The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

Old Bill. A Bairnsfather character. (Are we still bird themed?)

Yes, and yes - 'bill' being the (rather weak!) connection.

Which famous 'Punch' cartoonist drew this ? ? ?

post-108430-0-08085000-1421491619_thumb.

Is it Cyril Kenneth Bird? (Pen name Fougasse)

Leonard Raven-Hill?

Cheers

Colin

Found another one. Is it Bernard Partridge?

Alan Hanbury-Sparrow is the only Royal Berks' man I can find with an avian connection, David, is it him ?

Well found Steve!! Hanbury Sparrow it is.

Wrote 'The Land Locked Lake' about Passchendaele with the 2nd Berks. A really interesting read that featured strongly in my daughter's dissertation on the link of local identity to morale in the Great War - hence him flying into my mind

David

Found another one. Is it Bernard Partridge?

Was to have been my next - and upon reflection, the more likely - guess too.....

Yes, Bernard Partridge.

What is this ? ? ?

post-108430-0-40097000-1421494162_thumb.

Was to have been my next - and upon reflection, the more likely - guess too.....

I wouldn`t bank on it. I think I have more misses than hits on my record. Plus, I thought exactly the same about your Raven-Hill.

I`m very surprised that no one has identified my "murderer" from #1550.

Yes, Bernard Partridge.

What is this ? ? ?

Albatross?

I owe my knowledge of this bird to Airfix.

Those were the days.....Then came the day I got my first air rifle, which resulted in many airfix casualties.

#1550 has the eyes of Lord Lucan, is it one of his ancestors (although I can't think of the avian connection)

Nothing to do with Lord Lucan, Steve. At a rate of one guess per day, that's 36 guesses left.

I wouldn`t bank on it. I think I have more misses than hits on my record. Plus, I thought exactly the same about your Raven-Hill.

Somebody called Shrike, 'The Butcher Bird'? (Just a guess from your murderer clue, although on reflection he sounds more Dickensian than Great War!)

Oh and I'd lined up Raven-Hill too! We've obviously all got the same 'Boys Book of British Birds'

David

Not him David. You would be better off having another look at my last clue regarding the number of days.

German born, this chap is only one letter out from having an avian connection to both his Christian name and his surname. Further. I seem to remember you enjoying the TV programme as much as I did.

Oh and I'd lined up Raven-Hill too! We've obviously all got the same 'Boys Book of British Birds'

David

?

Not him David. You would be better off having another look at my last clue regarding the number of days.

German born, this chap is only one letter out from having an avian connection to both his Christian name and his surname. Further. I seem to remember you enjoying the TV programme as much as I did.

Right so it is someone who was in '37 Days'. Now is this enough of an excuse to rewatch the series this afternoon :hypocrite: Yes I think it probably is. I'm indebted to you as always NF :thumbsup: Will return with the answer late afternoon

David

Edit: recalibrated by the partner in my labours. So I'd better just give the answer: Eyre Crowe

Strewth I hope they caught your bloke UG he sounds a right charmer!

Right so it is someone who was in '37 Days'. Now is this enough of an excuse to rewatch the series this afternoon :hypocrite: Yes I think it probably is. I'm indebted to you as always NF :thumbsup: Will return with the answer late afternoon

David

Edit: recalibrated by the partner in my labours. So I'd better just give the answer: Eyre Crowe

That's the fellow. Probably my favourite character. Finger on the pulse more than most I. m. h. o.

That is simply superb UG ?

That is simply superb UG

Thanks NF. I was more pleased with Cyrus Peck, and Old Bill, as it goes!

A very enjoyable WiT sub-theme. (If there is such a word. Which I doubt.)

Never having heard of '37 Days' there was me trying to find a connection to 22 February (in 37 days) :blush:

Brilliant TV series on the run up to the war. It was shown earlier this year, had a stellar cast and was a great start to the BBC's centenary-fest.

Probably didn't get an airing in Germany (!), but do catch it on YouTube or DVD

David