The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Nope, you are missing the wood for the trees.....

Pete.

Well presumably not Evelyn, but is it another Wood?

David

PS I presumed you were channelling your inner Marsdin Pete!

...if you think we're on the run'. Ah, Bud Flanagan.

The young chap in the first photo went on to join the forces........

post-101238-0-90613400-1421097358_thumb.

Well presumably not Evelyn, but is it another Wood?

David

PS I presumed you were channelling your inner Marsdin Pete!

Sorry David, we crossed in the post. I think the clues I have selected have a Marsdinesque fiendishness. I still have some way to go to reach Daniel's standard; so I'll just say my man was in the British Army. But he is bigger than a wood.

Pete.

...if you think we're on the run'. Ah, Bud Flanagan.

The young chap in the first photo went on to join the forces........

What a great picture. It's at times like this I get so annoyed at my ignorance of cap badges and collar dogs (in fact if it wasn't for Mr Broomfield I would not even know they were called collar dogs!)

Well it's not Nathan Bedford Forrest, and I can't think of anyone called Driver (other than Minnie) so your 'bigger than a wood' clue has me beaten my friend

David

PS you might not believe this (well actually you probably would) but I was even reduced to googling whether there was anyone called Birnam in the Army!

It is most definitely not the great Nathan Bedford Forrest but you are in the right area of woodland, but it's not personal. My man or possibly his sidekick and their troops found something, how they used it is why we remember them. They also posed one of the great questions of the Great War.

Pete.

It is most definitely not the great Nathan Bedford Forrest but you are in the right area of woodland, but it's not personal. My man or possibly his sidekick and their troops found something, how they used it is why we remember them. They also posed one of the great questions of the Great War.

Pete.

Got it.

They are Sherwood Foresters. They found a printing press. They brought out 'The Wipers Times' and they posed the question 'Am I offensive enough?' This must be Fred Roberts.

David

Edit: checked Heather's door (she has the cartoon stuck on it) 'Am I as offensive as I might be?'

Haig ?

Rod, not Haig; this guy was probably as far from Haig as it is possible to get......

Got it.

They are Sherwood Foresters. They found a printing press. They brought out 'The Wipers Times' and they posed the question 'Am I offensive enough?' This must be Fred Roberts.

David

Edit: checked Heather's door (she has the cartoon stuck on it) 'Am I as offensive as I might be?'

Curses. I knew I was being too generous with the clues; the boy Marsdin would have run this one out for days. The great Fred Roberts it is, the editor in chief of the Wipers Times and you've even got the question. He is in the middle of the picture holding his stick across his knee. The rather miserable chap top left looks a bit like Michael Palin to me and that was going to be a clue given that Palin played Roberts' commanding officer in Ian Hislop's outstanding dramatisation. I wonder if Jack Pearson one of the men in the picture as I've not been able to find one of him (other than the attached).

Right, no more Mr Nice Guy from now on........

post-101238-0-19573800-1421106550_thumb.

Not only a TV portrayal (presumably the Beeb's docu-drama last year), but comparing the two photos, they managed to get the pioneer badges on the wrong bit of the collar and forget the regimental collar dogs.

Well played, BBC.

Rod, not Haig; this guy was probably as far from Haig as it is possible to get......

Curses. I knew I was being too generous with the clues; the boy Marsdin would have run this one out for days. The great Fred Roberts it is, the editor in chief of the Wipers Times and you've even got the question. He is in the middle of the picture holding his stick across his knee. The rather miserable chap top left looks a bit like Michael Palin to me and that was going to be a clue given that Palin played Roberts' commanding officer in Ian Hislop's outstanding dramatisation. I wonder if Jack Pearson one of the men in the picture as I've not been able to find one of him (other than the attached).

Right, no more Mr Nice Guy from now on........

Rupert Brooke ? Colourised photograph or TV or film portrayal ? How would anybody in uniform get away with such long hair ? Appears to be officer's uniform but no Sam Brown strap. Preferred Baldrick's war poetry myself.

Rupert Brooke ? Colourised photograph or TV or film portrayal ? How would anybody in uniform get away with such long hair ? Appears to be officer's uniform but no Sam Brown strap. Preferred Baldrick's war poetry myself.

Rod, this is English actor Julian Rhind-Tutt playing Jack Pearson who was Fred Roberts' sidekick on the Wipers Times in the dramatisation of the same name. When it was released about 18 months ago it generated a long thread on the forum which had some very funny by-play about the accuracy of the uniforms and equipment. If you get the chance to see the Wipers Times it it's worth it; I thought it was brilliant.

Pete.

Pete

I share your views on the Wipers Times play.

It also prompted the Times into a mea culpa for not having given either man an obituary on their death in the 1960s. The belated obituaries included a group picture of the Foresters with Roberts and Pearson picked out. Although not absolutely clear  Pearson most closely resembles the man sat on Roberts' left. It would be clear if the picture was of them standing as the Times image shows Pearson to have been very tall and a good head taller than Roberts

David

Whilst we're puzzling over "the man from Uncle", who's this:

post-48281-0-03717200-1421163135_thumb.p

If Tom Robinson had continued beyond the motorway, an American may have got his date of death

Major Charles White Whittlesey ? I was just reminiscing about my first visit to the Argonne on another thread earlier today.He has a remarkable resemblance to John Lennon.

Major Charles White Whittlesey ? He has a remarkable resemblance to John Lennon.

Yes! The commander of the "Lost Battalion".

Is your man Klaus Uebe? He died on Feb 3 68.

(Best I could do)

No, but you're along the right lines UG.

Is it Mikołaj Abramowicz, Steve?

Who is this???post-95959-0-54673200-1421178511_thumb.j

Killed at second Ypres. Reputedly the most visited grave on the western front.

Who is this???attachicon.gifsy.jpg

Valentine Strudwick? The 15 year old with the romantic name, buried at Essex Farm.

David

Who is this???attachicon.gifsy.jpg

I think this must be Thomas Barratt VC, buried in Essex Farm Cemetery

For most conspicuous bravery when as Scout to a patrol he worked his way towards the enemy line with the greatest gallantry and determination, in spite of continuous fire from hostile snipers at close range. These snipers he stalked and killed. Later his patrol was similarly held up, and again he disposed of the snipers. When during the subsequent withdrawal of the patrol it was observed that a party of the enemy were endeavouring to outflank them, Pte. Barratt at once volunteered to cover the retirement, and this he succeeded in accomplishing. His accurate shooting caused many casualties to the enemy, and prevented their advance. Throughout the enterprise he was under heavy machine gun and rifle fire, and his splendid example of coolness and daring was beyond all praise. After safely regaining our lines, this very gallant soldier was killed by a shell.

Although my understanding was that the most visited grave was that of Valentine Strudwick, who was KIA 1916 aged just 15 - also at Essex Farm

Cheers

Colin

Edit - ooops, getting my Ypreses muddled..... :blush:

It`s neither Strudwick or Barratt, sorry chaps.

The thing that he is very well known for has now been proved to apply to someone else.

Many of his visitors would be from the Emerald Isle.

It`s neither Strudwick or Barratt, sorry chaps.

The thing that he is very well known for has now been proved to apply to someone else.

Many of his visitors would be from the Emerald Isle.

John Condon? For a long time reputed to be the youngest soldier killed in the war

David