The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Is she Violet Gladys Golding?

"In late August 1917, munitions worker Violet Golding, aged 'sweet 17', became one of the youngest people named to receive the newly constituted Medal of the Order of the British Empire. The award followed an accident at George Kent's Chaul End munitions factory the previous June.

"The accident, caused by a detonator exploding as the then 16-year-old leaned over to take it out of a press, resulted in a finger and thumb of her left hand having to be amputated and extensive burning to her arm."

Nice try Uncle. Not her though. She had a son killed in 1918 whilst serving as a pilot. He had just been cited for bravery.

His loss spurred her to set up something in his memory.

Nice try Uncle. Not her though. She had a son killed in 1918 whilst serving as a pilot. He had just been cited for bravery.

His loss spurred her to set up something in his memory.

Well the description fits Edith Roosevelt but the picture doesn't!

David

No it`s not her David. The thing that she started is still going today, and was relevant to her as a bereaved mother.

The pictures are firstly his brother Innes, who gives the game away by looking almost a dead ringer for Arthur...

You can say that again - when I saw the picture I thought it was ACD, and just needed a check of his Wiki entry to find out about his nephew!

No it`s not her David. The thing that she started is still going today, and was relevant to her as a bereaved mother.

She is Grace Darling Seibold, founder of the Gold Star Mothers Club.

Yet another fascinating story of which I knew nothing. I suppose my only surprise was that it currently only has 993 members, despite still having a high enough profile to be treated very carefully by prospective Presidential candidates.

David

She looks a fairly formidable lady, and if the rest of the Club are anything like her, I'm not surprised if Presidential candidates treat them with respect!

Ron

Who is this chap? Bonus point if you know what his main claim to fame was.

post-66715-0-71172900-1420321557_thumb.j

Well "sussed", Uncle George. Gold star to you.

Not much chance of me receiving David`s bonus point here, due to my being bottom of the class when it comes to badges etc, but Im gonna stick my neck out and say that I don`t think it`s a French General. (That`s going by the moustache of course.)

A really long shot here, but is it Sir Eric Geddes, the transportation supremo?

Ron

Afraid not Ron. My chap is a Canadian.

David

Having only recently joined the Forum I discovered this thread just a few days ago and have read it through in its current manifestation.

May I join in? I have learned already that I am not much good at finding the answers, and certainly not with the alacrity and sure-footedness of some "competitors", but I may be able to set a few posers.

For example, which not uncontroversial wielder of that which is mightier than the sword was commemorated in the year of his death on a German postage stamp?

The watermark-like image at the back of the head is perhaps the best first clue.

Cheers

Colin

post-116807-0-88250900-1420376914_thumb.

in

Having only recently joined the Forum I discovered this thread just a few days ago and have read it through in its current manifestation.

May I join in? I have learned already that I am not much good at finding the answers, and certainly not with the alacrity and sure-footedness of some "competitors", but I may be able to set a few posers.

For example, which not uncontroversial wielder of that which is mightier than the sword was commemorated in the year of his death on a German postage stamp?

The watermark-like image at the back of the head is perhaps the best first clue.

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin is he Ernst Junger?

Ridgus, your man looks very like Norman Bethune, but as a Major General . . . . can't be . . .can it ?

No it isn't Mr D. My chap made his name at Vimy Ridge and went on to be leader of Canada's Army, although not regarded as successful in that role

David

I have him, David, thanks to the combination of clues given by yourself and Mr.Drill.

He is Andrew Mcnaughton, and his claim to fame was that he invented a "target detection technique" which, according to wiki was a forerunner to radar, and made a great improvement to our artillery.

As you say; his second world war was less esteemed for him.

Have we batted this one around yet? I can`t find him by doing a search of the spreadsheet.

post-95959-0-54885400-1420382471_thumb.j

Colin

Welcome aboard Colin. One of the threads subtitles is 'Hotel California' - 'You can check-out any time you like,but you can never leave'. We all started off saying we were 'not much good' but would 'set a few posers' but you will find that this thread is marginally more addictive than crack so now you are imprisoned with the rest of us old lags!

David

I have him, David, thanks to the combination of clues given by yourself and Mr.Drill.

He is Andrew Mcnaughton, and his claim to fame was that he invented a "target detection technique" which, according to wiki was a forerunner to radar, and made a great improvement to our artillery.

As you say; his second world war was less esteemed for him.

It is McNaughton nf. The article I read said he developed counter battery techniques that accounted for 70% of the German Artillery at Vimy Ridge.

Have we batted this one around yet? I can`t find him by doing a search of the spreadsheet.

attachicon.gifcp.jpg

Well unless I am much mistaken that is Jack Hobbs. He certainly lived through the Great War but was notorious at the time for avoiding enlistment for as long as possible and playing in the Bradford League when County Cricket was cancelled.

David

You are not mistaken at all David. It is Sir Jack Hobbs, but it`s interesting and enlightening to hear about his notoriety, as there is no mention of it on his wiki page. It does say that he was the first cricketer to be knighted, so perhaps for that reason they have decided to write out his bad history.

Welcome aboard Colin. One of the threads subtitles is 'Hotel California' - 'You can check-out any time you like,but you can never leave'. We all started off saying we were 'not much good' but would 'set a few posers' but you will find that this thread is marginally more addictive than crack so now you are imprisoned with the rest of us old lags!

David

Thank-you, David - the bug had already bitten before I made my first post here.

Another German wielder of the mighty pen - perhaps a little more difficult this time as probably not so well known outside Germany. He was, by his own account, a very reluctant soldier in the GW, but nevertheless finished it as a Vize-Feldwebel and field police officer in Romania.

Again commemorated on postage stamps - this time in both West and East Germany, from which you will deduct his leaning to the democratic left

Cheers

Colin

post-116807-0-81331700-1420385610_thumb.

post-116807-0-53754400-1420385611_thumb.

You are not mistaken at all David. It is Sir Jack Hobbs, but it`s interesting and enlightening to hear about his notoriety, as there is no mention of it on his wiki page. It does say that he was the first cricketer to be knighted, so perhaps for that reason they have decided to write out his bad history.

Although there has been no attempt to revise his place in cricket history - still regarded by most judges as the finest of all English batsmen - his character has taken something of a bruising recently. Previously he was portrayed as an almost saintly straightforward man who lived a blameless God fearing life, with practical jokes (the apple pie bed was his specialty) being as close to a rebel as he ever got. However recently his actions - particularly with regard to the Great War have painted him in a slightly less favourable light.

David

Thanks, David. He may well be our first cricketing cad then.

Off to work for the night now. Boo Hoo.

Although there has been no attempt to revise his place in cricket history - still regarded by most judges as the finest of all English batsmen - his character has taken something of a bruising recently. Previously he was portrayed as an almost saintly straightforward man who lived a blameless God fearing life, with practical jokes (the apple pie bed was his specialty) being as close to a rebel as he ever got. However recently his actions - particularly with regard to the Great War have painted him in a slightly less favourable light.

David

An excellent biography:

http://www.thebookbag.co.uk/reviews/index.php?title=Jack_Hobbs:_England%27s_Greatest_Cricketer_by_Leo_McKinstry

There has been a sad lack of Hussars lately, so here's a Dragoon to be going on with. He was in charge of some Hussars when he fell (a clue, if you like to take it)

post-6673-0-00970200-1420392384_thumb.jp