The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Sorry: I recognised the photo from somewhere. I knew the connection with Meryl Streep Karen Blixen but was in a rush.

Dimittuntur tibi.

Go and sin more.

Manage that ?

"Tom, I'm done. Throw me overboard"

Better had be, after that ! Thomas Crisp VC DSC RNR ?

Yes, that's the one.

The book I was reading *Birds and The War has this '...Homing Pigeons were extensively used by our fleet, and it is recorded that Skipper Thomas Crisp, V.C., who died at the wheel under fire from a German submarine, lived long enough to despatch a message by Pigeon : through the timely arrival of the bird his son and crew were saved...

How true that is I have no idea, but it prompted me to read more about him.

(*Birds and The War Hugh S Gladstone 1919. https://archive.org/details/birdswar00glad )

Yes, that's the one.

The book I was reading *Birds and The War has this '...Homing Pigeons were extensively used by our fleet, and it is recorded that Skipper Thomas Crisp, V.C., who died at the wheel under fire from a German submarine, lived long enough to despatch a message by Pigeon : through the timely arrival of the bird his son and crew were saved...)

How true that is I have no idea, but it prompted me to read more about him.

The very bird - Pigeon 498

post-86463-0-76116000-1421348160_thumb.j

Birds and the War?

Who is this VC winner ? ? ?

Birds, war, and the "young" link re-appears, if I am correct. UG. I think it`s William Gosling.

Birds, war, and the "young" link re-appears, if I am correct. UG. I think it`s William Gosling.

Gosling it is NF.

How I missed you in the Autumn!

Gosling it is NF.

How I missed you in the Autumn!

Very kind of you, Uncle George. I very much missed my WIT pals here too, but bereavement followed by pneumonia made my Autumn one that I wish I had missed altogether.

Anyway, all that behind now, so.......... another three amigos for you to identify, with a link that I think you will automatically know if you recognise any of them. If anyone`s keeping score, there are three points up for grabs here, plus a bonus for the link.

post-95959-0-14487600-1421352512_thumb.jpost-95959-0-39738900-1421352525_thumb.jpost-95959-0-04571800-1421363054_thumb.j

If anyone`s keeping score,

I think we all know the answer to that

David (aka Saddo Statto)

Obfuscation here I must admit, but perfectly true nevertheless:

One was born in Scotland, one was born in Ireland, and one was born in Canada. End of obfuscation.

This knowledge would lead you further away from the thing that links them, than anything I could think of.

Now that`s a proper clue.

I'm rubbish at badges and other insignia but is the chap on the left in the RAMC?

David

'This knowledge would leave you further away from the thing that links them...' is the clue? Now, I'll be puzzling over that one in my sleep NF!

Anything to do with some form of transport? Planes, trains, ships, tanks, subs, cars, ambulances, motorbikes, airships, balloons? Or...?

I heartily endorse these latest clues!

:thumbsup:

You have a lot to answer for Daniel!

Obfuscation here I must admit, but perfectly true nevertheless:

One was born in Scotland, one was born in Ireland, and one was born in Canada. End of obfuscation.

This knowledge would lead you further away from the thing that links them, than anything I could think of.

Now that`s a proper clue.

The chap on the right as we look at them is Frederick Hall VC.

The chap on the right as we look at them is Frederick Hall VC.

That`s one point to the Unc. Won`t be long now....

And to continue Caryl's theme of 'Birds and the War', who is this ? ? ?

Very close to home for me, this one. A fellow Brummie, Norman Finch V.C.

I'm rubbish at badges and other insignia but is the chap on the left in the RAMC?

David

'This knowledge would leave you further away from the thing that links them...' is the clue? Now, I'll be puzzling over that one in my sleep NF!

Anything to do with some form of transport? Planes, trains, ships, tanks, subs, cars, ambulances, motorbikes, airships, balloons? Or...?

The chap on the left was a "little black devil", (who worked on the railways as a surveyor before joining up, which sort of ticked one of Caryl`s boxes :), and the chap in the middle was from The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada.

All of them; from Pine Street to this:post-95959-0-93440100-1421399909_thumb.j

Very close to home for me, this one. A fellow Brummie, Norman Finch V.C.

Quite right.

Continuing the 'Birds and the War' theme, who might this be ? ? ?

post-108430-0-44714100-1421400877_thumb.

The chap on the left was a "little black devil", (who worked on the railways as a surveyor before joining up, which sort of ticked one of Caryl`s boxes :), and the chap in the middle was from The Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders of Canada.

All of them; from Pine Street to this:attachicon.gifimages.jpg

Frederick Hall was one of three winners of the Victoria Cross in the GW who lived on Pine Street in Winnipeg. The other two were Leo Clarke and Robert Shankland. Pine Street has since been renamed Valour Road

Frederick Hall was one of three winners of the Victoria Cross in the GW who lived on Pine Street in Winnipeg. The other two were Leo Clarke and Robert Shankland. Pine Street has since been renamed Valour Road

Incredible !

Incredible !

But true! "The Pine Street Boys" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Valour_Road

Excellent piece of deduction, and a clean sweep for Uncle George. :thumbsup:

Quite right.

Continuing the 'Birds and the War' theme, who might this be ? ? ?

Marcus Beak VC and several other gongs I can't recall. RND chap. Came from Southampton, by the way.

Go and sin more.

Peccavi.

Marcus Beak VC and several other gongs I can't recall. RND chap. Came from Southampton, by the way.

Yes! Daniel Marcus Beak.

What about this chap ? ? ? Still on the avian theme (but struggling now):post-108430-0-14466300-1421408307_thumb.

Uncle, is that Lanoe Hawker? A nice touch if it is.

Pete.