The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Happy New Year to one and all.

Can`t see any unsolved candidates, so may I offer up this gentleman with Russian leanings?

post-95959-0-78386100-1420222527_thumb.j

Great to have you back on board nf and a Happy New Year to you.

We may have both been off the radar for a while but some things never change: I haven't a clue who your chap is!

David

Thank you, David, and let me remedy the lack of clues provided:

Novelist/journo, he was given a codename by MI5, and passed info on to them about the Ruskies.

Very strong connection to the Lakes. He is buried there, and his most famous work has significantly contributed to tourism there.

Sir Hugh Walpole. And the book is Rogue Herries (which I had to use my extensive library to find out).

Not so sir, I`m afraid.

You might think he was a bird-fancier by the title of the work to which I refer. Fighting birds may well also lead you to him.

Not so sir, I`m afraid.

You might think he was a bird-fancier by the title of the work to which I refer. Fighting birds may well also lead you to him.

Is he E F Benson?

Sorry, uncle, not him either.

Close to both Lenin and Trotski. Married one of their personal secretaries.

Most well known for children`s books.

Sorry, uncle, not him either.

Close to both Lenin and Trotski. Married one of their personal secretaries.

Most well known for children`s books.

Arthur Ransome?

Arthur Ransome it is !

Author of Swallows and Amazons, and someone who apparently led a double life as the Last Englishman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ransome

Arthur Ransome it is !

Author of Swallows and Amazons, and someone who led a double life as the Last Englishman. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Ransome

A dead ringer for Trotsky in that picture.

Alas for technical reasons I have nothing to post at present. When I have resolved them (in a few weeks I hope), I have a naval gentleman unless you have had him in my absence.

R.

I`m admitting to nothing of the sort!

Thank goodness my first post for ages was solved fairly quickly. I wonder if this duo will be source of mystery for very long. Can you tell me the famous author that links them both???

post-95959-0-54111600-1420232609_thumb.jpost-95959-0-94729700-1420232623_thumb.j

I`m admitting to nothing of the sort!

Thank goodness my first post for ages was solved fairly quickly. I wonder if this duo will be source of mystery for very long. Can you tell me the famous author that links them both???

attachicon.gifs1.jpgattachicon.gifs2.jpg

Arthur Conan Doyle, and his son Arthur Alleyne Kingsley.

Arthur Conan Doyle it is, Andrew.

The pictures are firstly his brother Innes, who gives the game away by looking almost a dead ringer for Arthur, and secondly his son Kingsley. Both died at the end of the war, one of pneumonia, and the other of influenza.

Arthur himself was an interesting character. Apart from his fame as a writer, he also played football and cricket at a decent level. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arthur_Conan_Doyle

Oh cripes, this has tied me up this morning looking for contenders UG! I'm hopeless with medals and uniforms, but is the middle decoration a Royal Red Cross medal?

(Good to see you back neverforget!)

Yes! Kathleen Burke. At the outbreak of the GW she volunteered with the British Refugee Commission and worked in Belgium. She escaped from Ostend two days before the Germans invaded. She joined the Scottish Women's Hospital in 1915 as their Organising Secretary and visited many major battle scenes including Vimy Ridge and Verdun where she was wounded.

She was one of the most decorated women of the war. Her credits include Daughters of the Empire of Canada, and she was an Officer de l'Instruction Publique of France, Commander of the Order of the British Empire (apparently the youngest CBE), and a Knight of St. Sava of Serbia. She was awarded the Service Medal, the Victory Medal, the French Red Cross Medal, the Order of Misericorde of Serbia, the Serbian Cross of Charity, the Russian Cross of St. George, and the Greek War Cross.

She wrote of her experiences in 'The White Road to Verdun':

http://www.ourstory.info/library/2-ww1/Burke/whiteroad.html

Brilliantly solved, Caryl, (and thanks for the welcome back) and another great post from U.G.

Another remarkable woman here: Do we know her connection to Haig, and a famous war poem???

post-95959-0-13982100-1420301741_thumb.j

Brilliantly solved, Caryl, (and thanks for the welcome back) and another great post from U.G.

Another remarkable woman here: Do we know her connection to Haig, and a famous war poem???

attachicon.gifgh.jpg

Are we in Poppy territory here nf.

The lady is not Moina Michael but could she be Anna Guerin?

Michael had the idea of the Poppy being a symbol of remembrance but Guerin persuaded Haig to support it. The poem would then be McCrea's 'In Flanders Field'

A lot of supposition but it sort of hangs together

David

It is Moina Michael, David, you are spot on. Not the picture of her in her later years that we are used to seeing though.

One more lady. Gold star if you get this one straight away...

post-95959-0-32518600-1420304959_thumb.j

Well I can't claim that one because I saw no resemblance between the picture you put up and the rather formidable lady shown in the extensive library.

David

It is Moina Michael, David, you are spot on. Not the picture of her in her later years that we are used to seeing though.

One more lady. Gold star if you get this one straight away...

attachicon.gifpm.jpg

Is she Violet Gladys Golding?

"In late August 1917, munitions worker Violet Golding, aged 'sweet 17', became one of the youngest people named to receive the newly constituted Medal of the Order of the British Empire. The award followed an accident at George Kent's Chaul End munitions factory the previous June.

"The accident, caused by a detonator exploding as the then 16-year-old leaned over to take it out of a press, resulted in a finger and thumb of her left hand having to be amputated and extensive burning to her arm."

Thanks UG. I haven't read the book. Now added to my kindle.

My pleasure Caryl. It's worth a read: "One morning I endeavoured to send a parcel to a French soldier; I took my place in a long line of waiting women bound on the same errand. A white-haired woman before me gave the post-office clerk infinite trouble. They are not renowned for their patience, and I marvelled at his gentleness, until he explained: 'Her son died five weeks ago, but she still continues to send him parcels.' "