The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Colin and NF its not Blumentritt or Abramowicz. He had a more princely disposition.

Correct, once again, David, and another surprising omission so far.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/real-life-stories/brave-story-youngest-soldier-ww1-3927739

John Condon? For a long time reputed to be the youngest soldier killed in the war

David

...........And which dubious honour was more recently transfered to Sidney Lewis, whom I seem to remember posting here way back when: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2499832/Sidney-Lewis-Youngest-WW1-soldier-fought-Somme-aged-13.html

Correct, once again, David, and another surprising omission so far.

I think simply because it is so hard to find a picture of the poor lad

David

Whilst we're puzzling over "the man from Uncle", who's this:

attachicon.gifWIT I.PNG

If Tom Robinson had continued beyond the motorway, an American may have got his date of death

So we are looking for someone who died on 4 February 1968. (An American would write this: 2/4/68. Tom Robinson had a song '2468 Motorway'.) He is of princely disposition.

No, still no idea.

Not quite UG but you've got the right idea........."continued beyond".........

Not quite UG but you've got the right idea........."continued beyond".........

OK, so as far as I can see it must be Norbert von Hellingrath, who died 14 December 1916 - i.e. US-style 12-14-16 - in Douaumont.

Cheers

Colin

Edited to add place of death

Close but, too far ........ (if I remember the lyrics correctly !!!)

Close but.... (if I remember the lyrics correctly !!!)

So - he was a heavy user of cocaine!

(I suppose it is possible to over-analyse these things.)

Another clue: he was the great-grandson of Queen Victoria ?

Ok, one last try - I really need to get some work done!

Prince Oleg Konstantinovitch of Russia

Died 12 October 1914 = 10-12-14

Although your clues make me think of Max of Hesse-Kassel, but his date of death was, I think, 13 October 1914, so not a suitable sequence....

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

You're correct

It is Prince Max, the sources I have checked have his death as 12/10/2014

post-48281-0-40168400-1421239323_thumb.p

Hi Colin,

You're correct

It is Prince Max, the sources I have checked have his death as 12/10/2014

attachicon.gifWIT III.PNG

There seems to be an absolute dearth of information in the great library in the clouds on Maximilian (Friedrich Wilhelm Georg) of Hesse-Kassel and he doesn't have his own Wikipedia page either on English or German, nor is he mentioned in any lists of deaths in 1914 that I have been able to find.

Mont des Cats was certainly taken on 12.10.14 and he was certainly mortally wounded during that day's fighting. I have no desire or intention to start a debate on the subject, but just as a a matter of interest, there does seem to be some doubt - perhaps he actually died during the night?

The English Wiki page on his father gives his DoD as 13.10.14, (the equivalent German page just gives the year)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_Frederick_Charles_of_Hesse

as does this genealogy site

http://www.onetrees.com/genealogy/getperson.php?personID=I155157&tree=tree1

and there's hardly anything else I found on him...

Cheers

Colin

Hi Colin,

What I found interesting about him is what happened post-death, with both the Pope and King George V reportedly involved in attempts to get his body repatriated.

Hi Colin,

What I found interesting about him is what happened post-death, with both the Pope and King George V reportedly involved in attempts to get his body repatriated.

Yes, quite a powerful combination - but I can also well understand the villagers' attitude too after they realised whose nephew he was. I guess it's quite possible that GVR knew him fairly well personally.

Cheers

Colin

Sounds credible.

Young soldier ye say ?

Who's this . . .

attachicon.gifcorporal jones.jpg

Tentative wild guess......William Young VC?

If, as I fully expect, I was wide of the mark with my last guess, then this fellow would have been my next guess.

Who is it???post-95959-0-94308400-1421263121_thumb.j

If, as I fully expect, I was wide of the mark with my last guess, then this fellow would have been my next guess.

Who is it???attachicon.gifyo.jpg

NF is this Robert McBeath ? ? ? He won the VC aged 19.

NF is this Robert McBeath ? ? ? He won the VC aged 19.

It is indeed, UG, well sussed. Scotland`s youngest soldier to win the V.C. and tragically killed just after the war, at the age of 23, whilst carrying out his duties as a police officer. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_McBeath

Tentative wild guess......William Young VC?

Nope. But as it hasn't generated any other responses, I'll name him. (#1454)

Wilfred Owen.

My earlier pic of Thomas Dinesen VC (#1320) was quickly identified with little discussion, which I thought a bit of a shame. He was a Dane who served in the Canadian Black Watch, but more interesting - perhaps - was the brother of Karen Blixen (Out of Africa).

Hey ho.

My earlier pic of Thomas Dinesen VC (#1320) was quickly identified with little discussion, which I thought a bit of a shame. He was a Dane who served in the Canadian Black Watch, but more interesting - perhaps - was the brother of Karen Blixen (Out of Africa).

Hey ho.

Sorry: I recognised the photo from somewhere. I knew the connection with Meryl Streep Karen Blixen but was in a rush.