The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Delete that question mark Mr B, Jan Christian it is. Does anyone know the sculptor and his tenuous connection to the Great War?

Pete.

Well it's Epstein and he was a Vorticist and as you and I know Pete, every Vorticist has a. fought in the Great War and b. appeared in this thread!

David

Spot on David. I'd quite forgotten that period when the thread turned into a debate about the place and importance of the Vorticists, how time flies.

Pete.

Here's another overseas entry; who is to the left of "Poirot" (i.e on his right):

post-48281-0-24112200-1420734342_thumb.p

Delete that question mark Mr B, Jan Christian it is. Does anyone know the sculptor and his tenuous connection to the Great War?

Pete.

Tenuous ? Didn't Jacob Epstein serve in 23rd (?) London Regiment - the Jewish Legion ?

Fitzgerald and Mack the Knife I assume.

You assume correctly, be-bop doodly woodly wah wah stat ! It was the time she forgot the words, and sang not only scat, but made up a few lines about "singin' in old Berlin Town . . . . "

I just have the mental picture of Lady Ella belting out his words at the Deutschlandhalle in Berlin in 1960 !

Ah, the Deutschlandhalle - I remember it from the 1970s. Demolished 3 years ago. I assume you have the LP?

Cheers

Colin

Tenuous ? Didn't Jacob Epstein serve in 23rd (?) London Regiment - the Jewish Legion ?

He did, bad choice of a word. His service is quite interesting but brief as far as I can tell. He was producing sculpture into 1917 and in the spring of 1918 he apparently pulled strings with Churchill's mother Jenny to avoid being sent back to France. His training however was captured on film........

Pete.

I`m wondering if Steve`s post #1331 is Dubail?

Another brave lady whom I`m sure someone will swiftly identify, but who doesn`t seem to have appeared on WIT as yet.

post-95959-0-39872900-1420748417_thumb.j

High-end numbers of the Royal Fusiliers, I think. 38th, possibly?

Now, I really can`t believe that this famous maverick hasn`t yet entered the fray.

Another one that`s going to fly. post-95959-0-20470100-1420755497_thumb.j

Colin's right, Roques in 1911 with Japanese General Nogi Maresuke.

My maverick is well known for his truly biblical exploits against Johnny Turk as well as on the Western front against the Germans.

Recipient of:

Distinguished Service Order and Bar.
Croix de Guerre with palm.
Chevalier of the Légion d'honneur.......(To name just three.)
At least two historic "firsts" to his name. Both connected to flying.

I`m wondering if Steve`s post #1331 is Dubail?

Another brave lady whom I`m sure someone will swiftly identify, but who doesn`t seem to have appeared on WIT as yet.

attachicon.gifes.jpg

Emilienne Moreau ?

Emilienne Moreau ?

Sorry, Mr.Drill. cdr (Carl) already bagged that one #1339. It was Gabrielle Petit.

# 1341 Charles Rumney Samson in Sopwith Schneider ? Known for flying anything off anything anywhere against anybody.

# 1341 Charles Rumney Samson in Sopwith Schneider ? Known for flying anything off anything anywhere against anybody.

That sounds about right, RodB.

As well as driving one of these anywhere against anybody:post-95959-0-39598800-1420817204_thumb.j

He was one of the war`s most extraordinary characters. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Rumney_Samson

First to take off from a ship in an aeroplane. First to conduct a night-bombing raid. He also commanded the first British armoured vehicles used in combat. Bombed a Turkish staff car but only succeeded in breaking the windscreen; one of the occupants was Mustafa Kemal. Created havoc around Antwerp with his armoured vehicles, and occupied Lille with a total force of three men.

In short, a bit like having Rambo on your side I reckon.

No. Her name was not Lawrence. Nor was it Shaw...

Arabia? Long shot I'll admit.

Pete.