The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Who is This ? ? ?

Stoppage Drill

If we have exhausted the theme of WW1 personalities with avian like names for the time being can anyone identify the driver of this car? It's a small photo I admit but there are some clues in the background. I've consulted the thread spreadsheet and I was surprised that the individual hadn't featured, but a better photo would be a bit of a giveaway.

Pete

post-101238-0-24629600-1421505298_thumb.

A very enjoyable WiT sub-theme. (If there is such a word. Which I doubt.)

There is now.

In the early days of WIT we had various running themes (although they rarely took off like this one). Amongst these were Balkan men with moustaches (well okay that was just me :blush:), a Sunday evening culture spot (Vorticists were particularly fruitful), film stars (my favourite sub-theme - who would have guessed Ronald Colman was an Old Contemptible), scientists, footballers (majoring on links to Everton), Hussars, animals, TEL, animals to do with TEL, and French generals who look like Robert Nivelle (fish in a barrel that one). So it is nice to finally have a name for them - 'WIT sub-theme' it is

David

A very enjoyable WiT sub-theme. (If there is such a word. Which I doubt.)

Great fun. Bit of a.c. and d.c. in there too.(avian connections and dubious connections.)

I`ll bough out with this one:post-95959-0-66350300-1421506080_thumb.j

This chap is my slightly more obscure offering. Northumberland Fusilier. Unfortunately died in captivity along with many more at the infamous Heilsberg.

If we have exhausted the theme of WW1 personalities with avian like names for the time being can anyone identify the driver of this car? It's a small photo I admit but there are some clues in the background. I've consulted the thread spreadsheet and I was surprised that the individual hadn't featured, but a better photo would be a bit of a giveaway.

Pete

Wild guess, Pete. Is it Edwin Stuart Cole?

Pete

Pete

Enzo Ferrari?

David

Wild guess, Pete. Is it Edwin Stuart Cole?

NF

Not Cole, however having just looked at his biography there are similarities.

P.S. Glad to see your blues doing well, can't say the same for mine at the moment......

Pete

Enzo Ferrari?

David

Nope, there is a clue in the name I gave to the photo and the background vegetation and architecture might hold another. I suspect that when the photo was taken some of the buildings would have been very new.

Pete.

Great fun. Bit of a.c. and d.c. in there too.(avian connections and dubious connections.)

I`ll bough out with this one:attachicon.gifnf.jpg

This chap is my slightly more obscure offering. Northumberland Fusilier. Unfortunately died in captivity along with many more at the infamous Heilsberg.

Clues have taken me to Frank Bower. ('Bower' meaning 'birdcage', it seems).

Blimey. You did say obscure.

Benno Fiala von Fernbrugg? Another wild guess of course, going by the vegitation.

It actually looks like Fonck to me, but he doesn`t seem to tick the boxes.

As regards football, I have to say how surprised I am at the state of play with both our teams. Oh well, hope you take off soon. In my case, the Villa are taking all the local flak, as, I suspect are the reds up your end.

Clues have taken me to Frank Bower. ('Bower' meaning 'birdcage', it seems).

Blimey. You did say obscure.

I was thinking Bower bird to be honest. Well found in any case. It wasn`t an easy one.

Another largely unsung act of selfless heroism, but with a pleasing twist.

I`m not going to string it out. The ship seen is another a.c: H.M.S. Partridge.

Who is the hero???

post-95959-0-23586600-1421510272_thumb.j

Who is the hero???

Possibly Lt. Cdr. Reginald H. Ransome?

Cheers

Colin

Just to give you a few clues as to my racing driver, the race he was participating in was on a site to celebrate the opening of a critical transport link, and the recovery of the city around it. That should give you a nationality, he was as good under the bonnet (or should I say hood) as he was behind the wheel, a skill which almost prevented him following his chosen path in WW1. His name is very recognisable but he had to change it slightly.

Pete.

Sorry Colin not him. Namesake another key 37 Days player.

Lord Morley? No idea what the partridge link is though.

Was there a seaman called Morley on HMS Partridge?

Lord Morley? No idea what the partridge link is though.

Was there a seaman called Morley on HMS Partridge?

There may have been, but it`s not my man.

My man laid down his life for a comrade, and against the odds ended up surviving.

Sorry Colin not him. Namesake another key 37 Days player.

Pretty certain I got him at #1571 NF - Eyre Crowe

Just to give you a few clues as to my racing driver, the race he was participating in was on a site to celebrate the opening of a critical transport link, and the recovery of the city around it. That should give you a nationality, he was as good under the bonnet (or should I say hood) as he was behind the wheel, a skill which almost prevented him following his chosen path in WW1. His name is very recognisable but he had to change it slightly.

Pete.

Is it Gaston Chevrolet?

Who is the hero???

Lt Cdr Aubrey Grey, NF

Not Gaston C. Presumably after the photo opportunity my man would have sped away. If you substitute a one vowel for another you have another clue......

Pete.

Not Gaston C. Presuamably after the photo opportunity my man would have sped away. If you substitute a one vowel for another you have another clue......

Pete.

Spad? I feel I'm being very dim here

Edit: I am being dim - it's Rickenbacker

Spad? I feel I'm being very dim here

Right on the money David. My man had a significant number of the best fighter aircraft of the war to his name which should give you the period during which he fought.

Pete.

Right on the money David. My man had a significant number of the best fighter aircraft of the war to his name which should give you the period during which he fought.

Pete.

Pete

You may not have seen my edit. It's Rickenbacker.

The self inflicted red herring was that I was convinced the setting was Monaco. Your architecture clue and the Spad made me twig San Francisco and Eddie

And that's us all clear I think

David

Good one David, Fast Eddie Rickenbacker it is. The photographed race took place in 1915 around the site of what is erroneously referred to as the San Francisco world fair, it was actually a celebration of the opening of the Panama Canal and the recovery of the city after the 1906 earthquake. Rickenbacker's family were German speaking Swiss originally and he changed the spelling of his name from Richenbacher. His mechanical skills were so good his superiors tried to prevent him flying as he was too useful on the ground; there is also a suggestion that his lack of a college education may have been seen as a drawback. Half of his 26 kills were Fokker D. VII's which is impressive.

Pete.

post-101238-0-64888100-1421520046_thumb.

Next up, and with no a.c.

Who is this???post-95959-0-38826400-1421521013_thumb.j

Pioneered the use of machine guns, radios, and cameras in airplanes.

His forty-year aviation career also included aircraft manufacture, airport management, and the establishment of commercial airlines.

No activity overnight, which is surprising after the furious action of the previous couple of days.

I`ll bump up the clues for my chap in case he`s holding up proceedings:

Ace. Order of the Iron Crown, Order of Leopold, Military Merit Cross, Military Merit Medal, Gold Medal for Bravery, Iron Cross.

Shot down a British ace in an action that was so hot, the British ace was awarded the V.c. even though he lost the fight.