I have been entirely upright and vertical throughout the festive period. Spot on, Jean Renoir it is, painted by his father Auguste. I can't find a lot about his war service but he was wounded in the leg and watched a lot of movies while he was recuperating. And of course "Grand Illusion", one of his masterpieces is about French prisoners of war in WW1.

Pete.