The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

He is indeed. Interesting chap, I've just picked up his memoirs as an e-book.

I would have liked to mark the return of the thread's Lord Protector with an obscure animal but I fear that well ran dry many moons ago.

So anyway here is a VC winner to identify:

attachicon.gifdri 274.jpg

The image caught my eye when I stumbled upon it because it is quite unusual to see someone so animated in a picture of that time. It looks very much a 'snap' of later days.

He came to a very bathetic end some years after the war

David

Is he William Allen VC DSO MC? He died accidentally of a drugs overdose.

NF, yours is General d'Amade. His

territorial divisions and Sordet's cavalry corps gave help to the BEF during the great retreat but were then both limogéd in September

Just to confirm that you are correct, of course, Steve.

Is he William Allen VC DSO MC? He died accidentally of a drugs overdose.

No it's not him UG. My chap's fate was that of hundreds of thousands of men in the Great War but vanishingly few in Brighton in the 1920s

He is Captain Henry Platt.

I forgot to add that just before he was killed Captain Pratt wrote a poem which he sent to the Eton Chronicle where it was published along with his obituary.

"Say not of him 'he left this vale of tears,'

Who loved the good plain English phrase

'He died,'

Nor state 'he nobly lived (or otherwise),

Failed or succeeded' – friend, just say

'He tried'."

Uncle, the man on the left is George Marshall, give me a moment and I'll try to indentify the man on the right.

Pete.

...and the man on the right is Henry Tureman Allen, Alaskan explorer and commander of the 90th Division of the AEF at the battle of St-Mihiel. Another very interesting man.

Pete.

Uncle, the man on the left is George Marshall, give me a moment and I'll try to indentify the man on the right.

Pete.

...and the man on the right is Henry Tureman Allen, Alaskan explorer and commander of the 90th Division of the AEF at the battle of St-Mihiel. Another very interesting man.

Pete.

You are absolutely right Pete. Marshall - one of the towering figures of the twentieth century.

You are absolutely right Pete. Marshall - one of the towering figures of the twentieth century.

Couldn't have put it better myself uncle. Good post.

No it's not him UG. My chap's fate was that of hundreds of thousands of men in the Great War but vanishingly few in Brighton in the 1920s

Is he George McKean?

"While he was reportedly still suffering shock, his portrait was painted by Frederick Horsman Varley, one of Canada's war artists. Of this haunting work, the artist's son Peter writes, 'In his characterization of McKean, Varley caught the numbed horror of his shattered soul: rigid, staring, one eye showing a wild defiance, almost rage; the other guarded, cynical, hiding a storm of hatred.' "

Quoted in 'Dictionary of Canadian Biography'.

Is he George McKean?

"While he was reportedly still suffering shock, his portrait was painted by Frederick Horsman Varley, one of Canada's war artists. Of this haunting work, the artist's son Peter writes, 'In his characterization of McKean, Varley caught the numbed horror of his shattered soul: rigid, staring, one eye showing a wild defiance, almost rage; the other guarded, cynical, hiding a storm of hatred.' "

Quoted in 'Dictionary of Canadian Biography'.

How interesting. And what an irony that in the photo I posted he looks so happy.

McKean's fate was dreadfully unlucky. He was originally from England and had emigrated to Canada. After the war he settled in the country of his birth and became the manager of a saw mill. In 1926 he was killed when a circular saw fractured and he was killed by, in effect, shrapnel which hit him in the head.

Here's another Canadian VC

post-66715-0-99228600-1420661660_thumb.j

David

Micheal James O'Rourke, VC, MM, 7th Battalion, CEF (the clue is in the collar dogs)

Micheal James O'Rourke, VC, MM, 7th Battalion, CEF (the clue is in the collar dogs)

Authoritative as always Mr Broomfield. Out of interest, what exactly do they tell you? I never have got my head round these symbols.

Private O'Rourke was a chap you would be very glad to see if you were wounded out in no man's land. The set of his jaw speaks volumes I think.

David

C = Canadian

7 = 7th Battalion (1st British Columbia)

As a general rule, British o.r.s didn't wear collar dogs, so seeing one is a good start on him being Canadian.

This gentleman was called up just before the war ended and spent his time as a medical orderly in a VD clinic. Anybody care to hazard a guess at his identity?

Pete.

post-101238-0-59982900-1420671368_thumb.

McKean's fate was dreadfully unlucky. He was originally from England and had emigrated to Canada.

David

I have not compiled any sort of list, but the proportion of Canadian VC winners who were British born seems very high.

As a general rule, British o.r.s didn't wear collar dogs, so seeing one is a good start on him being Canadian.

That, and the poster describing him as "another Canadian VC"... :whistle:

Bertholt Brecht.

Your status as our chief of men is cemented Mr D; spot on. Brecht was caught up in the youthful enthusiasm for the war as a 16 year old in Augsburg, but apparently seeing the casualty lists disabused him of this very quickly. He got into trouble at school for an unpatriotic response to an essay question based on "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori". He went to study medicine in Munich in 1917 but appears to have been more interested in drama. His second play, 'Drums in the Night" was written during his short military career, it told the story of a soldier returning from the war to find his girlfriend had dumped him for a war profiteer.

Pete.

Your status as our chief of men is cemented Mr D; spot on. Brecht was caught up in the youthful enthusiasm for the war as a 16 year old in Augsburg, but apparently seeing the casualty lists disabused him of this very quickly. He got into trouble at school for an unpatriotic response to an essay question based on "Dulce et decorum est, pro patria mori". He went to study medicine in Munich in 1917 but appears to have been more interested in drama. His second play, 'Drums in the Night" was written during his short military career, it told the story of a soldier returning from the war to find his girlfriend had dumped him for a war profiteer.

Pete.

I just have the mental picture of Lady Ella belting out his words at the Deutschlandhalle in Berlin in 1960 !

Intrestin' chap here - but weren't they all ?

attachicon.gifoot.jpg

Thomas Dinesen, VC.

I just have the mental picture of Lady Ella belting out his words at the Deutschlandhalle in Berlin in 1960 !

Fitzgerald and Mack the Knife I assume. Not that I'm at all envious, perish the thought. Absolutely not. Cue Muttley like muttering........

Right, who is this?

Pete.

post-101238-0-77815900-1420724044_thumb.

Smuts?

Delete that question mark Mr B, Jan Christian it is. Does anyone know the sculptor and his tenuous connection to the Great War?

Pete.

post-101238-0-35036200-1420724783_thumb.