The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Thank-you, David - the bug had already bitten before I made my first post here.

Another German wielder of the mighty pen - perhaps a little more difficult this time as probably not so well known outside Germany. He was, by his own account, a very reluctant soldier in the GW, but nevertheless finished it as a Vize-Feldwebel and field police officer in Romania.

Again commemorated on postage stamps - this time in both West and East Germany, from which you will deduct his leaning to the democratic left

Cheers

Colin

Is he Ernst Toller?

Accompanied, we all fervently hope and expect, by a selection of 'clues' so arcane and designed to obfuscate that any chance of identifying the person is put back by days.

You remain the standard by which all other cryptic clues are judged Daniel :thumbsup:

David

Author of the finest clue yet . . . . "His photograph is in the Library of Congress . . . . . ."

One more for the night owls. Who is this little girl reading to her brother?

Ghazala may know the answer, which might be a clue, or might not be.

(It's out of a book. Will give the source, when the girl is identified)

Is she Getrude Bell ? Her brother was Sir Maurice Bell, 3rd bart.

JP

Is he Ernst Toller?

No, but you're very much in the right area, although Toller was more revolutionary.

My man died 4 years before Toller of an overdose of sleeping tablets (whether accidentally or not) in self-imposed exile in Scandinavia, where he lived close to a castle/palace after which he named one of his most well-known novels.

Cheers

Colin

Sleeping tablets ? Kurt Tucholsky

Is she Getrude Bell ? Her brother was Sir Maurice Bell, 3rd bart.

JP

That's the one JP. The photo is from the book 'Gertrude Bell: Queen of the Desert': Georgina Howell, and credited to the University of Newcastle.

The movie of the same name is due for release 2015

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1837636/

One of my favourite actors, Damian Lewis, is playing Charles Doughty-Wylie.

Might bring my head out of my 'I'm not watching any more Centenary TV or movies' bucket of sand and go and watch it.

Sleeping tablets ? Kurt Tucholsky

That's him!

But who's this young German lieutenant? (I think he's not been here before, at least in the new thread).

Cheers

Colin

post-116807-0-18181700-1420469967_thumb.

Fa's this?

2gvofoi.jpg

Mike

Half a Jock?

That's him!

But who's this young German lieutenant? (I think he's not been here before, at least in the new thread).

Cheers

Colin

Herr Part?

:thumbsup:

Herr Part?

:thumbsup:

Neither he nor Herr Oil :blush:

He was what might be termed the original "back-stabber" and an advocate of dictatorship... A role model for Oberst Manfred von Holstein? But not himself a "von".

Cheers

Colin

He was what might be termed the original "back-stabber" and an advocate of dictatorship... A role model for Oberst Manfred von Holstein? But not himself a "von".

Cheers

Colin

I think this is a very young Ludendorff

David

If I am right about Ludendorff I think that leaves us with three outstanding:

Steven's - Dragoon

Steve's - chap on a horse

Mike's - half a Scotsman

As (with the exception of siege gunner) all the old guard have returned to duty I think we can stand a fourth - particularly as it is an hussar

post-66715-0-71997900-1420490322_thumb.j

David

If I am right about Ludendorff I think that leaves us with three outstanding:

Steven's - Dragoon

I'm giving it away.

Scots Grey, killed at Monchy. Commanded the 8th Cavalry Brigade (Blues, 10th Hussars, Essex Yeomanry)

Come on people.

Cheers

Colin

Drat, my next guess would have been Ivan Touvin.

I have a lead on my own contribution. Buckle in!

-Daniel

I'm giving it away.

Scots Grey, killed at Monchy. Commanded the 8th Cavalry Brigade (Blues, 10th Hussars, Essex Yeomanry)

Come on people.

He is Charles Bulkeley Bulkeley-Johnson

OK here's my archetypal 'hairy ersed Scotsman' again, slightly larger image. There are enough clues in the image. Not a soldier, though I found one report that said he was called up in late 1918. He may have been jocking joking.

2llg714.jpg

Mike

Mike

I think it is Harry Lauder

David

He is Charles Bulkeley Bulkeley-Johnson

As the History of the Greys said:

"He was a born leader of men; cool and resolute in action, he inspired confidence and affection among all with whom he had to deal, and was invariably served with whole-hearted devotion ... he gave up his life ... to minimise the difficulties and dangers of the advance of his Brigade on Monchy."

Until Mr B resumes his innings, here's another to be going on with:

attachicon.gifWIT G.jpg

The gent on the geegee: Something's whispering "Italy" in my ear and he's not exactly a giant-sized specimen - is it Old Shorty himself, Vittorio Emanuele III, "Sciaboletta"?

Aye ye'r richt laddie. It is Sir Harry Lauder keeping right on to the end of the road to Lauder Ha'. Some nice photos here Click

Mike

He's got a straight walking stick!