The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

A clue for mine at #1149: despite been a constant victor he was replaced by both Joffre and Gallieni ?

Another clue: despite having fought in the Franco-Prussian War, he outlived both of those two who replaced him ?

Another clue: despite having fought in the Franco-Prussian War, he outlived both of those two who replaced him ?

Steve

Michel?

David

That's him, General Victor-Constant Michel; replaced by Joffre as the top man in 1911 and then by Gallieni after he had been given the military-governorship of Paris, in 1914

Inmates and Witters

Today is the first anniversary of this thread (in its current and former incarnation). I doubt even the omniscient Centurion would have thought his innocent post - "One feels one ought to recognise this guy with the pince-nez" - would have snowballed quite so spectacularly.

Anyway as wholly self appointed statistician I have updated my WIT spreadsheet and will be sending it out to those in receipt of Version 1 back in August. For those who haven't got a copy it contains a list of all the WITs and WAIWAs in chronological order with who set them and who solved them. It then sorts them by setter and solver. If you would like a copy please PM me.

The overall stats for the year, as of an hour ago, were 9,394 posts, 101,096 views and 1154 WITS and WAIWAs; which considering the hiatus from 26th October to 29th December is pretty impressive. Taking out the two month fallow period we have averaged roughly 110 WITs, 900 posts and 10,000 views a month across the year.

And before anyone says we should get out more I would remind them of the words of Sheldon Cooper 'If outside is so good, why has mankind spent thousands of years trying to perfect inside?'

David

New Year, new WAIWA. Who is Sir John French writing about here?

"Throughout my period of Commander-in-Chief he wholly justified the estimate which I had formed of his capacity and capability in the field. He enjoyed the full confidence of the officers and men who served under him. Possessed of iron nerve and indomitable courage, he remained imperturbable and unmoved in face of the most difficult and precarious situations. No matter how arduous the task imposed upon him he never made difficulties, but always carried out the rôle assigned to him with energy and skill."

Clue: he has previously appeared in WiT.

Clue: he has previously appeared in WiT.

Who hasn't!!

I can't imagine French being so complimentary about Smith Dorrien or Haig, so is it Plumer?

David

Who hasn't!!

I can't imagine French being so complimentary about Smith Dorrien or Haig, so is it Plumer?

David

Good point!

Not Plumer, no.

"The keenest of soldiers from his early youth, he was Adjutant of his battalion of the Scots Guards. Thence he sought service in Africa, where he did excellent work, although he suffered severely from the climate.

"I had the good fortune to be closely associated with him in the South African War, and there had experience of his fine qualities as a soldier and leader of men. I was delighted to find him with me as one of the three Corps Commanders who fought with the First Expeditionary Force sent to France...

"His conduct of the operations which I am just about to describe was characterised by his customary skill, boldness and decision."

I can say that the answer will come as a surprise.

Well, by a process of elimination it must be Pulteney. That is indeed a surprise, as he never rose above Corps commander and ended up in Home Forces, after a poor showing at Cambrai.

Ron

Well, by a process of elimination it must be Pulteney. That is indeed a surprise, as he never rose above Corps commander and ended up in Home Forces, after a poor showing at Cambrai.

Ron

No surprise really, when you consider the mental stability of the author of the praise of Pulteney2. "1914" was considered the work of splenetic fruitloop by many. (They may have expressed it differently). S-D had to be ordered not to commence an action for defamation when it was published.

Ron

Yes, Pulteney. As has been noted on this thread, his Chief of Staff described him as, "The most completely ignorant general I served under during the war and that is saying a lot." He attended neither Sandhurst nor the Staff College. Yet French tells us:

"It had been my hope to see him in command of an Army, for which I feel sure he was thoroughly qualified; but my withdrawal from France prevented my carrying out my intentions with regard to him."

My daughter's boyfriend has sent me this picture, with the caption/clue 'A disgusting patron saint':

post-66715-0-82546200-1420142132_thumb.p

Any ideas who it is?

David

My daughter's boyfriend has sent me this picture, with the caption/clue 'A disgusting patron saint':

attachicon.gifdri 270.png

Any ideas who it is?

David

No, no idea at all. Is he Irish?

No, no idea at all. Is he Irish?

I must admit I thought there was a celtic look to the chap

No idea David. I'm mentally going through all the patron saints of everything and everywhere. Any further clues from daughter's boyfriend?

They are back from holiday later today so I will ask for clues then

David

I must admit I thought there was a celtic look to the chap

He's German! (the Dadaist artist George Gross (later Grosz). I don't understand the clue though...

Dave.

He's German! (the Dadaist artist George Gross (later Grosz). I don't understand the clue though...

Dave.

Ahh yes of course. St George. Gross=disgusting. Good one!

Who is the chap on the left ? Feel free to identify the British officers apparently staring at Gouraud's crotch too ! but I can't confirm who they are ?

post-48281-0-69770500-1420206363_thumb.j

Here's another photo of him on his own, looking a bit like an under-nourished Patton !:

post-48281-0-73609100-1420208790_thumb.p

Dave.

Ahh yes of course. St George. Gross=disgusting. Good one!

Well played Dave and Caryl. That allows me some saving of face when I next see Tom (who as well as being the nicest man you would meet in a day's march is also ridiculously handsome and off the scale clever - I don't know what my daughter sees in him :whistle:)

David

Who is the chap on the left ? Feel free to identify the British officers apparently staring at Gouraud's crotch too ! but I can't confirm who they are ?

attachicon.gifWIT F (600 x 450).jpg

Is it General Bailloud Steve?

David

It is indeed, David. There are a lot of photos of various officers posing around that destroyed artillery piece, with Bailloud and Gouraud featuring on most.

Steve

I was being a bit disingenuous with this one as I had a similar photo that I planned to use at some future time. Looks like the same photo opportunity but a little more formal. I supect yours came first and then they were called to order!

post-66715-0-89495300-1420209794_thumb.p

David